Looking for a horn

CANDRUM

Don't Laugh!!! I'm lookiong for a Bb-F one valve bugle!!!! They were used in the 50's by some units usually here in Canada but some of the Military units ie: US MArine Drum Corps.

Don't Laugh!!! I'm lookiong for a Bb-F one valve bugle!!!! They were used in the 50's by some units usually here in Canada but some of the Military units ie: US MArine Drum Corps.

There was just one on eBay a few weeks ago.

Is the Holton on eBay Bb-F??? I don't know enough about one valvers (but I'm trying) to know which horns were in which key. Only Canadian horn maker I know of was Whaley-Royce of Toronto but guessing they made the usual Canadian "Bugle Band" horns.

Bb-F bugles are pretty rare and they pop up on ebay every once in a while. One needs to have a good eye to spot them and they generally go in the $125-175 price range. Here is one that sold recently.

Conn single valve Bb-F soprano bugle

Bb-F bugles are pretty rare and they pop up on ebay every once in a while. One needs to have a good eye to spot them and they generally go in the $125-175 price range. Here is one that sold recently.

Conn single valve Bb-F soprano bugle

Wow, I'll say it's an early Conn. Horn has a hole where the thumbscrew for the valve lock should go. Jeff, how can a person tell what key older horns are in? Is it just knowing what the different manufacturers made certain years?

Wow, I'll say it's an early Conn. Horn has a hole where the thumbscrew for the valve lock should go. Jeff, how can a person tell what key older horns are in? Is it just knowing what the different manufacturers made certain years?

You need to peruse the old drum guides by Ludwig and others and note the difference in wrap between the G and Bb models. Also look at selling prices. Any old single valve bugle going for big bucks has a reason behind the bids. I haven't seen a Bb-F without a valve lock indicating most were pre-WW II vintage. Most are Conn or Ludwig made by Conn.