What Has Happened to Premier Drums?

incognito

i was in the brass section at magic and i had alot of friends in the battery and pit and i know they got the short end on somethings as far as parts go i think on the low E marimbas the same Bb key or soemthing broke and when they went to replace the wood quality was all wrong or something, again im brass so i'm not all knowing just spreading the word on what i do know and i do know that one of the tenor players absolutely loved the drums at first because scrapes were a complete ease but later in the season i saw alot of signs that stated,

Ludwig, the worst reason to play drums

obviously a knock off of pearls matto...

but i think the worst problem was that the bass drum rims were only 3-ply so the would break a lot when doing click effects and stuff i know bottom bass went through about 4 rims on each side, he was a beast (haha)

hope this helps anyone

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...but later in the season i saw alot of signs that stated,

Ludwig, the worst reason to play drums

obviously a knock off of pearls matto...

Reminds me of something I heard from someone who should remain nameless for sake of endorsements...

"Pearl. The best reason to play Yamaha."

Reminds me of something I heard from someone who should remain nameless for sake of endorsements...

"Pearl. The best reason to play Yamaha."

I recently saw an ad in dci Today stating that Ludwig has done "3 years of extensive R&D" and "Ludwig introduces their "new" edition of marching drums".

Not for nothin'...but can someone name me just 'one' inovation Ludwig has made to their marching percussion line in the last 13 years ! (And lowering the quality by using the ROCKER shells doesn't count). Don't get me wrong, but the USA drum I see in the ad is the same one I saw as a prototype in 1993, and it's also the SAME drum that was given out to those 2 drum corps this past year!

There's truth in advertising...then there's truth in advertising !

So, what's new and different ? I'd love to hear from the folks that used them about all the "NEW INOVATIONS".

This is not intended to be a SLAM, but can someone enlighten me ?

I've been thinking those exact same questions because I see nothing new. And if they're talking about the materials I'm not impressed since last year I saw Southwind's snare batter hoops bent at each tension rod like the old Pearl rims used to do from the 80's.

• 2 weeks later...
Dynasty sucks, dude. The tenors don't even stayed tuned for a whole show. Pearl/Adams owns everyone in everything. Their snares have a nice tone to them, the basses speak out, and the tenors' tone is unmatched. Their keyboards are also amazing.

I actually agree with the "kid". When I marched Tenors, I played on Yamaha (2 yrs), Dynasty (1 yr), and Pearl (2 yrs). And by far Pearl has the best sound. Funny that we are talking about this because I was listenning to BD lot footage in 99 when they used Yamaha's for the last time, and then listen another MP3 of their lot stuff the past few years.....man the 99 sound was so much better.

• 9 months later...

i've played on Yamaha and Pearl, and heard Dynasty quite a lot.

i've never liked how Die-nasties sound. also, i've heard from groups using BRAND NEW die-nasties that their drums repeatedly kept breaking.

die-nasties sound like little kid drums.

oh yeah, back to the original topic: Premier SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

Yamaha's also break a LOT. our tenors constatly had to replace tension rods and casings for the last 3 years. we (basses) had to replace a TON of tension rods, too. the snares held up OK, but not too well.

Pearl are not only the most durable drums, but they DEFINITELY sound the best. by FAR.

the only problem is that Pearl is the most expensive.

in fact, if you look at the pricing, die-nasties are the least expensive, then Yamaha, and THEN Pearl.

you get what'cha pay for

Yeah,

this is another one that has been discussed alot, but there is always room for more! lol..

For me, Premier just didnt cut it in terms of quality. Like people have said over and over, the Customer service went really bad and from what i know hasnt recovered. Ive been caption head of a premier drum corps in DCI div 3 and i literally went a season (membership day-Orlando) without so much as a reply for much needed stuff. Fortunately my staff and I are pretty inventive and kind of made our own stuff and found a way to make it work. Ive also taught with a WGI group. I think its funny when you have one of the few premier reps on staff and cant get stuff you need. good thing we never recruited that 4th quad player back in 04 becasue we pretty much used out 4th quad kit to rip parts from all the way until San Diego. lol

Ludwig is actually a pretty killer company. Its funny how quick people are to point out the flaws of one of the "non-major" players in the market today, but to me, Ludwigs sound is comparable, and i dont think they have TOO many more flaws than anyone else out there.

I like the Dynasty stuff. They get some great sound, but i think they could make the kits a little lighter than they are. Yamaha (like most companies) make a nice snare drum. I think the tonal drums (quad/bass) are not even close though for me. I guess its just about personal preference because some of the best people out there love the sound.. i personally have never gotten a sound i like out of a yamaha quad or bass.

Pearl is a pretty far #1 for me. I love it. My battery has been on Pearl Carbonply for over a year now and they are unreal. Great tuning, easy to maintain, can take a fall too! lol

Also,

guys, we cant take tuning out of the equation when deciding if you love or hate a drum. In my opinion, tuning is a pretty demanding skill if you are really "Tuning".. not just tightening with a key. You really have to play with your sound someties to get what you want. An instructor/caption head i once had actually made a snareline sound good with old JUPITER drums!! lol...

How many people on this forum have even HEARD of Jupiter Drums? lol...

keep drummin boys..

Tony

I have have played on/ marched with corps that used Yamaha, Pearl, Ludwig, Premier and taught at corps that used

Yamaha, pearl, premier, dynasty.

I know this thread is about premier but, !.*t!!! The Dynasty shells are NOT IT!! Too thin. The basses would change tone while I was tuning ( in a 15 min period ) if the drums were moved in or out of the sun ( and not on a super hot or humid day). We took off the heads and hardware off the Dynasty to recover with thin stretchy fabric and the shells were not round and they wobbled..

When I marched Premier we only had problems with the hardware on the bases ( on the top drum ) and losing the screws on the tenors that kept the hts bearing edges on.

The real deal with drum sound is the shell. Specifically the type of wood being used, the the amount of plys/thickness and the way they are held/glued/steam pressed togather. Oh yes and ofcourse bearing edge. You guys should check this page outhttp://p205.ezboard.com/fdrumrapfrm1

http://www.drumshed.org/forum/

I recently saw an ad in dci Today stating that Ludwig has done "3 years of extensive R&D" and "Ludwig introduces their "new" edition of marching drums".

Not for nothin'...but can someone name me just 'one' inovation Ludwig has made to their marching percussion line in the last 13 years ! (And lowering the quality by using the ROCKER shells doesn't count). Don't get me wrong, but the USA drum I see in the ad is the same one I saw as a prototype in 1993, and it's also the SAME drum that was given out to those 2 drum corps this past year!

There's truth in advertising...then there's truth in advertising !

So, what's new and different ? I'd love to hear from the folks that used them about all the "NEW INOVATIONS".

This is not intended to be a SLAM, but can someone enlighten me ?

Hey SkyDog...

I can't 'fire' myself ! LOL :worthy:

Rick Rogers, Jr.