Phantom 06 Vids

but those kids were playing the snot out of music that

That's where my problem lies. They obviously have a handle on the music, and they are obviously good players.

They are simply playing too loud, IMO.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, the HandyCam mike isn't donig justice to the volume of Scythian Suite's opening statement.

Maybe, but Canon sounded pretty sweet! ^OO^

What's up with the horns on the sideline in the 3rd clip. I think those male guard members are going to be horn players, idk. They might just be in the guard right there for a bit. This might be a post someone said, sorry if i'm repeating. :ph34r::unsure: B)

Edited by CoHmempho04

Whoa whoa whoa is everyone here mental??? That sounded pretty darn good to me.

What you're seeing here is actually a very interesting case study in bias and preference. I don't mean that in a bad way, either: although the word "bias" has a negative connotation to it, each and every one of us has biases that affect our every day life, from our preference of breakfast libations (coffee vs tea vs orange juice) to our taste in drum corps.

A lot of corps fan, particularly young ones (but not limited to them), are conditioned to dislike another corps or that corps' sound/marching. It's sometimes overt, but most often it's just something picked up subconsciously. It happened to me, and I remember it quite well, though at the time I had no idea it was happening. Marching in a corps that had a natural in-state rival, we told jokes about the Men in Green all the time. We ragged on them, made up songs about them, had fun with rivalry...but what that did in essence was condition me to dislike the Cavaliers. Not an out-and-out hatred of them, mind you, but yes...a very definite dislike. And it wasn't until I had been aged out a few years before I realised it. Tell you what...the Cavaliers have been one of my favourite corps the past decade, as anyone who has read my reviews on them can attest. But it took me a long time to take the competitive blinders off.

I reckon that a lot of folks would find problems with ANY recording purported to be Phantom Regiment, just because of those biases. (You can also apply this to a number of other corps, of course). I suspect that you could take the brass sections of the Top Five orchestras in the country, have them play a J.D. Shaw arrangement, and some pundit would still say something about them being "too bright," "out of tune," and "immature sounding." I am of course carrying this to a ridiculous extreme, but you get my drift.

Maybe a few intonation and articulation problems in the baritones in the second clip, but those kids were playing the snot out of music that 1) isn't easy to tune and 2) isn't easy to play. Get over the sound issue. 1) It's a handicam microphone and 2) NO group sounds that great from 15 feet away. I don't care who you are.

Yeah, well...like I said...I think that deep down inside some of the critics are well aware of the limitations of the recordings that were posted...not to mention the fact that the season hasn't even started yet, therefore things are still going to be rough for a while. But I really think that with some people, you're never going to play well enough or march well enough or drum well enough...some people's biases never leave them. And it's been a tough lesson to learn for me, but we have to learn to ignore it or deal with it.

Drum Corps instructor teach their kids to play up to the box and the sound that is recieved at the top of the stadium is what matters the most. I personally think that this is much better brass playing than the tid bits that the cadets have revieled. Especially that ballad where the trumpets just aren't supporting their sound enough. They end up missing their first attacks and they're straining when they go up a few half steps. Bad tone is bad musicianship, ESPECIALLY for something as delicate as a ballad.

Ah, you see? There was no need to go there. I actually think that the tidbits that the Cadets have revealed have been quite good. I'm not going to get into comparisons between the two corps over a preseason brass recording, but I didn't have any issues with the Cadets' outtakes, I thought they were good.

Boring my ###. What the heck is dcp listening for?!??!? I refuse to believe that all drum corps fans are listening for obnoxious piles of crap with overblowing brass and overplayed percussion playing tunes like malaguena or rocky point.

Speaking of biases, you've obviously got a strong one against the Cadets. You stick around long enough, and you pick up on everyone's preferences.

Jayzer marched Cavaliers recently...you can't expect him to embrace Regiment right now...he's still got competitive blinders, and probably will for some time if he's anything like I was. Neither TSRTS13 nor leadsop97 strike me as being Regiment fans...why are you so upset about it? And why take cheap potshots at Cadets? None of these guys, as far as I can tell, are Cadets or Cadets fans?

Frankly, it's to be expected that people will critique recordings of any corps, but especially Regiment because we're suffering from a lot of hype and excitement over last year's top three placement. The sooner you learn to just let the snide comments or critiques roll off your back, the happier you will be reading these kinds of threads.

:)

Came across these from a Phantom online group.. (searched to see if they were posted already, came up with nothing on the DCP forums)

Reposting for DCP's pleasure :unsure:

Opener : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci1VcEkBW1M

Another piece : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0TAzw2rr-o

Some drill : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6FbIJcUDdw

Warming up : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFT8E38Jqo

Another : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTzSPp1fk9c

Canon : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxlBHvOEcwc

That "another piece" is the Corigliano Piano Concerto

I enjoy everything that I heard. It has that classic Regiment sound that we all love. Obviously, it had it's faults, (like that lead euphs fracking what sounds like high A's during the Corigliano), but who doesn't make mistakes?

Nothing I'll lose sleep over..... or will I??

I like the book and hope the recording did not do the sound justice as it was a little harsh and too bright for my taste. I am looking forward to seeing this one this summer and hope they clean up the little details that could make it a very special moment!!! That is a book that I would guess most any Mello player would like to get ahold of.

i really dont know what smiley to use for this...

:unsure:

Amybody ready to wager on Birmingham AL yet??????????? This will be the first showdown between PR and Cadets. Regiment's 4th show and the Cadets first.