Screeching sopranos that like to hang over and stick out of the ensemb

we need an award for sop soloists who hang over :P

As opposed to an award for hung-over sop soloists.

Besides, everyone knows those prima-donnas can't hold thier liquor like low brass, especially contra/tuba players can.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that even a fair comparison? :P

Gee Dee JAY, 1) didn't hear you complain when we went to see Maynard in East Liverpool a few years ago (you remember, when he shook my hand and I immediately rubbed my hand on my lips hoping that his amberture (sp) would somehow miraculously allow me to play as high as he does). and 2) when you can hit the equivalent of "G" above double "C" in bass clef like Gliatas does on soprano feel free to join in anytime.

Gee whillikers Mikey. If Gliatas could ever play it in the ensemble, cleanly, and cut off with the rest of us, I wouldn't have to join in.

If you'd like to get a copy of the recording of Black Saddles that he managed to ruin at the very end, I'd be happy to send it to you. (Actually, I don't know that it was him. It could have been you or Sweney)

The li'l disagreement between myself and another poster is over. Resolved. Thank you Jerald et al. for defending me. Let's be like John Z., Dugada, John A., etc., and just razz and laugh. Thanks to Tom, Larrie, NYSkyliner and others for standing up for Maynard.

Now, back to the antics. I propose we all meet at I&EMC. There, those of the jazz genre must conduct "...Ravel’s Bolero and Rimsky-Korsakov’s Capriccio Espagnol, joined together in a fiery combination of visual and musical color. The Buccaneers' hornline explores the impressionistic beauty and resplendence of Debussy’s Claire de Lune. A whirlwind flurry of rhythm, volume and speed completes the journey as the corps presents powerful and enchanting selections from Rimsky-Korsakov’s Sheherazade." Next, each will conduct "...the Bushwackers' Ron Nelson’s rousing and dynamic 'Rocky Point Holiday.'" -- Judged by DM Josh, if he can peel himself away from looking at his theatre "Exotic Impressions" poster, and DeLong and Ironlips.

Those of classical persuasions must pick up a horn to Gold's Tower of Power or CorpsVets' Vegas show. Donny will instruct hangovers, blous and kiss-offs while throwing chairs. -- Judged by DMs Brett, John and T.J., and DMs Marvin and Greg.

Congratulations to all for speaking their piece in a free society.

Great thread, and it went exactly as I thought it would. In one corner we have the sopranos, and in the other corner we have the notasopranos!

In keeping up with Duguda fighter pilot style - "Iceman" the baritone player (or contra, mello, etc) keeps his cool, plays technically well, and cuts off exactly when he is supposed to. Then there's "Maverick" the lead sop, doing unauthorized flybyes, buzzing the tower, and creating all kinds of havoc. But, the kid is #### good so they let him hang around anyway. Who wins in the end? I guess we all do - this is the yin/yang of drum corps. We need each other as wing men so we put up with whatever grievences because in most cases the end result of the ensemble is pretty cool. B)

With that being said, stop screeching and hanging over you sop ba$tards! It sounds like crap!! :sshh:

Love,

Iceman

here's question.....do fans like it? if so...then do what the fans want!

Stop blaming the player and yell at the staff for allowing it.

As Cozy said, however there are particular idioms that actuall call for this EFFECT!!! Thats right ...EFFECT!!!

I would be the first guy to tell a soloist if it didnt fit as a brass instructor, but there are times when I have told the whole to play a dropped release, or as Cozy put it...a "blous". I can remember many times telling the whole line to throw in a "blous" in a spot that it is effective. In swing jazz, it is utilized very often as pat of the effectiveness of the arrangement. Without it, it would tend to be boring

Obviously there are still going to be heroes that think that it sounds good to hang over the release point when it isnt musical. That is when the person in front of the line must inform them that it wasnt an appropriate spot for the hung note. If it continues after the warning then take the solo away and play it yourself. LOL...that is how I got most of my solo work in drum corps. HAHA...

Donny

......pretty tough to argue with Donny's point IMO.....

If your experience with jazz is playing it on a football field, listening to LPs and/or maybe even some lovely all-state band experience (yay!) then please do not pontificate on the 'technique' of hanging over.

As for 'my Corps' not playing jazz. Perhaps you need to be educated in that area as well.

Or perhaps not.

You are right though......this thread will teach no one a thing about jazz.

You are right on the money there Cozy.

Perhaps my All-State band experience doesn't hold water against, say Maynard's resumee, but I don't need to be a music major to hear what sounds bad. And seriously, there's not much that Maynard wouldn't do that you guys wouldn't worship, regardless of how good it sounds.

Also nice to know that you weren't trying to be condescending at all with your word choices. It's great to see that people can 'pontificate' without being offensive in these days with rap music and violent video games.

I've stacked my fair share of chords. I wouldn't dream of hanging it, though. The pop of a good release throughout the ensemble is far more impressive and hard to do well than the wow factor of one good soprano player playign a impossibly high note. It's barely ever done tastefully... And you'd be kidding yourself to say that the leads at Bucs and Phantom aren't stacking chords, but they certainly aren't doing it for the bragging rights of being the guy that hung a chord by 3 seconds at finals. When was the last time

As for the comment about how sopranos shouldn't blend with the corps... They'll never blend as long as show designers keep putting the higest, loudest section on the sideline in front of the corps. Especially since they have no physical demands put on them to limit their sound output. They'd drown out the rest of the corps on the back sideline, but instead, they're put up front so that everyone can see their face and the soloist can get their street cred.

In keeping up with Duguda fighter pilot style - "Iceman" the baritone player (or contra, mello, etc) keeps his cool, plays technically well, and cuts off exactly when he is supposed to. Then there's "Maverick" the lead sop, doing unauthorized flybyes, buzzing the tower, and creating all kinds of havoc. But, the kid is #### good so they let him hang around anyway.

ICEMAN

If I remember the story correctly.

Maverick comes in and saves the day and TELLS ICEMAN that ICEMAN can be HIS wingman anytime.

So ICeman,,you can be the lead sops wingman anytime you want too. :P :P :P

Perhaps my All-State band experience doesn't hold water against, say Maynard's resumee,

Your right,,it does not.

Come back to us when you are 78, still touring and have gold records hanging in your room and then we can talk. :) :) :) :) :)

Edited by camel lips