SCV TEASER

Over time I wouldn't classify "dark" as being a normal type of show for Santa Clara

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'87 certainly wasn't dark

I can now sigh a huge sigh of hope and thanksgiving. As just one SCV short-timer and fan, I think the show is great, and I'm sooooo relieved.

I think the book this year is pretty refreshing

It's a piece that wouldn't sound "right" with any other ensemble (it's made for brass & drums, I mean)

It doesn't sound like a (fill in the blank - wind ensemble/orchestra/big band) piece that's been mangled to fit corps

it certainly doesn't cry out for woodwinds (oy)

or vocals (other than OUR part, of course - I can't wait)

It hits all the SCV high points content-wise, as far as I've seen/heard

I like the uni's

the dark wood drums look deep and rich - nice

It's hard corps

regardless of placement (which as far as I'm concerned, has been highly subjective for quite some time now), Jeff (hey section leader!) and the rest of the organization have done exactly what they needed to do to make this a successful year: they've come out with a strong confident show that says S-C-V loud and clear. It's a show that seems like both an organic extension of the tradition and a fresh start. Part of the reason we still care after alllllllllll these years, is that (as we all know) it's about so much more than the score. As far as I'm concerned, the staff have given the kids a great vehicle and now the kids have the opportunity to show how much heart they have. A huge gift! (a universal to all corps, I know, but after last year - a huge gift!)

I can now sigh a huge sigh of hope and thanksgiving. As just one SCV short-timer and fan, I think the show is great, and I'm sooooo relieved.

I think the book this year is pretty refreshing

It's a piece that wouldn't sound "right" with any other ensemble (it's made for brass & drums, I mean)

It doesn't sound like a (fill in the blank - wind ensemble/orchestra/big band) piece that's been mangled to fit corps

it certainly doesn't cry out for woodwinds (oy)

or vocals (other than OUR part, of course - I can't wait)

It hits all the SCV high points content-wise, as far as I've seen/heard

I like the uni's

the dark wood drums look deep and rich - nice

It's hard corps

regardless of placement (which as far as I'm concerned, has been highly subjective for quite some time now), Jeff (hey section leader!) and the rest of the organization have done exactly what they needed to do to make this a successful year: they've come out with a strong confident show that says S-C-V loud and clear. It's a show that seems like both an organic extension of the tradition and a fresh start. Part of the reason we still care after alllllllllll these years, is that (as we all know) it's about so much more than the score. As far as I'm concerned, the staff have given the kids a great vehicle and now the kids have the opportunity to show how much heart they have. A huge gift! (a universal to all corps, I know, but after last year - a huge gift!)

word.

This is looking a LOT more like the Vanguard we all know and love. The movement book, in particular, is quite a step up from last year. After a couple of times watching this, though, I see a couple of things they could "adjust" pretty quickly and easily to improve an already great opener. First, they could get some extra "WOW factor" mileage out of that great "building block" form move by floating (or floating & expanding, or floating and rotating) the set toward the center the moment they lock it in, rather than coming to a halt (I mean, the show IS called Moto Perpetuo, after all; it's too early at this point in the show to stop!) I think that would really stir the crowd to a standing O. This would also help correct a second problem I see with the opening movement work - it stays on the left side of the field WAY too long. If they used that one moment to pull everything back toward the center, then the subsequent movement work wouldn't seem so weighted toward the one side of the field for so long.

Overall, though I thought it looked and sounded great - yeah, it's still early-season-sloppy just yet, but I certainly think it should be rating higher than 4 points back from Blue Devils.

Woohoo! Lovin' it!!!

Get it together colorguard...

...their bbaaaaccckkk!

Thats Grade A Key Poulan right there....best of luck to the Vanguard this year. Can't wait for Atlanta!