Review of Bakersfield Show

I guess I need to clarify. The review was not badly written because of spelling and grammar mistakes. It was very derogatory towards other corps and some of the arguments were not even logically signifcant in whether or not a corps had a good show.

Allow me to quote directly:

Speaking of the drum major, she came onto the podium wearing a shako at least three sizes too big for her. She dumped the shako before the show started, but at first I thought it was a joke.
But at least they performed their whole show, which is more than I can say for BDB.
why do you play a boring ballad in the middle of the show?
It seems that PC didn’t have a color guard, having decided instead to bring out a dance troupe. As with the other corps, the guard outfits made no sense.
Their huge horn line had a lot of impact, but they were only playing “la la LAAH.” The show is entertaining, but PC will never get the scores they are looking for unless they start playing something.
They seemed to be trying to wrest away from the Mandarins the title of “most obnoxious xylophones.”
The best thing I can say about these “uniforms” is that they were not as bad as last year’s hotel waiter/waitress outfits.
The women wore burgundy crushed velvet pants. Yuck.

And I suppose I should quote myself, since everyone missed it the first time.

All in all I respect your opinion, but this was a very badly written review.

Reviews don't have to be "polically correct" and don't have to be all happy and upbeat. If a corps had a terrible show where half the hornline smashed into each other, six drum heads popped, a guard member slashed someone with a saber, and the amps caught fire and burned the stadium down, you don't need to bash the corps using such derogatory language. Little consideration was given to the fact that this was an early season show and the reviewer tended to jump to conclusions and assume things that aren't necessarily true.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and again, I respect the fact that it seems that you had a very negative impression of the show, but a lot of you 22+ aged members tend to forget that there are a significant number of performers from those units that come onto these boards looking at reviews of their shows. When you review them in such a derogatory way it really makes them feel like their hard work, blood, sweat, and tears is being undermined.

I'm not saying you can't report the bad aspects of the shows or the things you didn't like, but at least try to not make the performers feel bad about the activity they love just as much as you do.

Edited by MagicBobert

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the review. Yes, the reviewer made some critical/negative comments but I don't think he did so with any malicious intent. In fact, I found his words to be honest and refreshing, and much more insightful than the typical "dude it rocked...this show is so freaking awesome...they were smoking" platitudes we often read.

I think it is great to read a review that gives honest opinions and doesnt try to make it politically correct.

People a review is simply the opinion of the poster. If you are offended by it and feel the need to defend it with excuses of this and that, perhaps it has struck something in you that you should look at closer but dont want to admit to.

Take a step back from being a member of the corps that got the harsh review, reread it, and think about the specific complaints of the poster. You just may find something that could be fixed easily. Then as the season progresses and better reviews come, you can look back, compare the reviews and say, "We really worked hard and it showed." That would be proven by the more positive reviews later in the season.

I guess I need to clarify. The review was not badly written because of spelling and grammar mistakes. It was very derogatory towards other corps and some of the arguments were not even logically signifcant in whether or not a corps had a good show.

Reviews don't have to be "polically correct" and don't have to be all happy and upbeat. If a corps had a terrible show where half the hornline smashed into each other, six drum heads popped, a guard member slashed someone with a saber, and the amps caught fire and burned the stadium down, you don't need to bash the corps using such derogatory language. Little consideration was given to the fact that this was an early season show and the reviewer tended to jump to conclusions and assume things that aren't necessarily true.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and again, I respect the fact that it seems that you had a very negative impression of the show, but a lot of you 22+ aged members tend to forget that there are a significant number of performers from those units that come onto these boards looking at reviews of their shows. When you review them in such a derogatory way it really makes them feel like their hard work, blood, sweat, and tears is being undermined.

I'm not saying you can't report the bad aspects of the shows or the things you didn't like, but at least try to not make the performers feel bad about the activity they love just as much as you do.

Hold on. If you're referring to me, I DIDN'T have a negative impression of the show. I had a blast! Of course, I expect to have a blast... If I don't then there is really something wrong. I can find the good hidden in any corps show. b**bs

I see the potential in EVERY ONE of the shows. I think Wssb can too, but perhaps he's just being HONEST in what he likes. It's all just an opinion. I'm 34 (gasp an old fart) and remember that there are a lot of members that read the reviews. That's why I don't say anything directed to the "kids". I point out some good, some bad, and comment on the design. The design is 95% out of the performer's hand. Unless you get a really good idea, tell the staff, and they decide to put it into the show...

Hey, go out and perform. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Hold on. If you're referring to me, I DIDN'T have a negative impression of the show. I had a blast! Of course, I expect to have a blast... If I don't then there is really something wrong. I can find the good hidden in any corps show. b**bs

I see the potential in EVERY ONE of the shows. I think Wssb can too, but perhaps he's just being HONEST in what he likes. It's all just an opinion. I'm 34 (gasp an old fart) and remember that there are a lot of members that read the reviews. That's why I don't say anything directed to the "kids". I point out some good, some bad, and comment on the design. The design is 95% out of the performer's hand. Unless you get a really good idea, tell the staff, and they decide to put it into the show...

