Santa Clara will win DCI

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure that SCV will win it all, but I don't think it's as far-fetched as some people seem to think it is...if you only poll people who've actually seen them live, then I think the consensus is they've got the goods...

go see em and find out for yourself...

Keeping in mind that I was not there, but from what I have heard, SCV didn't finish 7th in 1980 because they were "worse" than they ever have been... it had more to do with the design of their show that year, and in that it went against much of what DCI had (to that point) been all about. Anyone out there up for giving us a history lesson to confirm or refute this?

People use that lame, tired excuse all the time. Did an asymmetrical drill hurt Garfield in 1982? Let's see: they went 8th in appearance order and received the top score in Visual Analysis (7.9 out of 8). They also received a 9.9 out of 10 in GE Visual, winning that number. They finished 2nd in brass, as well.

SCV was 8th in 1980 because they didn't play well, and they didn't drum well. Ironically, their best numbers came in the visual captions, so the assymetry they "boldly forged" isn't really the issue.

I for one just want to see SCV do a lot better this summer. One of my favourite corps. A very classy organisation

From what I can tell, from scores and phone calls from my buddy at SCV, the corps is going end up closer to what they deserve this year.

It would be cool to see this show win! It would be cool to see them get clean enough to win too! The foundation/design is there, but the execution is not right now. Give them time and I think they will get past BD. I'm not sure about Cavies, Cadets, Blooooooooo, or PR. Woa! This is a really cool year. Thanks SCV for coming back strong!

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but are you saying you've got BD in 5th? :grrr: Not sure the scores reflect that...even this early in the season.

after seeing them last night (and all biases aside), once SCV can perform their show at the same level BD performs their show, SCV will have a higher score due to the much better design from beginning to end.

however...shows do change mid-season so we can never really tell right now. And...you cant judge anyone until they meet up. But i will say that they will be very competitive with the product they have.

People use that lame, tired excuse all the time. Did an asymmetrical drill hurt Garfield in 1982? Let's see: they went 8th in appearance order and received the top score in Visual Analysis (7.9 out of 8). They also received a 9.9 out of 10 in GE Visual, winning that number. They finished 2nd in brass, as well.

SCV was 8th in 1980 because they didn't play well, and they didn't drum well. Ironically, their best numbers came in the visual captions, so the assymetry they "boldly forged" isn't really the issue.

1. SCV was 7th in 80. Then again, only 5 pts separed the top 7. It was a very tight year.

2. Yes, they did in fact "clean house" i.e., overhaul most of their staff between 80 and 81.

3. As a matter of fact, they did play well - hornwise anyway. probably their best brass performance up to that point. Credit Jim Elvord.

4. A LOT changed between 1980 and 1982. BTW, Madison had asym. drill in 1981. Didn't hurt us either. In fact, I think a lot of corps started using it in 81. E.g. Cavaliers with the horns stepping over the CG during Softly as I Leave U. Check it out.