I'm pretty worried right now...

Here's my 2¢...

Assume a corps has 10 vehicles, and they get 10mpg each. Caravan travels at a gallon a mile. Gas goes up $1/gallon, and a corps travels 12000 miles in a summer. Easy math; $12,000.

That's not an insignificant or immaterial amount per summer, but remember what the annual budgets are for corps. Is it more expensive? Yep. But at some point, it's a "cost of doing business".

There have been a lot of advances with corps uniforms that have made them cheaper. Dry clean only is rare. Appearance fees are up, are they not? So are ticket prices. So are food prices. So are tour fees.

That said, we should all be aware that buying one more souvie or sending $10 more bucks is important. Inflation happens. Just as others have said that gas used to be a dollar, a $20 donation then isn't a $20 donation now. Now it's time to drop in $40-$60 in the hat. Oil has outpaced other costs, but costs go up. It's not the end of drum corps.

Just don't be stingy when it's your turn to write your check to your gas fund.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would be hard pressed to find regular unleaded gas prices above $3 per gallon outside of the west coast and NE. Most of the country has settled in at $2.75 to $2.95 per gallon. Gas futures have been falling as well (of course one good hurricane can change that as we saw last summer). It is hard to see how we will see much higher prices in the near term. Next year and years following, all bets are off.

Last time I checked, I was seeing the national average of gas to be about 3.33. Am I totally off by that?

Last time I checked, I was seeing the national average of gas to be about 3.33. Am I totally off by that?

Not sure about the national average, but last week I paid $3.59/gallon near the San Diego airport, then this morning I paid $2.62/gallon in Wichita. Maybe all of the shows should be held in Kansas and OK this summer :P .

Wow, then I like the gas prices where I live. In Northern NC, gas prices are around $2.85 per gallon. It's still expensive, but not as bad as in other areas within the US.

Haha, looking through my sisters old year book, the class of 2001 took pictures of gas prices because they thought they were so high. The price was $1.29 for premium, and $1.07 for regular.

How the times have changed.

Edited by flashofthunder

There is only one answer, and I think we're still a bit off from its arrival.

C'mon Doc, hurry up!

fusion4.jpg

w/Stp:

1.21 jigawatts will get a corps anywhere. :P

It would be nice to think that DCI has planned to assist corps with the increased travel expenses. Since DCI's revenue is increasing dramatically each year (DCI's tax filings are public record), it would be nice to know if they have set aside any of these funds in some sort of interest bearing gas fund, where the interest could be split between the corps...

Now, someone else pointed out that for many corps an additional $12,000 for travel/gas costs for a season is not the

end of their world, compared to the corps overall budget. Many corps are beginning to push the $1 Million budget mark. So in these instances, $12,000 represents between 1-2% of their overall budget.

But, I know some corps are feeling the pinch. I know of at least one top-12 corps who is limiting/decreasing the size of their fleet to compensate for increased gas prices...

M

I think the national average is a little above $3. Florida is at $2.97, I believe, and we're supposedly below the national average.

Edited by Jared_mello

Is it true that the price of gas today is still cheaper than it was back during the fuel crisis of the 70s, when compared to the value of the dollar?

If you look on the first page of this thread I already answered that question and provided a link with the figures