USMC Commandant's Own

A few questions for any members of the Commandant's Own:

Is there a "camp" for the new members to learn all the basics? What is this process like?

Have most or all members been involved in the DCI world prior to joining?

What is the living situation like for single members?

With over 400 engagements a year, do you get time off?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

I'm sure there are a few Marine's on here who belong to the Commandant's Own. I know of at least one Marine who I marched with who is still active with them in some shape/form.

One thing to note, they are Marines. They do have to go through the Marine Basic Training in order to be a part of the group. I do know that there is also an audition process (of which I'm not sure what it is)

The military is 24/7, so there truly is no 'time off' from that, but just like any other job, you do get personal days off, but I don't believe they can coincide with any big performances (don't quote me on that)

any other questions, I'm sure if you go to their site Commandant's Own and send them an email, they will be more than happy to officially answer all of your questions.

Good luck!

I've been with "The Commandant's Own" for close to 12 years now, so I'll do my best.

Q: Is there a "camp" for the new members to learn all the basics? What is this process like?

A: No, there is not a new-guy camp. You will learn what you need to learn as you go, basically on-the-job training. You have 6 months to memorize all of the music in the book, to include ceremonial, drill, and concert music, along with the bugle calls if you are a sop or mello. You will have 2 extra hours per day of mandatory rehearsal until you play off all of your music.

Right now, the unit is in Yuma, AZ learning the drill show (I just had surgery, so I'm not there). This is really the closest we come to camp. If you show up later in the year, you will be paired up with someone who is getting out, learn their drill spot in one of our regular drill rehearsals, and alternate with him or her until he or she gets out. Then, next February, you will have your own drill spot.

Q: Have most or all members been involved in the DCI world prior to joining?

A: No, only about 1/3 of our Marines marched in DCI or DCA.

Q: What is the living situation like for single members?

A: You will be living in a dorm-type situation with a roommate until you get to be a sergeant, then you'll have your own room. Each room has it's own bathroom, so no sharing with the hall or anything. You are expected to maintain the cleanliness and neatness of your room, and there is a weekly extra-heavy cleaning and inspection. The building has a huge laundry room, fitness center, barber shop, rec room, and convenience store downstairs. The enlisted quarters are located approximately two blocks from the main complex where our rehearsal and office areas are located. If they run out of room, you get promoted to staff sergeant, or you get married, then you get to move out and you will receive a housing allowance.

Q: With over 400 engagements a year, do you get time off?

A: Not everyone performs every gig. If you have an alternate for drill, then you'll be doing about every other drill performance. Most of our stand-still and/or ceremonial gigs are not full-strength; the numbers depend on the size of our staging area. The 400 engagements also includes our buglers doing funerals. We usually get one 3-day weekend per month during the summer and one 4-day weekend per month during the rest of the year. If we perform on the weekend, then Monday is usually off. Mind you, as a newbie, free time is little, between mandatory rehearsal, daily clean-up of the office and rehearsal areas, loading crew, etc.

As a military member, you also earn 2.5 days of leave every month (that's 30 days a year for the mathematically challenged). We take 10 days at the end of August and 3 weeks or so for the Holidays as a group. You can also request leave for special events, and they will grant you leave for a family member dying or something catastrophic.

More info: Just so you understand, we are completely different from DCI. Our drill show is the smallest portion of what we do. We also do indoor and outdoor stand-still performances, provide music for military ceremonies, and provide final honors for the deceased and the bugle calls throughout the day at Marine Barracks, Washington, DC.

The longest trip of the year is the trip they are on now. They will spend three weeks in Yuma. The Silent Drill Platoon is there as well learning their drill for the year, as well as the Color Guard of the Marine Corps. We put together a ceremony where we come out and do our drill, then march off to the corner to march the drill team on. They do their performance, then march to the opposite corner. We play the color guard on, play the National Anthem, and do a pass-in-review. This ceremony will be performed there in Yuma twice at the end of the month, then they will go on the road to Southern California, performing the same ceremony at Marine bases and local high schools for two more weeks, stop in Fredericksburg, TX, and come home mid-March.

We also spend three weeks in Dallas, TX for the Great State Fair of Texas in Sept-Oct, doing a concert, retreat ceremony, and parade daily, as well as additional performances here and there.

Other than that, most of our trips are 1-3 days in length. We are housed in a variety of places. I've stayed at the YMCA, in hotels, on bases (both in a room and in a squad bay), in the new wing of a retirement home, college dorms, etc. No, there aren't any gym floors! We fly military, either in a comfy C-9 set up like a normal plane, or a not-so-comfy C130 where you are getting up-close and personal. If we drive, we are normally on a coach bus, though we'll take a school-type bus for some local gigs.

I think that about covers it! Anything else?

Edited by usmcontra

I've been with "The Commandant's Own" for close to 12 years now, so I'll do my best.

Thank you for the up close and personal side of your experience. This has been intriguing for me to read. Excellent.

create peace,

Brent

Music in Motion 2006

Public Performance Schedule

FEBRUARY

25 Patriotic Opener, Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, AZ at 10:00am

28 Battle Color Ceremony, Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, AZ at 3:00pm

28 Battle Color Ceremony, Kofa High School Yuma, AZ at 7:30pm

MARCH

1 Battle Color Ceremony, Central Union High School El Centro, CA at 7:00pm

3 Battle Color Ceremony, Camp Pendleton School of Infantry, CA at 10:30am

3 Battle Color Ceremony, Camp Pendleton Mainside, CA at 4:30pm

4 Battle Color Ceremony, Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, CA at 1:30pm

6 Battle Color Ceremony, Westview High School San Diego, CA at 8:20am

6 Battle Color Ceremony, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, CA at 3:00pm

8 Battle Color Ceremony, Wilmer Amina Carter High School Rialto, CA at 1:20pm

9 Battle Color Ceremony, Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Command 29 Palms, CA at 12:00pm

10 Battle Color Ceremony, Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow, CA at 7:00pm

10 Battle Color Ceremony, Apple Valley High School Apple Valley, CA at 10:00am

11 Battle Color Ceremony, Rose Bowl Los Angeles, CA at 11:00am

12 Battle Color Ceremony, Fredericksburg High School Fredericksburg, TX at 6:30pm

The Commandant's Own

SEMPER FI