Drum Corps and Gas

Drum Corps and Gass  

183 members have voted

1. 1. What should the corps do about gas prices?

• Increase Fuel Fund Donations
    • Increase Member Fees
    • Decrease Tour Schedule
    • Sell the Amps
    • Increase Sovie Sales
    • None of the above
    • All of the above
    • Other (please explain)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i live by detroit and it is only about 2.69

Premium in Clarkston was $3.09 and regular was $2.89....my car takes premium!! :P

Well then that wouldn't help the other corps by selling the amps now would it. Plus not every corps uses amps. And I'm sure that all of the corps would get a discount of some kind.

My vote to sell amps, like many, is more of a joke. I know that won't begin to solve the gas problem.

In my original post I stated I think it needs to be a combination of things:

More regional only touring for the first half of the summer;

Perhaps some coprs might find a way to elimate one vehicle;

Sponsorship;

Donation buckets at the souvie booths, I can't buy a T-shirt from every corps, but I can put a couple dollars in the bucket;

DCI can perhaps help with additional gas subsidies.

Other ideas that are being talked about.

Interesting that this topic came up on the day when I was going to search the forums to see if anyone had been discussing BioDiesel (http://www.biodiesel.org).

The question I was going to ask was that as much as I love drum corps and as much as I AM NOT a hippy, is it ecologically responsible for the Drum Corps activity to burn the amount of fuel/create the amount of emissions that they do in a season? Bio-Diesel may be a solution to this, as well as the cost of fuel issue. I have a friend who has the converter kit in his car to allow it to run on BioDiesel, and he said that in Minnesota here, it finally just hit where BioDiesel is slightly lower than regular. Since it is essentially a fuel created from vegetable oil and the US already produces an excess of Corn, it should only get cheaper as they refine the process and increase availability.

So, what do I think corps should do? A) Use Bio-Diesel. Since drum corps is a summer activity, viscosity should not be an issue. B) Travel smart. If you are going to be leaving tour to do a two day re-write camp, try to find a town to host that will pay for your gas in exchange for a clinic or concert package. Or a town that will feed you while you're there so that you can put the food budget for those days toward fuel.

A completely off the wall idea would be small corps arranging to tour together. I know when I was in the Northmen in 1994, we basically went town to town with the Madison Jr. Scouts, and the Bandettes (and probably some others if I thought about it). For our respective sizes, we could have easily fit all of our members and staff on two full sized charter busses. And probably could have even fit all of our equipment on one semi and then had one food truck. Would it take some doing? Sure. Would it be inconvenient? Probably at first while corps got used to "carpooling". Would it have saved money and reduced environmental concerns? ABSOLUTELY. We were all going the same places every day anyhow. This idea is obviously not without it's challenges...but it could work - and I think with a lot less effort than it would sound like.

how about making the tour schedule where you visit a certain region or area instead of zig zagging all over the US. And then lets not forget the finals in california next year? yikes...

"How About":

A "Return To It's Roots": A COMMUNITY BASED junior "Drum & Bugle Corps" activity, that recruits LOCALLY, competes on weekends, and has a "TOUR" to "Nationals".....

Hopkins is already playing "Chicken Little" on his blog, and saying that the "Sky is falling". Hate to say it, but this time, he may be right. b**bs

DCI's insane nation wide "Tour Fixation" is comming back in a big way to haunt them.

Elphaba

However, you have to temper that with the fact that corps will be using diesel-run buses for the immediate future, as new technology will be expensive to implement, and in most of the lower-tier corps cases'...quite a bit of the bus/travel equipment is not new to begin with.

And on top of that, I wouldn't expect charter busses to be high on the list of vehicles that get converted/manufactured to run on ethanol/hydrogen/whatever else.

Gas is still 2.69 here to.

~>conner

yeah, I went up to Charlotte the other day... it's getting up there to.

Luckily, I'm right below the border of SC/NC, and all the trends I've seen, SC gas is ALOT cheaper.

~>conner