DRUM HEADS

CANDRUM

Our alumni corps has been given a number of older SLINGERLAND TDR 12X15 and LUDWIG Challengers 12x15.Both have 10 lugs and gut snares. What are the best choices for heads these days? I used to use REMO Emporer heads but I guess times have changed.We arnt going to crank them down too tight as we want that traditional GUT sound to come out. Any suggestions?

Rick

Niagara Militaires Alumni Drum Corps

Edited by CANDRUM

Our alumni corps has been given a number of older SLINGERLAND TDR 12X15 and LUDWIG Challengers 12x15.Both have 10 lugs and gut snares. What are the best choices for heads these days? I used to use REMO Emporer heads but I guess times have changed.We arnt going to crank them down too tight as we want that traditional GUT sound to come out. Any suggestions?

Rick

Niagara Militaires Alumni Drum Corps

For the retro sound, it depends on how much "ring" you desire. I would go with REMO pinstripes or REMO silver (or black) dots. GOOD LUCK!

If you want that traditional sound but with the added durability of today's mylar technology you should check out the Remo Powerstroke 77. These were actually used "back in the day" before kevlar became the next biggest thing. I took a screen shot from Remo's catalog for you to see. I would pair this with the Remo Clear Snare Side for marching. It's part # is: SA-0215-TD. That's for a 15" drum.

p77.jpg