DCA vs. DCI

Ding Ding.....round 12,362 begins.....lol

This has been discussed many times in the past and Ithink the best description I remember reading is the comparing DCA to DCI is like comparing apples to oranges. They are both fruits but with different flavors and outward design.

Do a search for DCA vs DCI and you will find some other discussions.

It depends on your definition of "better".

(With apologies, sorta, to President William Jefferson Clinton.)

If there was a DCI show and a DCA show on the same day, and both were of equal distance from my home. Also,, both featured the most competitive corps both circuits have to offer. Why should I attend the DCA show instead of DCI?

If there was a DCI show and a DCA show on the same day, and both were of equal distance from my home. Also,, both featured the most competitive corps both circuits have to offer. Why should I attend the DCA show instead of DCI?

I’m going to, at the risk of being flambéed, answer exactly the question you asked, “Why should I attend the DCA show instead of DCI?” (I am not answering the question, “Which show should I attend?” Your question implies that you have decided to see the DCA show and are asking for justification.

First some assumptions:

- You live in DCA East territory: Pennsylvania/New England/New Jersey/New York.

- You’re talking about a “typical” show. Not a DCI Regional, not either championship.

Now, “Why should I attend the DCA show instead of DCI?”

- You want to see three or four of the top ten corps. (OK, your question had the caveat, "both featured the most competitive corps both circuits have to offer". But, except for the Eastern Regional, that isn't the case with the DCI shows near me.)

- You like the sound of G horns.

- You want to hear more recognizable music.

- You like retreat.

- You want to see a different mix of corps than last week’s show.

- You appreciate the local, amateur version of the activity versus the live-on-a-bus, professional version.

And please don’t forget, if you live in the Northeast, DCA probably has shows within two hours drive of you on multiple weekends. You’re not locked into one date to see a DCA show. See the DCI show when it’s in town. DCA will be back in a few weeks.

Edited by The Oz

...........to hear some songs,..................

Pulling up a lawn chair and a cooler of frosty beverages. Let the games begin. :-)

Seriously though. DCA v DCI is a moot point, IMHO. It is really a question of which corps are performing at which venue. The differences between DCA and DCI are one of organizational then anything else, I think. When it comes down to choosing a show to go to, use the corps to decide, not whether they are DCI or DCA corps.

Bob

P.S. The opinions expressed herein are those solely of the poster and do not reflect the opinions of any organization the poster may be a part of, have been a part of, may be a part of, or any organization that wants to be a part of him (nanobots are being installed next week).

Can someone please explain to me how DCA is better than DCI?

simple answer ~ it can't be explained as better because they are 2 entirely different animals. what can be explained is how someone might prefer one over the other. does that make the one that isn't as preferred wrong, bad, evil, terrible, horrible, et al, ad infinitum? NO. just means that some people prefer different things. it's that type of stuff that makes the world go around, keeps us on our collective toes, and has started war after war. :P

so you really aren't going to get a real answer to your question as phrased.