Hey, go out and perform. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I wasn't referring to you. :)

I'm sorry, but I need to stand up and defend all the corps you just bashed.

They're having a rough year in terms of membership, so please cut them at least a little slack. Also, unless you spent the entire show staring at their pit I think it is rather unfair for you to say that they spent the entire show "slamming away" without looking up at the drum major. There are phasing issues in everyone's shows right now because the corps staff are still trying to work out staging issues. And what the heck does the size of the drum major's shako have to do with the corps performance? If it was too big, there's no reason to be bashing the corps for it. The problem could just have easily had been with a billion other things like early season shako sizing, the size of shakos in stock, etc.

First of all, the guard guy's name is Garrett, and he's almost 16 years old. And yes, he's crazy good. As for the guard work, we're working on finishing our show, just like most other corps in the nation, thanks for noticing. As for the brass chord, obviously your were too busy thinking of ways to criticize it than listening for the quality of sound and accuracy of intonation that the corps is working to achieve. And it's not a "production piece", it's 12 measures at the beginning of a production piece. It is not "beneath us" to play it, and as a member of the brassline I can say that that is one of the hardest parts in the show for me to play with good sound quality and intonation because I am breathing like mad and sweating bullets from the opener and the transition period in which I am jazz running to most of my sets. Playing long tones with good sound quality after such a physically taxing period is one of the hardest things you can do. It certainly isn't beneath the World Champion Blue Devils of 2003 (who did a similar "warm-up" during their championship-winning show), so it isn't "beneath us" either. As for the audience being completely unimpressed, I respect your opinion that YOU were completely unimpressed, but unless I was mistaken, I saw quite a bit more people than YOU in the stands. They don't need to clap/scream/shout/holler/throw babies to appreciate what we're doing. I can't comment as much about the drumline running "hot and cold", but I can say that Allan Kristensen gave them some very, very positive comments on their previous performances. Yes we played our closer at a standstill. We spent the majority of Monday's 9-9 learning intro material for the opener and the closer's drill, which was not clean enough to present on Tuesday night. I apologize for that, but that's how early season shows work. Our next show isn't until June 30 (the Precision West) at which we will have a completed show.

What a nice compliment to give their guard. Because they usually perform right before or after us I haven't have the privilege of seeing their show yet, but I'm sure when they picked out the guard uniforms they weren't going for the "Pilates class" look. I'm sure they go just fine with their show concept. As for the drill? That's a pretty stock drill move, I don't know why you're criticizing it. Phantom did as similar move last year, and they finished third in division one, so I'm sorry that it "didn't make sense" to you, but it's a cool move for some us. Bravo for the hornline's sound quality, and sounds like they're fighting fatigue, just like most of the other corps this early in the season. Also, how about leaving the BDB-bashing comments out of Santa Clara's review? Kudos to the drum major for having all of the stuff down, but I know for a fact that the "big corps" don't have "drones" on the podium.

I haven't had a chance to see them this season, so I can't really comment all that much, but why do you have to be so derogatory in your review. I know these guys are working hard and you're making it sound like they haven't been doing anything. I don't know if you've ever marched or where you have marched, but I believe that someone who HAD marched would have had a lot more class than to make comments like these. If you have marched, please don't tell me where, because I don't want to get a bad impression of your corps from your comments.

I hate to make this comparison, but the "lick that started in the contras and ended in the upper sops" is cool, but it sounds to me like a chromatic scale. I don't see how you can bash one corps for playing "warm-up chords", but say it's awesome when another corps plays a chromatic scale. As for the sixteenth note runs, yes they are there, but there aren't a TON of them. They're also not the only corps to have them. As for the box, it was a blind build for half the hornline, not everyone. There are other corps that have similar blind moves that are just as difficult, but I see no mention of them in this review. It's not too hard to see where your bias lies...

Why on earth does the guard HAVE to wear blue? The name of the corps is the Blue Devils, but that doesn't dictate that everything must be blue. Should we change the uniform pants to blue, the shakos to blue, the plumes to blue, the gloves to blue, make them put on blue face paint? Then they can be Blue Man Group! Personally I think the color of the guard's uniforms compliments the blue and black very well and gives a good tone to the show. The amps were not the size of industrial refrigerators, please... And you forgot to mention that Vanguard had amp racks too. As for the hornline not playing in the opener, nothing could be further from the truth! According to my 2006 CD, the opener is 5:17, and the hornline begins playing in full at 1:20. That's unfortunate that you were too busy coming up with criticisms that you missed an incredible four minutes of great brass playing. What's the big deal about moving the drum solo from 3/4 of the way through the show to the opening? The Blue Devils did a similar thing in 2003, when they placed first. I'm sorry you couldn't see the drill forms as clearly, but that is due to the crappy high school stadiums in Bakersfield (I live there, so I'm allowed to criticize :) ). If the show had been held at Bakersfield High School or Bakersfield College the drill forms from ALL CORPS would have been much more readable because of the height of the stadium. I'm sorry that you're not "buying it", but I am and most of the fans are.

