Three valve G bugles

CANDRUM

I know the 2 valve bugle is similar to the old valve rotor horn but what does thre third valve give you on the G bugle?

I recently bought a 3 valver and am trying to figure it out.

Full range of notes on the chromatic scale - Off the top of my head Ab is 2/3 and one or two other notes not possible on 2 valves.

Think this is the chart I used when I got my first 3 valver. (but my Adobe reader recently got clobbered so I can't look at it.)

http://www.dynastyband.com/graphics/buglefingerchart.pdf

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Keeeee-rect. The 4 notes the old 2 valvers could not play are C# (below the staff), D (same), Eb (on the staff) and Ab (on the staff). Ab above the staff was valve 1 and throw in the 1st valve tuning slide all the way.

Another advantage to the 3rd valve if if you ARE above the staff....it's a little easier going form Ab to Bb by going 2/3 to 1 than like a lick I have in ourt 3rd chart this year...Bd to Ab to Bb...all 1st valve and moving the slide...

Also, simply having another valve for possible alternate fingerings increases possbilities for controlling intonation.

1st valve - lowers two half steps

2nd valve - lowers one half step

3rd valve - lowers three half steps

1st valve is like the piston on the P/R bugle.

2nd valve is like the rotor on the P/R bugle.

3rd valve is like pushing both piston and rotor at the same time. But can be tuned a little flatter so you don't have that valve combination sharpness. It also gives the 2+3, 1+3, and 1+2+3 combinations for those notes you can't naturally play without the 3rd valve.

1st valve - lowers two half steps

2nd valve - lowers one half step

3rd valve - lowers three half steps

1st valve is like the piston on the P/R bugle.

2nd valve is like the rotor on the P/R bugle.

3rd valve is like pushing both piston and rotor at the same time. But can be tuned a little flatter so you don't have that valve combination sharpness. It also gives the 2+3, 1+3, and 1+2+3 combinations for those notes you can't naturally play without the 3rd valve.

Does the Bb Tuba, Bb baritone uses the same fingerings as the Bb trumpet?

Does the Bb Tuba, Bb baritone uses the same fingerings as the Bb trumpet?

Yes, it does. However, they are most often written in bass clef, in concert pitch, so the written C on trumpet will be a written Bb for the bass clef instruments (open fingering). From there, the fingering pattern is exactly the same. A treble clef baritone part will be fingered exactly like a trumpet part.