What Has Happened to Premier Drums?

incognito

I saw Premier Drums at the WGI show in Dayton and they are alot better drums now , the snare drum has chrome tenion rods so not to rust and the snare system is updated and very very nice, can adjust horizonal-vertical and angle control for the snares, look cool too.

The Bass Drum has a new claws and new lug casting which is a lot stronger and looks cool too, it uses a barrel nut, it has an arch which is nice, you can put sheet music under the arch, an it acts as a handle too.

The tenors have a new lug casting that is tough as nails and shouldn't fail under extreme tenion, the casting uses a barrel nut and keeps the tenion rod straight all the time under extrem tenion, so not the break. And reinforced bearing edge with carbon fiber so not the cave in.

Premier has some new guys there in R&D and seem to be going in the right direction. Keep it up.

I've owned and worked on old Premier HTS Drums before and these new drum are a lot better. These new drums are as good as Pearl,Dynasty and Yamaha.

Good Job.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used Premier back in the day and my issue if it hasnt been said already is that the lugs slip as soon as you touch the drums. I didnt hav a good time tuning Premier snares. Pearl produces the better sound for snare in my opinion.

I remember my first year in band, and we used Premiers back then. We spent about 2 hours tuning before championships and those things projected like no other. It was amazing. I miss that sound. No one has matched it since.

I was watching some DCI dvd's over the weekend and I have to ask.........What in the world happened to Premier Drums???

At one point, it looked like they were the next big drum company. I've always enjoyed to sound the HTS tenors made, I even bought a pair on ebay last year.

Can you honestly say that Dynasty makes a Better drum or a Better Snare than Premier?

I see One Division 2 corps using them, and I think 2 Open Class DCI corps, plus a DCA corps and some WGI lines. I may be wrong with the count, but I know it's not what they used to be.

They make a good drum... but I heard they had problems with import 'rules and regulations' making it very difficult to get them into the United States.

• 5 weeks later...

Premier keyboards are the worst... The marimba keys can crack very easily. And the vibes have a dead sound. They really suck!!!!!

I spent yesterday afternoon tuning the snares at my school. I did 3 Pearls (1 year old) and 2 Premiers (1997 model). Took me about twice as long fiddling with the two Premiers as it did to do the 3 Pearls - the snare assemblies on those older models (can't speak for the newer ones) are just ... well... *hideous*. All plastic, spring loaded (who thought *that* would be a good idea?!?) and generally un-modifiable.

Yikes.

Mike

Premier keyboards are the worst... The marimba keys can crack very easily. And the vibes have a dead sound. They really suck!!!!!

I have to agree with you ! There's nothing worse than the bars on your xylophone and marimba 'melting' while the resonance totally disappears.

That's OK though ! The bars are back to normal when you play in the evening.....you just can't rehearse in the sun, that's all !

• 1 month later...
Word has it that they're coming out with some new gear this summer, at least the announcement i thought I saw at WGI.

I love the way premiers sound in the ensemble, but I agree that they may have had some quality issues in the past. My opinion: simply too many moving parts. While the snares are infinitely adjustable that means there's just that many more pieces to lose, have fall off, or just break all together.

Now that I'm back from marching a season of prototype premiers, here's my report.

The drums are MUCH improved from the last design. The casings are nearly indestructible - we only broke one the entire season. They upgraded drum 2 to 8 lugs now, and he drums overall stay in tune very well. The only problem we had was that the rims are still relatively weak (we had to switch them out quite a bit due to warping), and the carrier system they are designed for is ridiculously heavy. Easily the heaviest drums on the market right now.

I cannot stand Pearl, I know, I know. Their basses have always sounded like toys to me, but maybe I'm deaf, I know people are going to gripe, but I just can't stand Pearl equiptment, I'm sure there are many people out there that love them and think I'm nuts, but just my opinion. I've used Premier stuff before, gotta say I really like the snares....when they worked....and when we had parts. Is it me or were the heads really easy to pull? It seems like you had to crank on them all day to tighten the head, maybe it's just me. but I liked the bar system they had for mounting, especially when you had to move in a hurry, you didn't have to monkey around and re adjust bars and all that garbage, just set the hight and go. I really like Dynasy basses, just a personal preferance to the sound, nice Remo power max heads, or even Evans and I really dig the tone. I'm really happy to hear that Ludwig and premire are comming back though! More competition means more advancements, cause lets face it folk you have Dynasty, Pearl, and the all mighty Yamaha that owns the market. Hopefully well be seeing some good stuff from all the companies, now if Dynasty can just figure out the horn and snare....

• 3 weeks later...