NY, What Happened?

The Grenadiers horn line where very good!

We tend to forget Avant Garde (another merger), and unfortunately, like Watkins Glen, they could only get so far.

IF anyone has a video, or audio recording of 1978 Express, or any drum sheet music please let me know I would really like to be able to remember that year as my best year in drum corps.

We have the '78 Empire State Express in the Diceman Radio playlist...

Send us an email when you're listening in!

• 1 month later...

What show is it?...

• 2 weeks later...
Northern Thunder

Jun 29 2006, 08:42 AM

Post #13

DCP Veteran

Group: Members

Member No.: 9668

The Apalachin Grenadiers are one of the GREAT stories in drum corps history!!

I bet 90% of people around drum corps today have never even heard of them.

This was brass guru (and later DCI horn judge) Ken Turner's small division corps that did AMAZING things with their brass

in the 1970's.

At the 1972 U.S. Open the Grenadiers were in Class 'B' (division II today), and they actually beat the world champion Anaheim Kingsmen on the brass sheets, despite the fact they had a hornline of fewer than 35 members. The sheets were identical for all divisions there that year.

The Grenadiers were not an open class (division I) corps, but more than held their own with anybody in the horn department.

At the 1974 DCI Championships the Grenadiers finished only 38th placce, but their brass was 14th overall. In '75 the Grenadiers were 32nd at DCI, but their brass took 12th in the musical analysis caption.

The Mello-Dears all-girls corps was also a very successful corps. I can still see those plumed hats!

--------------------

Brian Tolzmann

Drum Corps Information Archives--director 1977-present

Drum Corps World--staff writer 1984-present

Drum Corps News--staff writer 1977-1984

xballplayer21

Jun 29 2006, 09:22 AM

Post #14

DCP Rookie

Member No.: 4475

i also bet that not many people know that kenny turner was a percussion major ---------however-----as memory serves--------he may have only marched in the grenadier drumline a handfull of times-----and while i aged out in 71 i am almost positive that turner wrote the drum charts as well as the brass charts-not entirely positive about that as i was attending school in florida and writing drill for another little remembered corps ----the devil dogs ----also the grenadier legacy lived on for many years --as most of the staff in the 70s were homegrown talent. many of the members of the corp also continued to write and instruct into the 80s and beyond. and hey----those mello dear plumes --------i can still see em too---anytime i want------i married a mello dear baritone player.

Northern Thunder

Jun 29 2006, 09:50 AM

Post #15

DCP Veteran

Member No.: 9668

I first saw the Grenadiers at the 1971 U.S. Open.

So your wife marched in the MelloDears? I used to write to Sue Legge, who was the MelloDears historian.

I've lost track of her, as it's been about 15 years since then. She sent me the complete contest history of the MelloDears.

--------------------

Brian Tolzmann

Drum Corps Information Archives--director 1977-present

Drum Corps World--staff writer 1984-present

Drum Corps News--staff writer 1977-1984

xballplayer21

Jun 29 2006, 11:15 AM

Post #16

DCP Rookie

i think sue still lives in the owego ny area---saw her 2 years ago in allentown. and yes my wife was a mellodear---we managed to produce a couple drummers and a horn player-----so---we have never been far from the activity--many of our oldest and dearest friends come from either the grennies or mellodears-----makes for some interesting debates at parties------u see ----back in the day-----the two corps had a healthy dislike for each other---drum corp wise that is. i mean we werent stupid----they were girls and we sure did like girls.

markdewine

Jun 29 2006, 11:39 AM

Post #17

DCP Veteran

Member No.: 14955

I too, married a Mello-Dear.....the former Colleen Burch. (Lucky me )

--------------------

"NO PRISONERS!!!"-T.E. Lawrence(Lawrence of Arabia)

xballplayer21

Jun 29 2006, 11:50 AM

Post #18

DCP Rookie

hey i know colleen-----was a friend of her late parents. and as i recall---shes a pretty fair drummer-----i married jody green---lucky her-------lol

KeithHall

Jun 29 2006, 01:39 PM

Post #19

DCP Fanatic

Member No.: 6015

Grenadiers had a real nice corps and YES their horn line was very good. Pith helmets, red tops and blue pants, right? I remember 2 things....1. A bass drummer had a bell on top of his drum and 2. They played a march and three bari's came across the field with a high pony step.

Former Grennie here (let's leave the Grubadier bit outta this!).. who blushed with pride reading the above comments. So few people remember our small but mighty horn line (of which I was a mellophone).

my sister - a Mello-dear, then later, Grenadier.

That is an excellent read, thanks for sharing! It certainly brought back some good memories for me. It's kind of ironic as I traveled back to upstate NY (Verona) for my 30th class reunion this past summer and had many of the same thoughts. We spent a night in the Finger Lakes region with a friend I marched with in the Schaumburg Guardsmen. She had marched with the Watkins Glen Squires before our trip out west.

My cousin was the original drum major of the Verona Eagles. I couldn't pull myself away from marching with the Ridgerunners for what was at the time a start-up corps, even though they were in my home town.

• 13 years later...
  • 2 months later...