Screeching sopranos that like to hang over and stick out of the ensemb

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a rant. Just have to get it off my chest. I don't care what anyone else thinks, it's just my opinion. I know, this may belong in the Brass forum but I put it here because it's specifically regarding senior corps.

I think it's about time someone spoke up about this horrible practice that been going on for quite some time. I'm talking about the lead sopranos in hornlines (especially senior corps) who think it sounds good when they over play (not blending with the rest of the hornline) and try to reach high notes... badly. If it's a solo, fine. No problem. THAT'S when you should go for it and I love it!

When you're playing with the rest of the ensemble, however, you need to play the friggin notes that are written on the page and BLEND with the rest of the hornline. The mellophones and baritones and contra basses can do it, why can't you? I would really love to hear senior corps hornlines where every section from top to bottom actually blends and plays as an ensemble for a change.

Lead sops, you think you're doing the corps a favor when you screech and hang over 5 minutes after the rest of the hornline cut off? Do you think it helps when you play notes that the arranger / writer never intended? Nope. Wrong. Especially in smaller hornlines if you jump up and hit some ungodly note that was never written on your music you're hurting the integrity of the chord and it actually LOOSES IMPACT! OMG! Have you ever thought about it that way?

Stop trying to be a hero and perform as a memeber of the CORPS, not as an individual. Solos are exempt so blast away!

End of rant. :ph34r:

<Fire away!>

If you're thinking, "this jerk must be a brass instructor or a judge", you guessed right. I'm both.

Excellent point!

I agree with you, Bobby!

It's WAY too prevolent, and sounds like ####!!!

Occasionally, yes, these "hangovers" are appropriate, but the practice is abused,

and it is unnecessary a majority of the time!

As Danielle said...

"Some of these guys need to listen to a recording of themselves!"

Maybe that would help, but, then again...

I'm not certain that would be enough to convince them to stop.

It depends on the arrangement. As a rule, I don't do it and save the screaming for my solowork. If the horn instructor tells me to take something up in the ensemble, or if I think there is a good spot to take something up to enhance the song, then I will bring it up to him and ask if he thinks it's okay. The Yankee Rebels don't play too many jazz riffs where this type of thing would fit but the instructor is open to occasional creativity if it fits. No one in the section attempts this on their own and plays what is written unless otherwise told.

I generally don't think it sounds good when someone does that in the ensemble. It usually sounds sloppy and sometimes the note is missed and really sounds like crap! It usually goes sharp (EEK) and makes the audience cringe. A well played high note preferably in the appropriate solo can sound terrific if in tune and supported. Showing off your range is fine, if handled correctly and IN TUNE.

1) I'm a soprano, and

2) I agree.

Our Brass head is on us constantly about our cut-offs. If we don't hit them all at the same time, he has us do them over and over until we do. We are to play as a section and leave the extras to the soloists. I can relate to this personally, too, because I also have a soprano singing voice and when I was first discovering I had some talent, I thought it would add to the Church camp hymns if I sang on a measure or two. All I discovered was people looking at me like I was crazy. It just sounded tacky and distracted the rest of the people from the song. So sopranos, unless we have a solo that allows us some improvision, or have been given leave by the drum major, lets play the music the way it is written.

Thanks for bringing up the topic,

Elizabeth

as a former drummer, I used to think the "hang" thing was very cool - but not when it was "bad!" It has to be the right NOTE!

There's nothing like a screecher sop to punctuate something, whether solo or not - but beware if a "hang" had happened under the old "tick" system - don't think the 1/10 point deduction would have been welcome way back!!

i agree...the bass lines should hang over!

Lead sops, you think you're doing the corps a favor when you screech and hang over 5 minutes after the rest of the hornline cut off?

Although I've been going to drum corps shows since 1966, the first I became aware of this was when Madison did "God Bless the Child" in 1973. So, maybe we should blame this on BS&T.

This is a rant. Just have to get it off my chest. I don't care what anyone else thinks, it's just my opinion. I know, this may belong in the Brass forum but I put it here because it's specifically regarding senior corps.

I think it's about time someone spoke up about this horrible practice that been going on for quite some time. I'm talking about the lead sopranos in hornlines (especially senior corps) who think it sounds good when they over play (not blending with the rest of the hornline) and try to reach high notes... badly. If it's a solo, fine. No problem. THAT'S when you should go for it and I love it!

When you're playing with the rest of the ensemble, however, you need to play the friggin notes that are written on the page and BLEND with the rest of the hornline. The mellophones and baritones and contra basses can do it, why can't you? I would really love to hear senior corps hornlines where every section from top to bottom actually blends and plays as an ensemble for a change.

Lead sops, you think you're doing the corps a favor when you screech and hang over 5 minutes after the rest of the hornline cut off? Do you think it helps when you play notes that the arranger / writer never intended? Nope. Wrong. Especially in smaller hornlines if you jump up and hit some ungodly note that was never written on your music you're hurting the integrity of the chord and it actually LOOSES IMPACT! OMG! Have you ever thought about it that way?

Stop trying to be a hero and perform as a memeber of the CORPS, not as an individual. Solos are exempt so blast away!

End of rant. :ph34r:

<Fire away!>

Man, you hit the nail on the head. This is one of my biggest pet peaves in drum corps. There is nothing in jazz that dictates you have to have a lack of taste! Being a lead player in "real life" implies a developed sense of professionalism and musical experience. You have an awareness of what sounds good and adds to the ensemble sound and to the piece. The B.S. that goes on in drum corps is usually an insult to the music being played, and an insult to the listener who is forced to sit through it. Holding a pinched, out of tune, barely audible high note over a release just to massage your ego is uncalled for. And when combined with the requsite over the top pelvic thrusts, just looks sophmoric. <**> I wish it would stop.

Ahhh the hang over. A little secret, those that complain the most get the hang over named after them :P

I hearby declair then next 10 drumcorps hangovers will now be called "THX's" :ph34r: