Male to female ratio

Other than the obvious all male/all female corps over the years, it seem like watching the older videos, that most of the hornlines and drumlines tended to be almost all male, where as the guards were almost all female.

Just wondering these days, what percentage of horn players are female would you say, and what percentage of percussion lines are female? It seems like most colorguards are close to 50/50 male/female these days, just wondered how close horns and percussion are to this.

I would say there are very few girls in drumlines. Why? I don't know. As far as guards, I am a big fan of all female guards. Call me what you want, but I just don't like seeing guys in guard. Maybe when it really fits like the soldiers in Cadets 02, but other than that kind of thing, I just can't dig it.

• Thanks 1

Well, I've said for years that some corps could really have something to talk about if they came out with a smokin' all girl snare line. And I don't

mean smokin' in the sense that they are all hot looking girls...

Cadets, SCV, BD, Bluecoats, Crossmen, and many others, have all had awesome female snare drummers in their lines at one time or another.

A corps wouldn't (and shouldn't...) intentionally snub the guys just to get this, and I don't think that could happen anyway simply because of the

ratio of female's trying out for snare vs. the males that try out. But it would really make a statement for the girls if this could/would ever happen

to come together somewhere, someplace, somehow, someway.

Kinda like VK's cymbal line back in the eighties... all hot babes who could play those plates. (...and as a side note to that, I will also say that for those

of you who still think old school and think cymbals is where all the people who can't play other instruments wind up, think again. But that's a subject

for another thread...)

In most corps I think the male/female ratio in horn lines is somewhat even these days. The exception seems to be the highest ranking Div I corps. Most years it seems Cadets, BD, SCV, and Phantom are dominated with males with just 8-10, maybe 15 females in the horn line.

when i marched, it was 10 out of 55, and none in the DL. the highest ratio of females per section was in the mellophones, and that seems to be pretty common everywhere, followed by trumpets/sop, baritoniums, and tubas.

Girls typically don't become percussionists in elementary or middle schools (whenever you start) because "drums" are perceived to be boys instruments. There are many girl drummers but not nearly as many as the boys. Therefore....there are less girl percussionists in drumcorps.

Likewise...the mello section almost always has the highest percentage of female members. One reason for this, most horn sections that I have seen are made up of a greater number of females. Why? Not sure. Again, it may have something to do with the horn being perceived as a more "feminine" instrument. We discussed this phenomenon in my sociology class in college.

Kids are strange :)

both years I marched Capital Regiment, there were all guys in the percussion section except for 3 girls in the percussion section, and i was the only female turnover from '03 to '04.

from what i saw last year - there were more girls in the pit at CR, but still an all male battery (i believe)