Drum Corps on Scranton TV

If the fans really want a show back, shouldn't they look for other venues?

At the Harrisburg show, they made an announcement that they are trying to find a venue in the area.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how was the crowd...i couldnt see them from the end zone...err mid field :P

I know the crowd was there; I heard them. To see them from the front sideline, I had to pull out my 7X50 Bushnells. A low-power reflecting telescope might have been necessary from the center-X and beyond.

No such problem at Paetec Park. We'll know the middle names of all the fans in the front row.

No such problem at Paetec Park. We'll know the middle names of all the fans in the front row.

i'm in the 7th row for finals. you many not know my middle name by the end of the show but i have a feeling i'm going to know the color of the eyes of everyone on the field. :worthy:

i'm in the 7th row for finals. you many not know my middle name by the end of the show but i have a feeling i'm going to know the color of the eyes of everyone on the field. :worthy:

And your hair will be blown straight back so stiff, you'll need a full tube of gel just to get it back in some semblance of its former shape.

As each corps winds up for its knockout punch, everyone will look like Ravishing Ronald when he meets The Crusher at the center of the ring in Bugs Bunny's "Bunny Hugged" cartoon. (see http://indie.imdb.com/title/tt0043365/plotsummary)

Edited by Dale Bari

mostly all good comments...

As one who was intimately involved and can speak first hand... there is no question that the show out grew Scranton. Hopefully, Scranton will remain a major show sponsor in the future. I can verify the following...

1. For many years - Brownshirts from various departments (Moosic police and Lackawanna County Sheriffs mainly) were a problem. The last 2 years? We became a part of the solution to there problem. They were great to work with... this is coming from ME - most of you know my brownshirt history...

2. Lack of hotel space... you don't need a degree in hospitality to know that we had outgrown the area... but... it must be said that especially for the last 2 years... the county and city were pretty wonderful to us, but that did not increase the numbers at the turnstile and that IS and WAS a problem.

3. Baseball Stadium... no matter how we configured the stadium, there were/are less than 5000 quality drum corps seats - no where near enough for the show to be the kind of revenue producer necessary to foster the growth of DCA and help support the corps... Unlike DCI where the money distribution is nice to have but a pitance of the corps budget, the checks the DCA corps receive in the fall become a "make or break" to many of the fine competitors you see.

4. There was NO 2006 bid from Scranton - it is my personal belief that some of the key city fathers were under the impression that a bid would be presented, but those with the power to do so, never placed a bid on the table - I personally believe - because they knew they could not win. It was time for the championship to move on...

Rochester...

1. The size of the stadium should be near ideal... I suspect that everyone who wants decent front side seats will be able to get them AND I know that unlike almost any city in the world, non-drum corps fans WILL pay the price to come into the show and watch "another world championship finally back in Rochester". As a committee member for the '96 show, I was as stunned as anyone with the 4000+ walk up ticket buyers at finals... it was amazing... I stood next to Monroe County Sheriff Andy Maloney as he pulled out his cell phone and called the County Manager who had "found something better to do" that night and Andy told him in police terminology "Get your ### down here, you won't believe what's happening here"

I went out and talked to these people in line and what I heard was even MORE amazing... "My parents took me to Aquinas Stadium many times as a kid and I just could not miss the opportunity to see it again" repeat that statement several thousand times... actual finals attendance was 9500 which is only exceeded by some of those early shows at Aquinas in DCA history.

2. Parking - there's plenty of parking using the Kodak lots that are shared with Frontier Field, but the distance to walk from those lots to the stadium does present a problem. (2 blocks) I expect negative comments here... were the show at Wilson Stadium in Buffalo you would pay a fortune and in reality walk just as far... but it is a minor issue when balanced against the overall picture.. and leads into the "safety" factor...

3. If you go to the top of the fifty yard line and look out of the stadium to the west... you will be looking at the parking lot I used for 17 years... and the front of the building I worked in at 367 Orchard St. - by Rochester's standards the neighborhood is not the best but mind you it is not the worst either... it's the kind of neighborhood where it was "helped" by tearing things down and building a stadium... duh./???? go figure! The bottom line is that it isn't Bronx either - ever gone more than a block from Yankee stadium???... and I fully expect the authorities to have very tight security during stadium events...

4. Field type - new artificial grass... same as Wilson Stadium... perfect for drum corps in any weather... speaking of:

5. Weather - summer ending Labor Day weather in Rochester is probably as good as anywhere east of the Mississippi. Hurricane type patterns up the east coast always made Allentown and to a lessor extent Scranton susceptible to long periods of drenching rain. This would be MOST unusual in Rochester... it is traditionally one of the best weather weekends of the year... don't shoot me if it sours... weather is still weather... but the statistics are very much in your favor...

6. Support - Allen Buell and Empire with the help of Crusaders have done a great job of rallying the troops... city support is strong and this is because of dollars and cents... DCA is now a very well known product... it's easy to put the money on the paper for the city people to see... The ownership of the Rhinos (Donner and DuRoss) are anxious to prove that the stadium is not a soccer only facility but a community asset... they are bending over backward for this event...

7. Size and hotels... at just under a million in the metropolis... the city can handle the demand from a hotel and restaurant stand point as well as most major metro areas and certainly better than Scranton that simply did not offer enough rooms.

