WELCOME to the **NEW* DCP

JohnD

John,

it looks fantastic.. congratulations.

Do you want us to post bugs we find or just presume you guys already know about it and wait it out?

Thanks!

Stef

Welcome to the **NEW** look for Drum Corps Planet!!

We're still working out a few of the bugs .... but hope to have everything at 100% within the next day or two. Most of the work is complete and the only things that remain are those final tweaks that required the site to be 'fully on-line' before they could be finalized.

Please explore the various sections of the 'front' of the site and let us know what you think. This new system will be the foundation for a number of new features in the future - so please be patient as we roll them out.

Yes, we are aware that you must log-in when you enter the forums. That issue is at the top of our list of things to 'fix' and we hope to have that solved in the very near future.

Update: The forums have been 'fixed' to properly record your login. You'll probably have to log in the first time - but from there, it should work just fine.

Thank you for your support and enjoy the site!

-john

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't like the stuff on the side, do we have a way to get rid of it?

Don't like the stuff on the side, do we have a way to get rid of it?

I have to agree with MikeM on this ... Im not really too fond of the stuff on the side when Im reading the forums .. also every time I click on a thread it always goes right to the bottom of the page.

and if you want that viewing area back for the forums, just go to drumcorpsplanet.com/forums

Thank you. I will view the forums in this way.

I have to agree with MikeM on this ... Im not really too fond of the stuff on the side when Im reading the forums .. also every time I click on a thread it always goes right to the bottom of the page.

drumcorpsplanet.com/forums (ty alarson83)

Using a forum within XML can be tricky at best :sshh:

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and support. I'm happy that we could get this project released to 'the world' and have more of you using the new system. There have been countless hours invested in the design, development, and validation of the system already .... and we'll continue to make improvements as we go along.

Here are some specific thoughts and responses:

• We are aware of the navigation issues within the forums and will be working on finding solutions for as many of them as we can. I will not guarantee that things will work precisely as they have in all ways ... but we'll get as close as we can. I made the decision to continue use of the forum software that has served DCP for some time now ... and preserve the history of the forums' content. A 'cleaner' integration could have been possible, using a more tightly integrated forum package - but we probably would have lost a fair amount of the functionality and the message history we have amassed. Not an option, in my book. Please give us a few days with the 'live site' to get some of these things sorted-out.
  • While there may be some resistance to changing the look, reducing the footprint of the forum on the screen, and 'encumbering' the forums with the DCP wrapper - I strongly believe the new design is for the betterment of the overall site and we will continue to refine this overall design concept going forward. Our vision for Drum Corps Planet exceeds the confines of a discussion forum and we're working hard to bring that 'additional value' to-life. That leads me to the next thought .....
  • My presumption is that the large majority of people that are here are because they're either interested in, or somehow connected-to, the drum corps / pageantry activity. Sure, many enjoy discussing things that are well outside that scope - but what brings them here is the drum corps activity and community. That said, this new design better serves the drum corps community - by bringing more information and features about the activity to the site .... and reminding people that there is much more to DCP than just the forums. For those that are not interested in what's happening in the drum corps activity - you'll have to either bear with us .... or go to a more general discussion forum elsewhere on the internet.
  • There are going to be things that YOU are interested in {TRUST ME - you will be interested} that will only appear on the front pages of this site ... and will NOT be noticed or officially communicated thru the forums. For the latest info - you'll have to go to the front page ... or rely on someone else to get the info first ... which may be to your dis-advantage. Make it a point to look around the rest of the site. There's a lot of new, interesting things outside of the forums - and you'll see them grow in the near future.

The entire DCP team is excited about this new platform and the world of possibilities that it brings to our growth. It will take some time to iron-out all of the annoyances and details ..... but I hope you'll find it well worth your investment of time. The coming months will bring a number of exciting developments and partnerships that are in the works .... so please stay tuned.

Thank you for your support, patience, and flexibility going forward. We'll continue to listen to your comments and suggestions ... and give them fair consideration in our plans for improvement.

Enjoy the new site!

-john

I honestly hope that you take into consideration those who do not like how the forum footprint is smaller, and that screen is so busy it's hard to keep track, and make available a skin that excludes this for those who wish to not see it.

Thank you.

not bad.....people gotta get used to the change......

If I may...... the forum "some old corps photos" is one of the largest and most posted to of all the forums. So many of us spend an enormous amount of our time and resources downloading invaluable historical pictures. It is a grave disservice to the history of the activity that we cannot now view these photos in their entirety.

Is there any way, within the new confines of the site, to fix it so these photos can be viewed without cutting them off? These photos lose their impact when they are truncated. Speaking for myself, (or maybe for many of us), this view of history of Drum Corps is a very important way for us to connect with the deeply loved Corps of our past.

The new site is very nice, but for a lot of us, very little is as important as being able to share our photo collections without limitations. Maybe I am putting too much emphasis on this one forum, but since that is where many of us spend most of our time on DCP, I am asking for help in preserving these photographs as they were posted. I am certain that there are other forums which also have much loved photos which not being completely shown.

I could not discerne whether this issue has been addressed. It is possible I missed the explanation in the earlier posting of the steps taken to fix the problems with the new DCP.

Thank you in advance if this problem can be addressed and solved.

Roma Heinlen

and if you want that viewing area back for the forums, just go to drumcorpsplanet.com/forums

Thank you for the link. While the new site looks nice, I prefer not having the clutter on the side.