Academy 05

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=19...+academy+denver

I believe this was their last show.

Now that's I've finally seen a video of the show, I can now give my input on where Academy stands in DIV 2.

Compared to the top two DIV 2 corps in 05, their drill was performed well but wasn't as diverse.

Colorguard wasn't on the same level.

Percussion was about the same, but didn't have the same quality in writing.

Brass was AMAZING. The arrangement was kinda dry, but it very well performed.

Overall: they'll easily be in the fight for top 5 in Madison

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, that was last year's show

Also remember...this show (05) was not designed with championships in mind, but rather for Denver, which was their last show.

Given that their design staff will (most likely) create a show with a greater depth and long-range potential to be cleaned and improved upon all the way to championships week, I'm sure they will have a product that will compete for the D-II title...not that they'll necessarily win it, but at least I believe they'll be in contention...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=19...+academy+denver

I believe this was their last show.

Now that's I've finally seen a video of the show, I can now give my input on where Academy stands in DIV 2.

Compared to the top two DIV 2 corps in 05, their drill was performed well but wasn't as diverse.

Colorguard wasn't on the same level.

Percussion was about the same, but didn't have the same quality in writing.

Brass was AMAZING. The arrangement was kinda dry, but it very well performed.

Overall: they'll easily be in the fight for top 5 in Madison

but for percussion what do you mean same quality of writing? does it need to be notes after notes? i personally don't think so. From what i can hear of the perc. book i like it. and then the stuff that i heard on drumline parking lot i liked it....but eh..whatever people have different opinions about how the book should be written....but in the end its how its played...and obviously they don't play too bad..

my 2 cents... if you live on the east coast and want to use this video to more fully base your comparisons off of?

find low quality videos from early/mid july of spartans, ECJ, fever, surf, etc, and watch those....that would be closer to a true comparison.

my 2 cents... if you live on the east coast and want to use this video to more fully base your comparisons off of?

find low quality videos from early/mid july of spartans, ECJ, fever, surf, etc, and watch those....that would be closer to a true comparison.

I really don't think the quality of the video has anything to do with it except as far as sound quality goes... In fact, I think it serves a corps better to have low quality video because it hides visual ticks and some guard work.

Not that I'm saying that Academy is hiding behind that by any stretch of the imagination... Just throwing that out there.

ahh the old let's try to guess a new corps placement....alright i'm game.

July 9, 2005

Spartans ... 78.950

Academy ... 84.250

July 10, 2005

East Coast Jazz ... 78.700

Academy ... 83.200

August 13, 2005

(Academy ... 99.250 <-- projected score)

East Coast Jazz ... 97.475

Spartans ... 97.150

let me explain here:

in over a month before grand finals, East Coast Jazz's score improved 19.045. Spartans' score improved 18.200. Even bumping Academy up only 15.000 to account for the point spread we usually see when Pacific Crest, Mandarins, Esperanza etc. join the rest of the pack, you can see their projected score. Do I honestly think they would have scored 99.250? Probably not, nor do I expect them to win Div II next year in Madison, but if any new corps has a shot, Academy probably has the best shot of any corps in recent history. I DO see them taking a huge stand in Div II, and going Div I within a few years (assuming they want to)

Edited by tubawarrior

Very accurate summation.

"Probably not, nor do I expect them to win Div II next year in Madison, but if any new corps has a shot, Academy probably has the best shot of any corps in recent history. I DO see them taking a huge stand in Div II, and going Div I within a few years (assuming they want to)"