Salute to '81 DCA 25 years and not forgotten

Reading the name Dennis Delucia brings up a story...

I'm sure some of the drummers here would appreciate this...

In 1982, Westshore had Robb Mueller as a drum instructor, Robb

worked with Dennis when he (Robb) marched with Bridgemen (1977, if I'm not mistaken), as well as I think year or two later when he was an assistant instructor, When Robb came

to Westshore, we were used to using whatever sticks we liked, At that point

most people were using those Studio 200 RG's (which were heavy and short)

and a few other models that you needed to cut and just tape the crap out of

for a little heft.

When Robb came in, he told us that we were all going to use the Dennis

Delucia sticks...We got them and most of us hated them because they were a

little light, and didn't hold up, and we were constantly replacing them.

Since we were technically Robb's first line (where he did all of the

writing/arranging/and teaching) He brought Dennis over at a show at one

point to see us warm up and play through a few numbers, when He introduced

Dennis, Someone asked, "Is this the same guy that makes these sticks?" and

he answered, "YES" EVERYONE threw their sticks at his feet and said that

they sucked!! It was hilarious! Dennis didn't know what to do, Robb wanted

to crawl under a rock! (I think we did roll excercises while marching all

the next practice)

Jaminbenb,

Another "small" detail about those days...

As a Mechanical Engineer and inventor/designer/fabricator of the Sunrisers Drum Line harnesses,

(harnesses can be seen in this photo that SunSnare83 has in his sig)

http://www.sunrisers.com/images/photos/198...in_finals.shtml

I also made some "weighted" practice sticks (full sized) 303 stainless steel! Some of the snare drummers used them on rubber pads and some on wooden blocks. A couple min with them and either your wrists were worn out or you were going to be breaking sticks... b**bs

(what do I know, I'm from the horn line and a DM)

I still have a pair around here somewhere.....(they didn't get ruined in the floods, 300 series stainless doesn't rust...hehehe)

Tony B)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, if the George you were talking about was the thin redheaded guy, he unfortunately passed away at a young age.

Secondly, the Sunrisers always had a special respect and camaraderie with the Bucs back then. The key word being respect. We respected what each other stood for and the music we both played. Not surprised the Bucs felt robbed in '81. Didn't they win almost every show that year? Of course we felt "robbed" also. In reality, we just wished we won that year. I believe Hurcs played the show of their lives that night. I just regret that DCA forgot to invoke the penalty for playing Magnificent Seven for the 1,345,875th time. :+) There should have been a 10 point penalty for playing that song. Of course Sun should have been penalized for playing "The Joker" yet again in '80, but we didn't need any penalties that year to not win the show. :+)

The Bucs percussion section made Sun's percussion section handmade medallions sort of like Olympic Gold medals as a sign of respect. I still have mine and will never forget that gesture.

I knew several of the percussionists. I even went to several Bucs practices to watch since in 79-83 I lived in Allentown, PA.

Joe,

Both Corps, Bucs and Sun had pins made and we exchanged them on the field after retreat. Sun's pins said "Sun (heart symbal) Bucs" and the Bucs said "Bucs (heart symbal) Sun", and Donna and I still have ours. They are made of wood (so they made it through the floods), and painted with both Corps colors. I'll look for them, scan and post them....operative words being "look for"....(OK, OK, so I'll ask Donna if she knows where they are....LOL)

Tony B)

Just pulled out the 84 yearbook and the Bari's name was George Setzer, Not sure if any of you guys remembered him or not...

"OSCAR"!!!! b**bs

Tony B)

George "Oscar" Setzer! Marched with us in Sun for several years, then was with Bucs in 1984 and 1985. He's posted here occasionally under the name "OscarBuc."

Fran

BTW, George Smith was the name of the red-headed bari player from Sun. GREAT horn player and a real good guy. Died way too young.

Fran

OPPS!

I should read all the post's before I post..... :blink:

Tony B)

Oscar huh? I don't think we ever called him that (well that I remembered) We always referred to him as George from "Lon GIland"

Westshore used some home made harnesses also, in 78, 79 & 80 they used a strap set up with a foam padded welding shield velcro-ed to the snare which eliminated the need for the leg rest AND kept the drums relatively straight, as well as distributed the weight evenly over your back. I tried a set on and thouht that they were VERY comfortable (but the foam would be a bit HOT for the summer)

THEN when we used racks, someone took a rack that we borrowed from Garfield (I think) to a machine shop and had them made up...they were a little uncomfortable compared to the Pearl racks we had a few years later, but they were easy on and off!

I also remember using some modified snare straps and a back strap to carry marching timps! (with a small pillow) and once you got used to them they were VERY comfortable! (and I'm sure Rick would attest!)

Those heavy sticks would break my wrists these days! but back then they would have some in handy! hahaha!!!

OPPS!

I should read all the post's before I post..... :grouphug:

Tony B)

Edited by Jaminbenb

Well I know one was "glommed" as a prototype..was't sure who the glommER was?!?!

(I was thinking Jeff Kintz for some reason, he was pretty shady!)

Ben, Tom Kelly was the thief...err maker of those racks

Nah...not him! Not to take it off topic... I'll never forget him telling this guy (Brian, I think his name was) Who's mom was built like a brick shipyard that he wanted to "DO" his mom! (which is just funny in and of itself because Jeff had a wife that looked like a model!)

(and speaking of racks) I'm sure that those racks made it to California when Uncle Lar made the sale! (as well as the McDonalds flags, etc)

Well wait...there WAS one that didn't stay on the truck! I know of someone that held one back to get some made for himself (not thinking that the corps equipment would be sold)

Kintz? shady?

:P

Edited by Jaminbenb