I'm pretty worried right now...

That's what I've heard but I can't verify if it's accurate or not. Gas is still a lot cheaper here than Europe at least. They're laughing at all of our moaning about prices.

The main reason why Europeans pay more for gas is the taxes they pay. They pay the same price per barrel of oil as we do. According to About.com, who quotes from Wikipedia, the maximum US gas tax rate, including state tax rates, et al, is about 17%. In France, the tax rate is about 70% of the gas price. The UK, in addition to the taxes it charges, has a 17.5% value added tax rate on the gas and the duty. Granted, we are comparing litres to gallons, but their tax rate is higher than ours regardless. The Europeans can laugh at us all they want, but they still pay more for gas than we do.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only one answer, and I think we're still a bit off from its arrival.

C'mon Doc, hurry up!

fusion4.jpg

One problem, Doc himself state the Mr. Fusion was used to generate the power for the flux capacitor, the car itself still required gasoline. B)

I just got back from Italy. Despite the strong Euro, et al, they're still paying E1.35ish per liter.

1.35*$1.22 conversion = $1.647/liter * 3.78 L/gal = $6.23

I guess the point is all moot, anyhow. Gas taxes are generally recovered to fund road improvements and such. You could eliminate the gas taxes, and just charge more sales tax. Cheaper gas, but now you tax people who don't drive.

Drum corps could pool together and create a hedge fund, but let's be honest here... what's it going to save? The cost of doing it wouldn't be worth it.

One thing to point out about cars in Europe, they are a luxury for the most part. Europeans have great public transport.

Our economy is tied to ours cars.

So is our dollar, petro-dollars. When Nixon took the US off the gold standard, in 1972 I think, the value of the dollar was tied to the oil markets. Right now it is in our gov't best interest to have oil be as high as possible to finance the astronomical debt this "republican" president has driven up. If oil was at 35 dollars a barrel, which used to be high, our gov't would be bankrupt.

Also, the US monopoly on petro-dollars is going to be broken by the Iranians very soon. They are going to start trading in Euros. Which is a stronger currancy, mainly because it is not debt-ridden like the US dollar.

Read this http://www.energybulletin.net/12125.html

This crisis with the Iranians has more to do with this new oil market than nukes. Because our global hegemony is beginning to be broken up it is entirely possible that the dollar and our economy will collapse in the very near future. In a democracy, the people get the gov't they deserve. At least gay people are getting married, right? I have enough faith in drum corps people to believe (hope) that none of you drank that Kool-aid, but enough malliable, ignorant, hateful, fearful, lemmings did drink the Kool-aid. As a result we are stuck with this gang of dirty, criminal gang of greedy little fixers. 911- do not even get me started on that...these are scary "men" who are willing to do and say ANYTHING!

When the final history is written about this gang of neo-facists, or corporatists, we'll find out how bad these guys have sold us down the river (middle class) and how open to collapse they left our economy. For what? Why?

Anytime you hear someone say the economy is fine, do not believe it. We all are feeling it.

The drum corps activity is going to have to be MUCH different in the future. We cannot continue like this. Kiwanis will not be the last. There will be teams out there that maybe should not be.

You young folks out there, educate yourselves about this stuff. Read the Bill of Rights. Learn how this economy really works. Learn to read between the lines. It is your futures that have been morgaged, you are the ones that have been saddled with fixing this long term.

The damage that has been done to our country and our special form of gov't have been done severe harm. I hope it is recoverable. All is lost if we do not have an educated, independent thinking citizenry. It takes some work, but laziness has left us with what we have now.

Edited by Amil Muzz

I have enough faith in drum corps people to believe (hope) that none of you drank that Kool-aid, but enough malliable, ignorant, hateful, fearful, lemmings did drink the Kool-aid. As a result we are stuck with this gang of dirty, criminal gang of greedy little fixers.

Simply because someone does not share your point of view is no reason to brand them with the derogatory and offensive labels you have chosen. I do not agree with your post or your politics but I am far from ignorant, hateful or fearful and my above-average intelligence assures that I am not the malleable lemming of which you speak.

What's the government to do besides removing their tax from the gas? The oil companys only have a profit margin between 8-10%. It's not like they are doing 25% like the liberals want people to believe. :laugh:

Someone with a brain, thank goodness.

Exxon has 70% of their business coming from other countries, while only 30% comes from the USA.

They are making ~8% profit on their sales.

IBM makes 8% as well.

(ponders)

DOWN WITH IBM!!! :ph34r:

Simply because someone does not share your point of view is no reason to brand them with the derogatory and offensive labels you have chosen. I do not agree with your post or your politics but I am far from ignorant, hateful or fearful and my above-average intelligence assures that I am not the malleable lemming of which you speak.

