it's been a long time since I got to hear Sylvia wail like that in the meelo cadenza.

Wow.... I hear ya. Sylvia is still a kick-### player. Awesome, full, confident sound! She should be in the Bugler's Hall of Fame... hopefully someday in the near future.

Fran

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sylvia can kick ###, and if rumors are true for next year's book, look out!

So I'll take a quick shot at a limited review. I did not see the whole show, but I got to see pretty much everyone at some point in the day rehearsing. Now this will be a quickie review because I'm at work. So keep that in mind... short and sweet.

Bucs Alumni - Maybe I'm a little biased because I perform with them, but I would have to say that's one of the best performances we've put on in recent years. I don't like to toot my own horn, but compared to last year's showing at Serenade... let's just say "much improved."

St. Joe's Alumni - As always, loud and impressive. Love the repertoire. Love the big fat sound. It's old school drum corps as it was meant to be. Like that orange juice commercial... simply un-fooled around with.

Westshoremen Alumni - The best of the best. Amazing what can be accomplished in such a short amount of time. Huge and powerful. Far more musical I think this year than in previous years. A real treat to watch. My wife was happy because she got to kick my ### out of my seat so I could stand for Grand 'ol Flag.

USNA - From what I could see, they look like they are shooting to be alot more aggressive with their performances now than what I'm used to seeing. But the beauty is, they're doing it in a musical way. Fantastic.

Park City Pride - Think St. Joe's and then some. Old school = sweet. Big sound. Very impressive as always. I love seeing them at Serenade because I get to see them outdoors quite a bit each Summer, but this is just so much better. With the accoustics and all... yum.

Hip Pickles - These aren't the Pickles I grew up with. A little different show with a few new people, but alot of that same fun Pickles attitude and showmanship. Every crowd I've ever seen everywhere really enjoys watching these guys strut their stuff.

Thunderbirds Alumni - They were a pleasant surprise for me. I don't get to see them hardly ever and what I'm used to seeing is their mini-corps from DCA I&E's. (Which don't get me wrong... the mini-corps is awesome,) but with the bigger corps... wow. Very entertaining. Glad I got to sit and watch their rehearsal too. They helped me get into performance mode.

Caballeros Alumni - Legendary. Do I really have to type anything beyond that? Probably one of, if not THE best alumni corps I have ever seen. They are like the bench mark for all other alumni corps.

Skyliners Alumni - Can I just tell you all how much I enjoy watching this corps nowadays? The Sky Alumni has always been loud and such, but in recent years they have become a more, let's just say, "tone-oriented" corps than before. Proving that you can be loud AND good.

Cabs Senior - Much bigger and alot better than last year. I knew it would happen too. Every year Hawthorne has an "off" year, they come back the following year with a vengeance. Look at 2002, started small and ended up around 5th or 6th place. Then 2003, they kick everyone's tail! I tell you... the best thing in the world for the Cabs is to have an off year now and then. It means you'll be smoking the next year. The drumline looks as talented as ever and the hornline was superb. reliable sources have also informed me that they were missing people too. We'll have to wait and see what everyone else brings, but I think it's safe to say the Cabs will be back in the hunt this year.

Hmmmmm....you're the 3rd person who heard from reliable sources that the Cabs were missing people.

That real life stuff is a pain in the butt to deal with!!

Best of luck to all competitors this season.

Westshoremen Alumni - My wife was happy because she got to kick my ### out of my seat so I could stand for Grand 'ol Flag.

Hope she made you stand during the entire song. ^0^

My wife and sister did (KEEP YER ### UP THERE!!!) :sshh:

Where were you at? We were in 307 (Upper circle, about 3 sections from the wall and stage was to our left)

Al Katz told me that they were missing around 15 horns and they had approximately 48-50 on stage. He also told me that they were full except for 1 horn player for 64 drill spots.

I dont think he was "puffing" the numbers. Either way it shows that they are having a good winter.

Not many reports about Bucs...seems kind of low key...

I have heard that Bush is also very strong...so the east coast is moving back to the top. I know because I have been to Empire camps that they are also very good for April, so it wouldnt surprise me at all to see those great rivalries of the early nineties be the case this year in DCA. That is only good for fans when those 3 start bumping heads. I cant wait!!!

Donny

You don't get more reliable than Al Katz!!

The real life stuff...man, I wish we could have drum corps in a vacuum. We all have to deal with it.

2006 is gonna be GREAT for DCA!!

Al Katz told me that they were missing around 15 horns and they had approximately 48-50 on stage. He also told me that they were full except for 1 horn player for 64 drill spots.

I dont think he was "puffing" the numbers. Either way it shows that they are having a good winter.

No puffing .. The above is true.. who wants to fill the last spot?

Lives change in a matter of minutes. I almost had an issue but luckily for me its working out and looks like for the better. Even if I did lose my job I would pump gas if I had to and still march this summer.

Hmmm there's your 4th :)

If drum corps were in a vacuum there'd be no sound!

Unless it was Sky Alumni playing... I'm sure you'd hear them in a vacuum regardless!