1988 Madison Scouts

1989 Phantom Regiment

1992 Crossmen

1993 Star of Indiana

1995 Cavaliers

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard

2004 Carolina Crown

2005 Bluecoats

1975 27th Lancers (Franklin Field - University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia)

Position: 4

Score: 88.05

Crown Imperial (Sir William Walton)

Chameleon (Maynard Ferguson)

Celebrate

Spectrum Novum

Danny Boy (Percy Grainger)

1979 Blue Devils (Legion Field Birmingham, Alabama)

Position: 1

Score: 93.55

Chicago III Suite (Stan Kenton)

La Suerte de Los Tontos (from Cuban Fire Suite) (Johnny Richards)

My Heart Belongs to Me (Barbra Streisand)

1980 Bridgemen (Legion Field Birmingham, Alabama)

Position: 3

Score: 90.05

Thunder and Blazes (J S Seredy)

The Pursuit of the Lady (Joe Zawinul)

In the Stone (Earth, Wind and Fire)

Big Noise from Winnetka (from Reveille with Beverly) (Bob Haggart)

War Between the States

1984 Garfield Cadets (Grant Field - Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta, Georgia)

Score: 98.0

West Side Story - Selections from West Side Story (Leonard Bernstein)

1988 Madison Scouts (Arrowhead Stadium Kansas City, Missouri)

Score: 97.1

Concerto For Guitar and Jazz Orchestra (Paul Hart)

Malaguena (Ernesto Lecuona)

1989 Phantom Regiment (Arrowhead Stadium Kansas City, Missouri)

Position: 2

Score: 98.4

New World Symphony

1st Movement (from Symphony No. 9) (Antonin Dvorak)

2nd Movement (from Symphony No. 9) (Antonin Dvorak)

Slavonic Dances No. 1 (Antonin Dvorak)

4th Movement (from Symphony No. 9) (Antonin Dvorak)

1992 Crossmen (Camp Randall Stadium - University of Wisconsin, Madison)

Position: 6

Score: 92.2

Songs for the Planet Earth

Begin, Sweet World (Richard Stoltzman)

Appalachian Morning (Paul Halley)

The Four Elements (Matt Krempasky)

The Rain Forest (Full Circle)

Under the Sun (Paul Winter)

1993 Star of Indiana (Veterans Memorial Stadium Jackson, Mississippi)

Position: 2

Score: 97.3

The Music of Barber and Bartok

Parados (from Medea) (Samuel Barber)

Kantikos Agonias (from Medea) (Samuel Barber)

Allegro (from Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste) (Bela Bartok)

Dance of Vengence (from Medea) (Samuel Barber)

1995 Cavaliers (Rich Stadium Orchard Park, New York)

Score: 98.3

The Planets

Mars (from The Planets) (Gustav Holst)

Venus (from The Planets) (Gustav Holst)

Mercury (from The Planets) (Gustav Holst)

Jupiter (from The Planets) (Gustav Holst)

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard (Camp Randall Stadium - University of Wisconsin, Madison)

Position: 1 (TIE with BD)

Score: 98.4

Inventions for a New Millennium

The Canyon (Phillip Glass)

Symphony No. 2 (Samuel Barber)

Symphony No. 1 (Samuel Barber)

Blue Shades (Frank Ticheli)

2004 Carolina Crown (Invesco Field – Denver)

Position: 7

Score: 91.225

Bohemia

La Boheme (Giacomo Puccini)

Seasons of Love (from Rent) (Jonathon Larson)

Percussion Feature (Original)

Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)

2005 Bluecoats (Gillette Stadium - Foxboro, Massachusetts)

Position: 5

Score: 94.45

Caravan

Caravan (Juan Tizol)

Incantation (from Cirque du Soliel - Quidam ) (Benoit Jutras)

Ombra (from Cirque du Soliel) (Violaine Corradi)

Hajj (Stephen Melillo)

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Drum Corps Dad,

Thank you so much for posting this list! You just saved me a lot of work!

I love the composite olympic retreat idea. Me thinks it would cost more than the total budget, however. But a great idea!

Edited by TRBlair

No, the list didn't match mine. In fact, only two of my votes made the list. But after being disappointed last year, I adjusted my expectations and realized that my list probably wouldn't be shown this year, either. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

1975 27th Lancers

Never seen it, or 27th at all for that matter. I've heard several of their shows, but I look forward to seeing them on the field!

1979 Blue Devils

If it was going to be Blue Devils from the 70's, I would have gone with 1976 for Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor. I'm a little bummed by that, but this is still a show I have only listened to, so it'll be another chance to get some more exposure to 70's drum corps. Not a bad thing.

1980 Bridgemen

Probably my biggest disappointment from the list (along with no Suncoast). This is a show that I actually do have video of, and I've never been able to get into it. It's simply not my cup of tea, and honestly it peeves me when I hear from people who worship Bridgemen but mock corps of today. As if today's corps are sacriligous and Bridgemen weren't...

1984 Garfield Cadets

I'd have preferred '83 or even '85 for Jeremiah Symphony, but it's still a show from an era where the Cadets were changing the activity. I'll take it!

1988 Madison Scouts

Another show I already have video of. Still, hearing Malaguena in the theaters ought to be a treat.

1989 Phantom Regiment

One of just two shows that I voted for. I think of this as one of those shows that needs to be shown to show the story of drum corps in the 80's. Certainly a classic in every sense of the word.

