Drum Corps on Scranton TV

Seriously, though, I don't recall Scranton bidding for the '06 championships (correct me if I'm wrong). If the community wanted it that badly, they should have bid for it.

WINNER!!! :peek:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it wasn't just the brown shirts.

DCA had outgrown Scranton's capacity from a hotel and rehearsal hosting site standpoint. Unless they build more hotels close by and grow about 10 new football fields, really odds aren't in their favor for a while.

I'll be the first to agree the Lackawanna County sheriff's deputies et al. were loose cannons earlier years. They did improve. Two years ago, I was sent at intermission to handle gate problems. The stadium policy did not allow exit/reentry. The deputies allowed me to do what I wanted. I told insulin retrievers, "want umbrella" folks, etc., they could go -- Just had to see me when they wanted in. I allowed 2 fibbing teen girls in. The deputies allowed me to do it My Way, thanked me for taking the heat off them. They only asked why I allowed those 2 girls in. I said, "I'm not gonna send 2 teen girls back out into a dark parking lot when their moms are right at that souvie table (even though they couldn't tell me the name of the director)."

The stadium policy of no standing in the aisles was frustrating for us. Let's just move on now.

'05: When a man drove his sports car convertible ONTO the artificial turf to make a delivery to the announcer's table with me screaming at him, the deputy merely shooed him off...after the guy dropped off his paperwork (unnamed corps).

Concentrate more on what Jeff says -- Four years straight at Scranton was long enough. We were outgrowing Scranton, which is great news for DCA and fan$. Yep, the new PAETEC Stadium is not a lot more seats, but let's give it a chance. We know that Rachacha knows corpsdom.

Edited by CozyChopsCom

If you have not seen PAETEC here is a link: http://www.rhinossoccer.com/stadium/

As my daughter and son-in-law live in Rochester I won't knock it. However, the stadium has very limited parking, no areas for warm-up and the surrounding area is not considered the safest.

We toured the area while visiting over the Christmas holidays, don't expect the rolling green hills and meadows of Scranton.

Still, it's a great town.

I'm glad not to be back at Scranton for a number of reasons. Although the convenience of our ashphalt rehearsal PARKING LOT every year we were there was right beside our hotel (Holiday Inn Express Airport), it was tough on our bodies to endure rehearsals on ashphalt all weekend.

In 2003 myself and a few members were harrassed by the brown shirts at individuals. We did do something wrong but corrected it right away. You weren't allowed to have outside drinks at the I&E venue, we followed the rules after the cops told us to dump the beers. Towards the end of the night we went to our bus and drank our own beers, which was following the rules. The brown shirts came up and ripped the cooler out of my hands off the back of the bus and started dumping our alcholic beverages.

Luckily we had a law enforcement officer in the corps at the time. He helped us out and stopped the police from dumping our alcohol on the ground and they just walked away and left us alone. I don't know what was said, or what was going on at that point, but they left quickly after that.

Those were my only problems with Scranton. In 2002 the first year it was there we were on a nice grass field, then for some reason we got bumped off and put on the parking lot by our hotel. Oh well it was only a 1 minute walk from my room to the parking lot, I suppose I can't complain.

Without fail, every year I was in Scranton for Finals, or the Leg. Natls. (when DCA was in Syr.) the Gestapo harrassed not only

members of the corps I was with, but I personally saw them frequently "showing how tough they were" in town and in and around the stadium. It would have been much more tolerable had the law enforcement officials acted in a tactful and professional manner...but these guys were little better than Neanderthals with badges.

As for the townspeople of Scranton...always very nice.

Rochester's gonna be just fine for Finals. ($1 for memories of Aquinas Stadium :) )

guys if it was just the brownshirts, we would never have gone back after 95.

when DCA had 16 corps showing up, Scranton could handle DCA.

with 30+ corps and mini corps to boot coming in, no way, not even close.

Rochester, being a larger metro area, seems to have what DCA needs for this year, and if reports in the Rachacha paper are true, next year too. but if DCA keeps growing, even Rachacha may not be big enough.

besides, this past year, the brown shirts were tame compared to the legionaires. but with no legion tie in, retreat should be at least 20 minutes shorter :P

<snip>

but if DCA keeps growing, even Rachacha may not be big enough.

besides, this past year, the brown shirts were tame compared to the legionaires. but with no legion tie in, retreat should be at least 20 minutes shorter :P

Jeff,

I agree to all the <snip> comments. If DCA outgrows Rachacha, what a wonderful problem that will be.

Legionaires...I think I'll hide in the dugout rather than make a comment.

And now to change the subject for a moment . . .

Liz, I love your avatar. I had never really looked at it, but did for a second tonight and "got it" and laughed out loud. Nice!

And now, back to our regularly scheduled thread . . .

Edited by Periphery

Jeff,

I agree to all the <snip> comments. If DCA outgrows Rachacha, what a wonderful problem that will be.

Legionaires...I think I'll hide in the dugout rather than make a comment.

i emailed the national commander...not even a reply. i havent been into a legion since