I'm pretty worried right now...

I think that the only solution will be to build busses that are powered by alternative fuel sources. However, the problem with that is finding places to fill up while on tour. See, it won't be a problem once alternative fuels become widespread, but until then, there most likely won't be any fuel depots where a bus could fill up.

Hybrid engines would be nice, but I would like to see one with enough torque to pull a tour bus. They're great for personal cars, however. A friend of mine drives a hybrid, and spends about $15 every 2 weeks on gas. The engine uses electricity up until 20 mph, when it switches to gas power. The friction from the brakes charges the battery, so there's no need to plug it in. And if the battery somehow runs low or needs more torque, the car will switch to gas until enough charge is built.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the only solution will be to build busses that are powered by alternative fuel sources.

w/Stp:

Being a native Brazilian, I can say that Brazil has been pretty much independent from oil for about 30 years now, and they will continue to be that way due to the sugar cane industry. I wouldn't understand if the United States were to be independent from oil 10-15 years from now, with the harvesting of corn, soy and other grains from which alcohol can be produced. I do see (from news sources) that there are more and more E85 plants sprouting around the nation, and from my biased opinion, I think that is great for everyone.

w/Stp:

Being a native Brazilian, I can say that Brazil has been pretty much independent from oil for about 30 years now, and they will continue to be that way due to the sugar cane industry. I wouldn't understand if the United States were to be independent from oil 10-15 years from now, with the harvesting of corn, soy and other grains from which alcohol can be produced. I do see (from news sources) that there are more and more E85 plants sprouting around the nation, and from my biased opinion, I think that is great for everyone.

Not to be politically incorrect, BUT, we need to stop giving away so much of our "excess" grains that we can use for these new fuels. Maybe if we started charging a realistic rate for our food now, we could all afford the $3.00+/gallon for gas. Instead of a bushel of good Kansas wheat being given away for free over in the middle east or Africa, or sold for $4.00/bushel to Venezula, how about $15.00/bushel?

You can actually survive without oil, but you cannot survive without food.

You know, we haven't built an oil refinery in 30 years. We can get all the oil we want, but it doesn't help if we can't refine the stuff into gasoline. Also, we should be investing in alternate fuels. I just hope corps can survive in this energy climate.

"Hybrid engines would be nice, but I would like to see one with enough torque to pull a tour bus. "

diesel locomotives have actually been diesel-electric hybrids for decades. These locmotives alone can weigh 80-90 tons, let alone the crap they're pulling. I think there would be plently of torque to push a 20 ton bus around. Of course the 3200 HP 8520 cubic inch two-stroke turbo diesel v12 in a train would weigh about 30,000 pounds on its own and would obviously be scaled back just a touch for bus.

I can just picture some poor field lining crew shucking corn to make ethanol to power this whole mess...

I wish America would become enegery indepent. I just saw something on Brazil and they are about too. They use sugar cane to make E100 and they have flexfuel cars that work on both gasoline and E100. I wish America would use our source of E85 and become more indepent. It would cost a lot of money but if corps could some how find a way to buy one E85 vechile at a time, starting with semis that would help a little bit. Or if worst comes to worst, I saw on mythbusters, corps could always use their cooking oil and filter it instead of using desiel. Feed the corps, gas the corps.

But in all honesty, I think corps are going to have to start traveling lighter. I have said this before in another thread, but staff members getting their own charter bus (coach) is really just a waste of gas!! If they really want the space then buy a trailer and haul the trailer around for them to sleep in. (taking a guess) I think using 2-3 vans for staff and volunteers would be cheaper than using an entire bus!! Plus it's easier for staff to use a vechile for quick errands. And this is when you could start to buy E85 vechiles. If I heard correctly, you do not get more MPH for E85....however, you get more HP and that will get you farther on the same amount.

I have a client who is converting soybean oil to biodiesel. We're not selling B20 at a pump, but there are 2 gas stations that sell B20 at the pump. Just last week I took a phone call from a guy who has a truck and wants to run biodiesel in it instead of petroleum diesel, and was wondering if he could get it from us. There are biodiesel plants around the country, and just last week, Chevron announced that they're getting into the business and will be constructing their own plant.

At a recent conference, Valero was looking into either using B100 as an additive or simply selling B20 at the pump. Their concern was supply, and if there is enough biodiesel being made in the US to make it feasible. BTW, the country will be switching to ultra low sulfur diesel in June, which makes something like a biodiesel blend more attractive.

I would rather see 1 staff bus over 2-3 staff vans. You still have to fuel up those vans, and you'll need drivers. I would think one dedicated bus driver would be much safer than having staff / volunteers working hard all day then driving all night.

This morning on NPR I heard a discussion about a guy who is using straw to make ethanol. If I remember correctly (I was just waking up) straw is really hard to break down but he has a special process to do it, and many times the straw is simply burned in the fields because there's no use for it.

I'm excited (and very glad) to hear that alternative fuels like E85 and B100 are being developed and being talked about.

Edited by Kimberly

You know, we haven't built an oil refinery in 30 years. We can get all the oil we want, but it doesn't help if we can't refine the stuff into gasoline. Also, we should be investing in alternate fuels. I just hope corps can survive in this energy climate.

Also understand our refineries are behind in maintenance and upgrades. Guess too much $$$$ would be lost to shut down for a few months for modifications.

I think the world governments should do something about the oil companies.

However, do you think Bush is going to do anything as long as he's in the OIL business as well.

These oil companies are making billions of dollars and I don't see any letting up on the price of gas !!

Just be glad you don't live in Europe, the price of gas is $ 5-6.00 a gallon !! b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

Maybe if we all buy some EXXON stocks and get some of our money back in dividends. B) B)

What's the government to do besides removing their tax from the gas? The oil companys only have a profit margin between 8-10%. It's not like they are doing 25% like the liberals want people to believe. :ph34r:

I think the focus of our political/economic system is so much on the short-term (especially in the energy department) that no one ever cared enough about the long-term because it wasn't a politically potent issue . . . politically speaking. And of course, no one in the energy industry cared about it because it didn't make any money in the short term. I'm talking about 10-30 years ago, when this problem should have been prepared for and solved.