1992 Crossmen

A show I haven't gotten into as much as others, but another show that I've only heard before. I know many point to this as being Crossmen's best show, so I certainly can't argue with the selection. Looking forward to it.

1993 Star of Indiana

The other show I voted for. With Star '91 being picked, '93 becomes a no-brainer. Another true classic, maybe the most classic of any of the 12. The only funny thing is, unlike many others, my favorite part of the show might be the first half, not the second. ^0^

1995 Cavaliers

The championship show from one of DCI's best years. Cavaliers are one of my favorite corps, but I simply love their work in the 2000's, and would liked to have seen them represented in that decade. Good choice, but not great.

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard

This is a great choice, though! One of my very favorite shows ever. I voted for 2000, but in the thread about favorite consecutive shows from any corps, SCV 99-00 got my vote. Canyon alone makes this a great choice, but the Barber is gorgeous and Blue Shades brings the house down. There's a reason the crowd was chanting "SCV!" at the end of that night!

2004 Carolina Crown

2005 Bluecoats

I'm including them both together, because it thrills me to no end that the classic countdown has two shows with amped vocals in them! ^0^

Looks like the fans are speaking, guys. Personally, I'm thrilled with the selections. Bluecoats were a toss-up for me between 2003 and 2005. Both are equally great shows. Crown '04 is certainly my favorite Crown show ever, and it's an audience treat, if you let it me. I just hope the anti-amps fans stay classy, and don't do something rude for those of us that enjoy these shows.

All in all, looks like a pretty sweet list. Yeah, there's some things I'd change, like swapping Bridgemen for Suncoast, but Bridgemen made it because someone wanted them there. Just as I'm hoping people respect Crown and 'Coats, I'll respect Bridgemen, and hopefully even come to appreciate them more.

1979 Blue Devils

If it was going to be Blue Devils from the 70's, I would have gone with 1976 for Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor. I'm a little bummed by that, but this is still a show I have only listened to, so it'll be another chance to get some more exposure to 70's drum corps. Not a bad thing.

76 Blue Devils were in last year's Classic Countdown...

Today I once again watched 1975, and once again I watched Oakland Crusaders marching in with the Canadian Flag blowing in the breeze. They are brought in very early and you can see them for a long time waiting to take the field. I had forgotten again that they were 4th in prelims with 2-7 in 5th....then 6th in finals and 2-7 in 4th. I don't remember if there were penalties or if they just scored higher than 2 corps at prelims. I didn't see the breakdown when I looked.

Anyway, the reason I'm mentioning this is how truly sad it makes me not only because there are so few corps left, but that there is no more Canadian contigent. There isn't 1 drum corps that comes to DCI.

So, is there a corps from Canada, even a parade corps or anything in the works that anyone has heard?

That's how and why it went from DCN to DCI at one of the first meetings of the soon to be DCI back in the 70s. It really a shame!! :(

I'm happy you can see them and their flag, it makes it even more interesting for people that weren't around then IMO even though we don't get to see their show. If it's done next year I say let's see that Canadian corps in the Classics Countdown!!!

A few observations.

I seem to recall last year one of the corps that made it only had a few hundred votes.

I'm almost sure that the first 3 or 4 corps last year (with the least votes) had only 2 to 300 votes. I know we didn't have more than 400 votes last year! I also believe BAC received only a few hundred votes. I thought all of the totals, including the biggest vote getters, would get so many more than they did!!

I'm still amazed at no Madison 95, Cadets 87, or SCV 87. I guess I'll keep voting for these until they finally turn up!

No, the list didn't match mine. In fact, only two of my votes made the list. But after being disappointed last year, I adjusted my expectations and realized that my list probably wouldn't be shown this year, either. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

[1980 Bridgemen

Probably my biggest disappointment from the list (along with no Suncoast). This is a show that I actually do have video of, and I've never been able to get into it. It's simply not my cup of tea, and honestly it peeves me when I hear from people who worship Bridgemen but mock corps of today. As if today's corps are sacriligous and Bridgemen weren't...

All in all, looks like a pretty sweet list. Yeah, there's some things I'd change, like swapping Bridgemen for Suncoast, but Bridgemen made it because someone wanted them there. Just as I'm hoping people respect Crown and 'Coats, I'll respect Bridgemen, and hopefully even come to appreciate them more.

Wow..I'm really sad to hear you say this about Bridgemen? Why? Because VK always seemed to mock Bridgemen, I watched the 90 show of VK last night and realized that when they fell down at the end and some of the other antics they did...Bridgemen did it first. Plus it was mostly Bridgemen's staff who went to VK.

I don't know why you say that you feel that some think todays corps are sacriligious...but..I'm more puzzled why you don't like this show? Don't you realize if it hadn't been for Bridgmen...there would..oh never mind...But Bridgmen made it because they had alot of support, plain and simple. :) I personally would've liked 1977 Bridgemen to make it and question what happened there cause it seemed like the votes were headed for that year more then the 80 show.

I, personally, haven't said anything regarding Crown and Coats making it but once you see Bridgemen on the screen I think you'll change your mind.

Oh and you said you never saw 27th Lancers..if you went to the show last year you saw 1980 27th Lancers and I seem to remember you saying you liked it... :P

I just don't understand why some people aren't realizing that this should be considered a history lesson for drum corps instead of who didn't make what...I'm sure DCI will do this again.

I already laid out why Suncoast didn't make it...too many people voting for too many different shows...

See you at the theater.. :)

Lancer Fi, were the 27 rifles in the red jackets yet in '75, or were they in khaki?

My memory does go back that far.... :(