Screeching sopranos that like to hang over and stick out of the ensemb

Don't forget that I'm right bhind you at that point in the show. You're in excellent aiming range. ^0^

sounds like the makings of a classic Three Stooges schtick :lol:

Oh, and - I've just never liked screaming sops who can't, regardless of where in the program they tighten their briefs and try.

Edited by lipsprain

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is "no fun" in listening to a half-###ed attempt at a high note, played out of tune then held over.

Then hold on to your hat, my friend, 'cause you won't believe the sop line at Gold this year. They play very well.

Of course, since I know it pisses you off, I'll make sure to add some hangs in there. They will be in tune though...we're not capable of being out.

I love Maynard, but even when he hangs over it sounds wrong.

Whenever our leads hang over, I try to match and exceed their hang over on my contra. Sometimes they get the idea and back off. If not, I encourage all of the contras to hang over at the end of each number.

Preach it, THX!

Gee Dee JAY, 1) didn't hear you complain when we went to see Maynard in East Liverpool a few years ago (you remember, when he shook my hand and I immediately rubbed my hand on my lips hoping that his amberture (sp) would somehow miraculously allow me to play as high as he does). and 2) when you can hit the equivalent of "G" above double "C" in bass clef like Gliatas does on soprano feel free to join in anytime.

Ahhh the hang over. A little secret, those that complain the most get the hang over named after them :P

I hearby declair then next 10 drumcorps hangovers will now be called "THX's" :lol:

*sniff* I don't know what to say! *sniff* Thank you! B)

Stop blaming the player and yell at the staff for allowing it.

As Cozy said, however there are particular idioms that actuall call for this EFFECT!!! Thats right ...EFFECT!!!

I would be the first guy to tell a soloist if it didnt fit as a brass instructor, but there are times when I have told the whole to play a dropped release, or as Cozy put it...a "blous". I can remember many times telling the whole line to throw in a "blous" in a spot that it is effective. In swing jazz, it is utilized very often as pat of the effectiveness of the arrangement. Without it, it would tend to be boring

Obviously there are still going to be heroes that think that it sounds good to hang over the release point when it isnt musical. That is when the person in front of the line must inform them that it wasnt an appropriate spot for the hung note. If it continues after the warning then take the solo away and play it yourself. LOL...that is how I got most of my solo work in drum corps. HAHA...

Donny

Thanks for piping in on that, Donny. I totally agree with you and I hope all our senior corps will take this as sound, musical advice.

BTW, if you just can't get enough of "screeching" and "hangovers", all you have to do is visit this website: JazzPlayerRadio.com. Enjoy! B)

Alright, I'll admit, I love that station. But- in Drum and Bugle Corps., there's a time and a place.

John,

<Striving to have fun with this thread.>

Too funny! I'd rather kiss off on any genre besides Manilow.

"And now, from Sacramento, ToP! Uh, Carolina...."

John,

This one's too close to the pit, uh, home, right? John just renamed a show: Gold: "ToP Plays Tofu!"

Wait a minute, how'd I miss my own Brass Head's response? I love music we are playing. I still say we should stick to the music and let our soloists do the rest.

let me correct that ~ the bass lines are hung over :lol:

not during the show. just afterwards

we need an award for sop soloists who hang over :P