All in all, this was a very derogatory review and gives a bad rap to all the corps that attended the show. Perhaps next time you decide to review a show, you could comment on all the positive things a corps is doing rather than all the negatives. Also, your bias towards certain corps was very apparent in your absence of criticism, many of which were present in your favorite corps too.

All in all I respect your opinion, but this was a very badly written review.

Too tired to snip, so......First off, we go through this every year, someone thinks they have the obligation to take the "high road" and point out every "PC" wrong doing just for the sake of easing their own conscience or gaining points with someone or something......enough !!

First off, this is the guys opinion, all valid, all legit, all welcome, and all waited for by all of us. This person took the time to share with us his thoughts on the show, which he did NOT have to do, just like you dont have to do...and quite frankly, you disecting his points while NOT being at the show ?? LOL LOL LOL LOL umm, it doesnt matter what you think you werent even there. Go to a show and post a review, then someone else can ridicule it and try and discredit you......

I respect this persons opinion and take what I want from his review, I thank him for taking the time, and I applaud him for being honest, not worrying about the whines and cries from folks like you !

The bottom line is no matter what he writes good or bad, you trying to discredit him and his thoughts makes you look like a problem, or a sore loser, or whatever you want to insert in this sentence.

Again, we go through this every year and people like you deter folks from putting their thoughts down becuase of armchair/computer oriented rebuttles....

Go see a show, get out there and tell us what you think. We'll respect it, but no more or no less than this person or any person that takes the time to write anything pro or con about what he felt....Its his review, his opinion, his words, and his thoughts, not yours. Not everything, especially in June is all sunshine, loillipops and rainbows, he presented the truth to him. and I thank him.

Enough already.

~G~

If a student gets depressed and loses morale because of a bad review, or even one that tears his group apart... he should immediately stop performing and go into a field that has nothing to do with being judged by the quality you put out.

Oh wait, how can they avoid life?

Any student would be better served to take critique for what it is, opinion. Sometimes it's informed opinion (like a judge that gives you a number, sometimes its a fan's opinion (could very well be informed, could be random, could be biased, etc), sometimes it's just someone holding a grudge and is trying to belittle.

A Review is a review. Its one person's opinion of what they see.

I refuse to prescribe to the thought that youths involved in DCI are *kids* and need to be handheld. They surely didn't when I was teaching them a few years ago, and they haven't needed it in the DCA corps I have instructed.

15-21 are young adults... lots of life lessons being learned, including how to accept and grow from, even the harshest of criticisms

I have no problems with this guy's opinions, but for goodness sake, if you're going to criticize the pit, name the instruments properly!!!!! These groups may not even have been using XYLOPHONES, most groups just use Marimbas and Vibraphones, with maybe one xylo or glockenspiel or set of crotales thrown in for color. You make yourself sound like some inexperienced BAND PARENT when you just call them all "xylophones."

At least call them "keyboards."

No, he just sounds like someone that used the wrong word, no more, no less. You are the one thats trying to make more of it than it is.

~G~

Dude, again...more rhetoric, and self serving bull**** !!! He is not you, and thats the way it is, he isnt required to review the show and write his thoughts the way you feel he should. What nonsesne ! You find his review bad, good, noted. I, and others will not find his review bad. Really all you or anyone can comment on is his style or delivery, not his opinions. What is negative to one may not be to someone else, and trying to strongarm someone into submission, or "quote" all the things you feel are wrong....wellagain, they arent, they are his opinions, and are welcomed here and awaited for, I know I look forward to every review good or "bad" ...criticism is just that, and most know how to handle it read it, take advice from it.......for you to try and silence someone shows issues you may have and thats your problem.

You wrote: "Im not saying you can't report the bad aspects of the shows or the tings you didnt like, but at least try to........." (Ill end it right there) Umm, excuse me, does this person work for you ? Are you his boss ? his father ? his mentor ? etc...??? He'll write any way he feels as long as he doesnt break forum guidelines. Where do you get off thinking you have the right to tell someone how to review a drum corps show ?? LOLLOL

You review the way you want and to each his own.

~G~

Whenever and wherever I've performed -- be it on the field, on stage, or behind a podium -- I'm the first to know if I've given a sub-par performance or if there were problems, etc. To that end, nothing is more insulting than when someone offers me insincere praise just for the sake of being nice. Do I want to hear crass remarks and outright derogatory bashing? Of course not. But neither do I want people to tell me how great I was when I most certainly know I wasn't. Sometimes it's good to hear the truth, even though the truth often hurts.