Corps Rookie (Euph)

Euph@SC

I Guess I just have the air support to use a bucket

IMO, the marching version of the Euphonium requires a bucket. A 53D at a minimum in my opinion. I was a 51D fanatic, I even used it with my small bore tenor bone with no F. And most horns IMO are designed for that piece. But back in the two valve days, part were written up in tesatura to compesate. In this day and age, they are not written up, therefor you need a piece that compensates and gives you the ability to play the low end of the horn as freely as the high end. And a 51D does not do that for most marching Euphoniums.

I played an LM-20 for a while as it was as big as I could go without modifying my horn from it's factory mode. I then got my tuning slide cut about 1/2 or 2/3rds of an inch and went with an LM-35, which equates to roughly a 1 1/4G or 1 1/4H Bach mouthpiece. And even with the chop and larger piece, at times I'm still flat. But I at least have the option of pushing in now. A schilke 51D is great for most horns, but for a marching euphonium it is way too small in this day and age. You have to be able to honk a low D(treble clef) at fortississimo, which you just can't do on most marching horns with a 51D, IMO. As far as Player, mouthpiece, horn, part, the 51D just isn't big enough in this current trend, for most players, IN MY OPINION aka IMO.

• 5 weeks later...

Get a membership to your local health club and TRAIN! Train your butt off man! Euph is the hardest instrument just to hold and play. Work on strengthening all of your back muscles, those will be the ones in pain during #### month... actually they're going to hurt all summer. Tip: When working on any set of muscles you will only get maximum improvement if the opposite muscles are improving also. Example: You want to grow a massive chest and abs --> work upper and lower back also. Its the same backwards.

Also, work on standing with correct posture all the time... think marching band - just more relaxed. Get a personal trainer, he will show you. Believe it or not, the same "perfect posture" you use in corps is the same posture you HAVE to use when weight lifting or you will injure yourself.

Oh yeah, and practice your instrument too.

Edited by T man

Swimming is amazing, it gives you an almost unrivled aerobic workout

and it strengthens your entire upperbody.

practice practice practice

I recommend the rochut book

51D is my mouthpiece choice but I haven't tried very many

Edited by Mark Walton

I know I played a little sop, so don't kill me here low brass guys. :)

Your deltoids (shoulders) will bear the immediate brunt of the weight of the horn. Of course, everything is connected, so just building your delts won't do it. TMan and Mark have already said it, strength train and aerobic exercise is the way to go. You don't even have to bulk up your muscles, just tone. Also, never get into a "look what I can do" match at the gym. :sshh:

Give ear:In that Wishing you the Best of luck!

earspiritTerrance

• 1 month later...
Swimming is amazing, it gives you an almost unrivled aerobic workout

and it strengthens your entire upperbody.

practice practice practice

I recommend the rochut book

51D is my mouthpiece choice but I haven't tried very many

naw didn't think of that i'm just running alot now

and doing the adding extra weight on the bari

thats all

Your deltoids (shoulders) will bear the immediate brunt of the weight of the horn. Of course, everything is connected, so just building your delts won't do it.

Recalling my rookie year(circa 20th century) the muscle most impacted by playing Euph was the ones between the shoulder blades. My rookie year those muscles even knotted up and stayed knotted for several weeks, especially on the left side. The shoulders got tired, but never cramped or knotted. And the muscle on the forearm always grew about an inch by the end of tour. Basically bench presses and arm curling only builds up some of the muscles used when playing Euphonium.

• 1 month later...

Having never marched and not being able to play, I chose to watch all year as my Son played Baritone for Crown (he started on Euph but got moved so he wouldn't die!) the instructor was quite adament about the Schilke 51D....

for what it's worth, good luck!