California Corps. WOW! did I count right?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes....SDA definitely had my respect for an original and thoughtful treatment of shows that had, like Sam said, barely enough horns to cover parts. But the kids were AWESOME, had a very talented drum line, and a very nice staff of instructors. I think they suffered a tad being in the shadow of Esperanza--I think their website is still up.

Website is down, but they started up an independent open indoor drumline under the name 'SD Alternative.' Had pretty good inaugural year, now in their second. I think they planned to come back under a diff name, but who knows how that's going.

-SDAlliance Pit 02

"Wow":

North Jersey had, at it's "height" a huge number of very competitive drum corps, both senior and junior. Among those can be listed the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, St Vincents Cadets, St Lucys Cadets, Garfield Cadets, St Josephs Cadets, Patterson Cadets, Hawthorne Muchachos & Caballeros, St Andrews Bridgemen, St Patricks Cadets, Newark Woodsiders, Fairlawn & Dumont Police Cadets, Amboy Dukes, Ballentine Brewers and the Carver Gay Blades to name but a VERY few.

"Southie" had, among others, Haddon Heights Vagabonds, Audubon Bons Bons, Royaleers, and Blue Rock.

As far as color guards went, there were WAY too many to even begin to mention, with circuits and contests that spanned the entire state.

The "New Jesrsy States" at Wildwood were "epics" as far as drum corps contests were concerened with, at times over 30 entries in the "Junior Division".

Elphaba

At a local (Eastern Massachusetts Circuit) show in 1980, there were 19 corps at one show. This show didn't include the proverbial "big boys" (ie: Boston, 27th or North Star). This was a regular season show - not even a championships!!!! for a list, check out:

Malden Diplomats Alumni Site

Pacific Alliance is what they call themselves when three independent groups (brass, percussion and guard) perform together on occasion.

http://www.pacall.net

They have no plans to compete as a drum and bugle corps at this time. Got this from the horses's mouth, a drumline member who was performing with Renegades at Chinese New Year.

Bummer. It would be good to get something going in the NW since Venture went inactive.

Garry

Edited by CrunchyTenor

• 2 weeks later...
Crap...I forgot one...there's a group called Onyx based out of Yorba Linda (a north Orange County community). They actually had a group playing at a very popular Christmas lights area in Brea this past December called Eagle's Nest (a uppity tract of homes). They had a sign and a "fill the pot" fund raiser to help "start a new drum and bugle corps". I don't know anything about them or if they are even going to compete. But there was a corps this December--I heard 'em over the phone because my wife called me at the Fire Dept asking if I knew anything about this group and then stuck the cell phone out of the car and said, "Here...listen!"

Hey Ryan. I was acutely very pleasantly surprised to read something about Onyx on here since things have been on the quiet side about the group thus far. That group consisted of most of my private students who jumped at the chance to do anything Onyx related. It was a very fun way to get together and play and raise money to take care of the small filing fees expenses. It was an unrehearsed sight-reading thing but we all had a great time! By the end of the night, we had some tunes memorized and were giving passersbys in cars Onyx in 5.1 surround sound. lol...as a completely random bonus, the guys house that we played in front of had a brother that marched cavies WAAAAY back in the day. (though if he reads this, disregard emphasis on "WAAAYY")

Our plan to eventually fielding a DCI corps is a progressive one and kicks off officially this corps off season with Onyx Training; an auditioned 20 member brass ensemble geared toward preparing students for division corps 1 auditions. Also, education will be centered on preparing students for a potential career in being a studio musician. I think it will be a pretty neat experience and should be a fantastic group. The ensemble will be taking some corps favorite tunes to Paramount’s flagship studio and have great staff to prepare for the date such as Wayne Bergeron. We arnt selling the CD and need a way to generate positive name recognition, so well post some of the tunes we record on our site for everybody to enjoy…beats finding bootleg on limewire.

Im sure you’ll hear more about this soon...working on all the stuff (website included) and don’t want to give it to much press too early. Ill put a post up when the website gets going....

coming soon...

TubaTest1.jpg

Edited by Lukehart

Or "Russian Sailor's Dance" perhaps. (ala'76?) :rock:

I believe Del Sol is a thing of the past. Most of the people that I knew involved there are marching Kingsmen.

Black Knights Drum line

Rocketman - Monopoly

ampssuck

That's a shame

Hey Ryan. I was acutely very pleasantly surprised to read something about Onyx on here since things have been on the quiet side about the group thus far. That group consisted of most of my private students who jumped at the chance to do anything Onyx related. It was a very fun way to get together and play and raise money to take care of the small filing fees expenses. It was an unrehearsed sight-reading thing but we all had a great time! By the end of the night, we had some tunes memorized and were giving passersbys in cars Onyx in 5.1 surround sound. lol...as a completely random bonus, the guys house that we played in front of had a brother that marched cavies WAAAAY back in the day. (though if he reads this, disregard emphasis on "WAAAYY")

Our plan to eventually fielding a DCI corps is a progressive one and kicks off officially this corps off season with Onyx Training; an auditioned 20 member brass ensemble geared toward preparing students for division corps 1 auditions. Also, education will be centered on preparing students for a potential career in being a studio musician. I think it will be a pretty neat experience and should be a fantastic group. The ensemble will be taking some corps favorite tunes to Paramount’s flagship studio and have great staff to prepare for the date such as Wayne Bergeron. We arnt selling the CD and need a way to generate positive name recognition, so well post some of the tunes we record on our site for everybody to enjoy…beats finding bootleg on limewire.

Im sure you’ll hear more about this soon...working on all the stuff (website included) and don’t want to give it to much press too early. Ill put a post up when the website gets going....

coming soon...

TubaTest1.jpg

Thanks for the update!!! This all sounds great!!!!