8. Tourism... anyone who has not been to the area will find plenty to do... no matter what you are into... Rochester's east end restaurants and clubs (around Eastman Music School campus downtown and in walking distance of downtown hotels) are great for the younger more energetic groups... Niagara Falls is close enough to see if you have never been there it's a must... People from Europe or Japan interested should - after checking normal flight arrangements - check arrangements into Toronto... renting a car there and driving to Rochester is no big deal... almost every major overseas trip I have taken was cheaper leaving from Toronto.. and you can catch Niagara Falls on the way over or back... If you are into scenic beauty... you can either go along Lake Ontario and it's many miles of beaches or drive a short distance to NY's Finger Lakes area and wine country... Finally, in the city, you should catch the George Eastman House... amazing place... and the stadium near Kodak World Headquarters is also not far from Kodak Park... I always get a kick out of George Eastman's Grave and Building One which are right on Lake Ave. at the park... and the big surprise is upper falls across the street from Kodak world headquarters... in walking distance of the stadium is hidden a large gorge and significant water falls... if you don't look for it... you'll miss it...

9. the downtown convention center and hotels will make for a great venue for I&E... far fewer problems than some of the "makeshift" venues of the past.

All in all, I expect DCA Rochester to be a huge success...

<snip> Brownshirts from various departments (Moosic police and Lackawanna County Sheriffs mainly) were a problem. The last 2 years? We became a part of the solution to there problem. They were great to work with... this is coming from ME - most of you know my brownshirt history...

<snip>

All in all, I expect DCA Rochester to be a huge success...

Tom, thanks for stepping off the soapbox, chopping it up into kindling, then looking at folks eye-to-eye and leveling. Beats the too-common "No comment" or twisted political rhetoric.

For the few fan$ and performers who don't believe they've just heard directly from the Horse's Mouth, I have a trophy that sits proudly on my desk ya' can kiss -- For last place in a canoe race...(but, oh, what a romantic day drifting down....).

seems to me like the only problem with rochester= no stadium clum, but i guess we'll have to deal.

And being from Scranton myself, i can tell you that the city fathers did want the show back, but they knew it would be fruitless. Also, they have taken the proper route these past few years of weeding out the "I hate everyone" police officers and have made some changes in that department to make it better for the community.

Not to sound racist at all (I heard thus rumor, I don't see the migration as a problem, but a lot of "old timers" around this area do) But a lot of those cops were ###### that scranton is taking on such an ethnic background and people moving from the city that the old fashioned guys just saw DCA as another lead to the problem (Don't ask how they made that connection, but rumor has it this was some of the problem).

Also, with such a mafioso background, many of the old officers had these ties and didn't think they could ever lose their jobs or get in trouble.

But the last two years they definately cleaned up the act by hiring some new guys and reprimanding the old ones who cause trouble.

But all in all, Rochester is definately going to be friendlier to us from what Mr Peashey says.

Edited by xtreme0204

seems to me like the only problem with rochester= no stadium clum, but i guess we'll have to deal.

And being from Scranton myself, i can tell you that the city fathers did want the show back, but they knew it would be fruitless. Also, they have taken the proper route these past few years of weeding out the "I hate everyone" police officers and have made some changes in that department to make it better for the community.

Not to sound racist at all (I heard thus rumor, I don't see the migration as a problem, but a lot of "old timers" around this area do) But a lot of those cops were ###### that scranton is taking on such an ethnic background and people moving from the city that the old fashioned guys just saw DCA as another lead to the problem (Don't ask how they made that connection, but rumor has it this was some of the problem).

Also, with such a mafioso background, many of the old officers had these ties and didn't think they could ever lose their jobs or get in trouble.

But the last two years they definately cleaned up the act by hiring some new guys and reprimanding the old ones who cause trouble.

But all in all, Rochester is definately going to be friendlier to us from what Mr Peashey says.

I know exactly what you're talking about. The same issues that Scranton is having with migration, Williamsport has had for years with folks from Philadelphia.

Rochester sounds like it's going to be a great place! Too bad I'm probably going to be too poor to attend this year.

Only thing I'll add to Toms lines about the weather is this.

"Check what the low temperature is supposed to be and pack accordingly".

Only problem I ever had at Rochester in the 70s was very cold nights once the sun went down. Remember sitting on the parking lot during a late night practice to get warmth off the blacktop as my pants and t-shirt weren't keeping me warm.

And we won's discuss that 1979 show where people had blankets and were wearing snowmobile gloves. Clap, clap, clap sounded like clomp, clomp, clomp.

Stil glad to be take the extra drive to Rochester, lotta of memories and great corps area in my time. Only reason I saw the blankets and gloves was those folks were on the backfield stands and the front half was sold out. :laugh: (Only warm up I remember from my time.)

PS: If any of you know any of the Seniors from the Scranton Jesuit School, just let them know that two CV'ers KNOW what happened in the Burlington Hotel Bar in Dublin Ireland last Friday night!!!! I'll give you a hint: Jesuit Kid's + Scottish Bachelor Party+ drinking age low= ENTERTAINMENT..........

^0^

Once again Patrick you made my heart skip a beat........My niece went to the University of Scranton - a Jesuit School AND was in Dublin Ireland last week.........then I realized duh.......she's now a graduate but.............Please tell me it was a girl named Kelly??????