Phoenix Regional 2007

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AZ gets hot, but I STILL prefer AZ's heat over Louisianna's humidity/heat...or Alabama's...or France's...or Rhode Island's (those of you at finals last year know exactly what I'm talking about).

I can probably count the number of times it's been over 120 on my right hand.

Besides, if the staff does their job and gives water breaks (like they should in any rehearsal situation) then it will be no different. It's not impossible to stay hydrated in AZ.

Been there, done all that...no big deal.

I get a little riled up when people talk about AZ like it's a stepping stone to ####... :P

w/Stp: :laugh:

but substitute louisiana, etc for band camp in miami in august. yuck, i'd rather go back to my all-days in phoenix.

Edited by BariEuph

How about a Western Regional in San Diego (since we lost out on championships) the Saturday before Finals?

Temp about 80 during the day

Close to Pasadena so less travel (corps can get set up in their housing early)

Schools don't start until mid-August in SD

Close to entertainment and the beach

Sounds like a G R E A T idea to me!

No it's not, it's about 8 hours by car to LA......so you're talkin about 10 hours by bus. Not all schools start in July or the first week of August. My old high school started I think the 2nd or 3rd week of August. So there are ways around it. And yes it does get hotter than 120 on a normal basis, atleast 5-8 times a summer. August is usually the worst. 115 on average, but some nights when the monsoon hits there's no way to practice in that...30mph winds and hard rain with lightning...no thank you!!

It's 5 and a half hours from Phoenix to my home in Claremont (I have lived in both Phoenix and So Cal and made the drive more times than I would like to recall). Currently I am about 30 minutes from Pasadena. I would say 6 hours is a good estimate.

But does it really matter?

In fact, this year, the corps have a show in Bakersfield, then hop on the busses and head all the way to Mesa, AZ for a show the next night. Talk about a LONG overnight trip. Get off the bus, warm up and straight to the starting line. I would say that will be about a ten hour trip, probably more.

Edited by Newseditor44

the town is tiiiiny

But driving by car and bus are apples and oranges! 6 hours by car is still like 9-10 hours by bus. I have driven to LA quite a few times, mostly with my old high school band. We would leave at 6-7am and not get there till 2-3pm.

Flagstaff is way to small, if anything I would say Tucson. It is slightly cooler than Phoenix, Arizona Stadium isn't the best but isn't the worst stadium to play in. I would think it's probably have the above average side. However, the Cardinals just got a new dome so the fans wouldn't be dying outside. And as long as you stay hydrated you are fine! Alabama is much worse, you drink and sweat it off 5 mins later!! I think the worst part about AZ is the sun, that can just zap you after a day of being in the sun. But we have some pool parks and it would be really cool if DCI rented out like, for AZ ppl, Golf Land and let all of the corps have a free day there!! Good way to interact with other members!!

high school bands also stop frequently, stop for meals, etc. i've driven from phoenix to california, with a drum corps caravan of buses and equipment trucks... it didn't take nine to ten hours. i guess we were a phenomenon?

UofA stadium would be horrible for a show...i've marched there before in high school as a member and as a drum major....either way, someone gets screwed. the stands face east/west, not north south. backfield marching? blinded. the fans or the members get POUNDED.

you sweat doing corps in arizona. TRUST ME. it just evaporates right off of you.