You can sure not like the adjectives I use, but give us some facts that refute any of it. If you are, I am sure you are above average intellegence give me a good arguement. Understand my choice underlines my extreme discomfort with the dire direction our society has taken. The offensive labels reflect my total contempt for the road we are on and my disappointment in this country for voting the way it did the last time around. Look at the numbers for why people voted the way they did. It ain't opinion, it is fact. In in the key states Rove got these anti-gay props on the ballots.

Anybody who votes based on the politics of exculsion are just plain wrong. Poltically I used to identify myself as a republican. Five years ago we probably would have been on a similar page. But the party left me behind in favor of the ultra right wing...

Are you in favor of having your phone records sold?

Are you in favor of this last tax cut that gives $1,000,000 earners $42,000 in savings and gives a $50,000 taxpayer $42.00 (forty-two) dollars in savings whilst our debt is in the trillions?

Are you in favor of the Chinese financing our debt?

Do you like paying $3.00+ in gas?

Do you like outsourcing?

This for me is beyond politics, party poltics. It has to do with the quality of society we have. For me, I don't like my 4th Amendment rights sold out. I do not like the fact that our activity is at the biggest crisis point I can remember, because of fuel prices. Drum Corps as we know is at risk. Next season (07) has got to have a different look.

As far as the economics, those are the facts. Find something that refutes it, please. I do not like it, but from where I sit, it is what it is.

Interesting article but his apparent joy in what could be summarized as the imminent fall of the American Empire makes me skeptical of his objectivity. If true this is scary. This is actually the only logical theory about us going to war for oil I've heard but I still don't see how Iran or Iraq going to Euros is a threat given that their currency isn't backed by gold either (see similar article below). This means they will have to play the same shell game with their currency that we do. http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Iraq/Iraq_dollar_vs_euro.html ://http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/I...r_vs_euro.html ://http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/I...r_vs_euro.html

"How would a shift to the euro affect underdeveloped countries, most of which are either non-oil producing or do not produce enough for their home consumption and development? These countries have to import oil. One of the advantages that may accrue to them is that they are likely to earn more euros than dollars since much of their trade is with the European countries. On the other hand, a shift to euro will pose a similar dilemma for them as dollars. They will have to pay for oil in euros, have enough euros deposited-invested in EU treasuries, and borrow euros if they do not have enough for their oil purchases. If, as is projected, the dollar and euro are in a price band (that is, prices will stay within an agreed upon range), they may not have much of a bargaining position."

isn't the internet cool?

One thing to point out about cars in Europe, they are a luxury for the most part. Europeans have great public transport.

Our economy is tied to ours cars.

So is our dollar, petro-dollars. When Nixon took the US off the gold standard, in 1972 I think, the value of the dollar was tied to the oil markets. Right now it is in our gov't best interest to have oil be as high as possible to finance the astronomical debt this "republican" president has driven up. If oil was at 35 dollars a barrel, which used to be high, our gov't would be bankrupt.

Also, the US monopoly on petro-dollars is going to be broken by the Iranians very soon. They are going to start trading in Euros. Which is a stronger currancy, mainly because it is not debt-ridden like the US dollar.

Read this http://www.energybulletin.net/12125.html

This crisis with the Iranians has more to do with this new oil market than nukes. Because our global hegemony is beginning to be broken up it is entirely possible that the dollar and our economy will collapse in the very near future. In a democracy, the people get the gov't they deserve. At least gay people are getting married, right? I have enough faith in drum corps people to believe (hope) that none of you drank that Kool-aid, but enough malliable, ignorant, hateful, fearful, lemmings did drink the Kool-aid. As a result we are stuck with this gang of dirty, criminal gang of greedy little fixers. 911- do not even get me started on that...these are scary "men" who are willing to do and say ANYTHING!

When the final history is written about this gang of neo-facists, or corporatists, we'll find out how bad these guys have sold us down the river (middle class) and how open to collapse they left our economy. For what? Why?

Anytime you hear someone say the economy is fine, do not believe it. We all are feeling it.

The drum corps activity is going to have to be MUCH different in the future. We cannot continue like this. Kiwanis will not be the last. There will be teams out there that maybe should not be.

You young folks out there, educate yourselves about this stuff. Read the Bill of Rights. Learn how this economy really works. Learn to read between the lines. It is your futures that have been morgaged, you are the ones that have been saddled with fixing this long term.

The damage that has been done to our country and our special form of gov't have been done severe harm. I hope it is recoverable. All is lost if we do not have an educated, independent thinking citizenry. It takes some work, but laziness has left us with what we have now.

Amil...........

You need to take that tinfoil off of your head. I thought for a moment I might have clicked on MoveOn.org or some conspiracy theory nut-job website.