Phantom 06 Vids

I predict this will become most peoples' favorite Phantom show.

That said, I still can't stomach their brass sound.

i agree. "mouthpiece on a tin can." that sound may have cut it 15-20 years ago, but not by today's standards.

i dont know why any corps would try to play that loud on june 9. get the fundamentals of brass down first, then turn up the volume.

also, i havnt seen one example of that space chord-to-resolution thing actually working. i think its just a hype.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amybody ready to wager on Birmingham AL yet??????????? This will be the first showdown between PR and Cadets. Regiment's 4th show and the Cadets first.

I don't think Regiment has built up enough "coin" yet to take down the Cadets.

I say:

Cadets 75.5

Regiment 73.1

What's up with the horns on the sideline in the 3rd clip. I think those male guard members are going to be horn players, idk. They might just be in the guard right there for a bit. This might be a post someone said, sorry if i'm repeating. :ph34r::unsure: B)

Those people on the sideline are the alternates I do believe but if I'm wrong someone feel free to correct me. They spend the runs doing the drill as far as marching and horn moves, but on the sideline prepared to jump in if ever asked. And the guys in the guard are in the WHOLE show, again, mostly doing character work while doing great guard things. They're almost all drum corps experienced guys, a few of them having come from SCV with the guard staff.

i agree. "mouthpiece on a tin can." that sound may have cut it 15-20 years ago, but not by today's standards.

i dont know why any corps would try to play that loud on june 9. get the fundamentals of brass down first, then turn up the volume.

also, i havnt seen one example of that space chord-to-resolution thing actually working. i think its just a hype.

You have a very nice corps.

You have a very nice corps.

hah! touche'

btw i am not representing a corps

It hardly matters. You still have a very nice corps.

hah okay. you also have a very nice corps. you have a very nice car and house as well B)

Different school of thought on their approach to brass. Go look up the "Chicago School" of thought then get back to me.

Remember there is a million and one schools of thought on brass playing. Mine just happens to be better then yours :P !

Nikk,

You are pretty much right on about biases. Marching the corps that I did changed my entire perspective on music.

I must say that it entertains me to see the "roll eyes" as a response to my stating that I think they are playing too loud. Wanna come up with a real response?

My issue with their volume is that it pretty much destroys any clarity they might have had at a decent volume. The word that comes to mind when I hear them play is "violent". When they articulate as ensemble, I'm just like "holy ####, what was that noise?" That's not something I want to hear when I listen to drum corps.

When they play a loud extended chord, listen hard. What do you hear? Individual parts? No. It's noise.

That's my personal opinion. I realize other people think differently. It's not anything against Phantom. But, for the sake of music education, I hate to see that type of playing get rewarded the way it does sometimes, in the eyes of the judges and the fans.

Edited by Jayzer

I'm not sure that you can tell much of anything (substantively) about their sound from this recording. (As mentioned many times already...) Now, I honestly have no idea how things are run these days, but Dan Farrell (Program Coordinator and, more to the point, Lord of All Things Brass--as pertaining to Phantom Regiment) used to do just what you suggested. We were kept on a pretty tight leash for the first part of the season. After hours and hours (and mile upon mile) of long-tone laden tracking, he'd start sprinkling "magic dust" and turing up the volume. It's just a guess, but they probably do the same now. From 30 feet away, nearly any amount of corps-level volume is going to sound less than ideal on a camcorder mike.

Edited by year1buick