I'm pretty worried right now...

Mr. Dempsey--if what you say is correct, and that hydrogen fuel cells are ACTUALLY IN USE in other areas of the world, then our country--actually, let me be specific--OUR GOVERNMENT, is more screwed and corrupt than I can possibly ever imagine. Here I sat thinking I was getting a good handle on the world, and until I just read your post above, I was under the "mind control" assumption that we were still far away from getting hydrogen on board as an alternative fuel source. That is UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLE!!! IT'S IN USE!?!?!?!? AND WE'RE STILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL DEPENDENT ON OIL???????????

You know, I had a off-board convo with someone off of this particular thread, and I was lamenting the fact that the direction of the thread went a direction I never intended it to go...and that was a potpurri political/socio/economic discussion. I was really interested in the drum corps angle on this.

But if Dempsey is correct, I fear for the future of this country if our leaders don't collectively pull their freakin' heads out of their ##### and realize what's going on. It's bad enough they can't protect our southern border.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I also believe that Hydrogen is the answer, but it is still far from a reality. Right now, Hydrogen is still too expensive to produce. (typically electrolosis) Once the cost of manufacturing it come down then we have to build an infrastructure (hydrogen stations). It will be about 25 years before it will be as easy as gas. there is no mind control there. Although I don't think that the government has done all that they could have to help the technology be developed.

I think the world governments should do something about the oil companies.

However, do you think Bush is going to do anything as long as he's in the OIL business as well.

These oil companies are making billions of dollars and I don't see any letting up on the price of gas !!

Just be glad you don't live in Europe, the price of gas is $ 5-6.00 a gallon !! b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

Maybe if we all buy some EXXON stocks and get some of our money back in dividends. B) B)

It's a simple equation...Record high prices = record high profits. Don't tell me about production and demand until something changes in THAT formula.

What's the government to do besides removing their tax from the gas? The oil companys only have a profit margin between 8-10%. It's not like they are doing 25% like the liberals want people to believe. :drool:

I repeat the earlier formula, record high prices = record high profits. Every major oil company has reported record high profits, again. It don't have to be a liberal or a conservative to understand that simple formula. What can the government do about it? Let's see, the Clinton administration pressured the Middle East to increase production in order to ease demand. The Bush-Cheney administration is not doing this. But then again, those two men have over $85 million in oil, so they are in no hurry to see those profit margins drop. The good ole boys are taking care of themsleves and to H--L with everyone else.

What can the government do about it? Let's see, the Clinton administration pressured the Middle East to increase production in order to ease demand.

Could someone explain this to me? Do you mean that if McDonald's makes more hamburgers, I will desire to eat less of them? :drool:

Or if there are more drum corps, we will watch them less frequently? :ph34r::ph34r:

I don't get it. I was going to say that you don't get it, but I'm sorry - I don't get it.

It's a simple equation...Record high prices = record high profits. Don't tell me about production and demand until something changes in THAT formula.

That's the point - the formula doesn't change. And it won't. Ever. EVER.

If production falls relative to demand, prices go up.

If production rises relative to demand, prices should fall. Ask any corps souvie manager who still has 2002 t-shirts in stock.

It's not difficult - really, it's not.

I didn't read the whole thread, so if it's repeated, just ignore it

I heard somewhere Japan had hydrogen stations set up in their country already...

Also, to go along with the fuel replacements, a kid in my class actually did a speech on this. Pretty informative stuff. It costs a lot to convert your vehicle to an alternate fuel source such as ethanol if you already have a vehicle that runs only on gasoline, but in the long run it really saves a LOT of $$$. (environment friendly too). I heard vegetable oil can run pretty well too.

The general perception of you guys from across the pond has been one of a nation of gas guzzlers. Now before you all jump on me I should say that this is very much the word on the street. We've seen the traditionally large and inefficient cars (when compared to whats typical in Europe) and your more ingrained car culture, and we have drawn our conclusions from that.

That said over the last couple of decades I think it's obvious to anyone with half a brain the the two continents are moving more in line. We now have a lot of the same cars on the road etc. Though you guys still seem to be too much in love with 4x4's and SUV's! :)

For info in the UK right now "petrol" is about 95 pence a litre. Converted that's about $6.77 a gallon. It's a good job we don't have a touring circuit!!

Our public transport is quite dodgy too. The Japanese are the ones to look to for an example there. Latest talk here is of black boxes in cars and being charged per mile driven based on which roads you drive on and whether it's peak or off peak times. Now that's scary b**bs

Could someone explain this to me? Do you mean that if McDonald's makes more hamburgers, I will desire to eat less of them? :blink:

Or if there are more drum corps, we will watch them less frequently? :huh::lol:

I don't get it. I was going to say that you don't get it, but I'm sorry - I don't get it.

The greater the demand for something, the higher price the market will bear. OPEC determines how much oil it will produce at one time and how much to charge. If there is more oil being produced, there will be less demand for what is available and the price is lower.

More available oil = lower prices.

In the '90s when oil prices started to rise, the U.S. government pressured the middle east to increase the production of oil so there would be more available oil, relieving the pressure of demand and the prices went down again.

Using your analogy,

If you must have a McDonald's hamburger to survive and you go to McDonald's where there are 100 other people who also need hamburgers to survive and there are about 90-100 hamburgers already produced to be sold, McDonald's can charge maybe $5.00 a burger. However, if McDonald's increases production of hamburgers so that there are 500 burgers available to those 100 people, the market will not bear a price of $5.00 a burger and McDonald's can only charge $2.00 a burger.

Get it?

That's the point - the formula doesn't change. And it won't. Ever. EVER.

If production falls relative to demand, prices go up.

If production rises relative to demand, prices should fall. Ask any corps souvie manager who still has 2002 t-shirts in stock.

It's not difficult - really, it's not.

Ah, see? You do get it. If more oil is produced relative to demand, prices will fall. That is what happened in the '90s. The current administration (with nearly $100 million of personal money invested in oil) has not even asked OPEC to increase production, never mind actually applying some pressure to do so.