The Bluecoats are going to Win DCI this year.

1. What "common" tour meal do you miss the most?

2. What "special occasion" meal was the best you ever had?

1. Back in Tarheel, I enjoyed the various pasta dishes Papa Screech came up with.

2. Taco in a Bag! :)

Anyone remember Bobo peanut butter? :blink:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, Hefty...you totally quoted my post and apparently didn't even read it, I guess. Ridding the corps of Bobo was CLEARLY pointed out as one of the reasons why we will win. :blink:

But I can't stay mad at you, oh sage of inappropriate jokes...

First of all, I haven't been to this site in almost a year. I am one of the charter members from 2002, when George Dixon still ran the site. It is good to be back! :)

While I certainly think the Bluecoats will continue to build on last year's success and I DO think they could surpass Santa Clara Vanguard, the Cavaliers are no doubt aware that the Bluecoats are breathing down their necks. Judging from the looks of things right now, while the margins are razor thin, I think the Cadets will do everything they can to finish out the season in the top 3. And Blue Devils will continue to lead.

I am interested in seeing what happens when you add Seattle Cascades, Crossmen, and Troopers to the mix of the lower-echelon corps (not that that's an insult, given how competitive the activity has become). And I would love to see the Colts back in finals.

Bluecoats' show design and execution has certainly improved markedly just in the past four years when the championships were last held in Madison (I was there!). Of course, Boston Crusaders were in fifth place and Madison Scouts missed finals for the first time since 1972. Seattle Cascades and Magic of Orlando were in 12th and 11th respectively. It was a weird year.

But this is not 2002. Bluecoats will definitely finish in the top 5, as they did last year. Maybe 4th unless the Cavaliers run out of steam and the Bluecoats gain more and more momentum. But a title? Not this year and I don't see it happening in the forseeable future. The powerhouses are just too good.

My two pesos.

Jon

Jon...Troop (and KK) aren't putting active units on the field this year.

See what happens when you don't post or visit for nine months? :P

I am guessing that they are on their way to insolvency. Is that right? That is usually why corps have not fielded a corps in a given year. I know The Magic were hurting financially a few years ago and underwent some huge staff changes. I don't know if they will ever really recover. I think this just goes to show that when corps make the transition to Division I, the board of directors need to consider the financial picture of aspiring corps because too many great corps have gone under in the past. And finances are just one of many considerations that the board look at when given the yea or nay to corps looking to move up.

The Troopers could have not only financial issues but recruitment ones as well. They have fielded a very young corps for some time and well, Casper isn't located in a hotbed of drum corps activity and is still a way from Denver (Blue Knights). I would think that their members come largely from WY.

Jon

The biggest gaps on the recaps to Cavies has been in GE. Stronger programs produce better GE after they are cleaner than do programs that score better in GE early season.

Really? Might want to let the past 5 World Champions since they all broke 30 in GE by their second show (I suspect the trend goes back further, but I couldn't find recaps for further back than 01). If anything you want your GE score to be higher than your performance score. It's a lot harder to redesign a show to add more GE than it is to play better.

Patti (HBIC) and I will be there....we made it official today (made our travel plans to Madison and back). I will not be at the BBQ though (too much $$$ opportunities that week).

DW

Ah, yeah, I'm here! My first post! I will be in Madison. I'm riding the buses! YIKES. I can't wait to meet all of you crazy Blue alumns. How about coming to the BlueBQ in Allentown too on 8/3? Check out the Bluecoats forum for more info!

Which might explain why retooling thirty pages of drill through the middle of the season might not always pay off, right? Why not change it instead of just cleaning it up?

What I don't understand is the idea that GE and Performance are somehow separate universes. If your visual and music performance scores aren't good, how can that possibly help your GE since isn't GE not only about design but how well you "sell" your show to the judges and audience?

Which might explain why retooling thirty pages of drill through the middle of the season might not always pay off, right? Why not change it instead of just cleaning it up?

What I don't understand is the idea that GE and Performance are somehow separate universes. If your visual and music performance scores aren't good, how can that possibly help your GE since isn't GE not only about design but how well you "sell" your show to the judges and audience?

Shows that are well designed will get credit for that design in GE captions while it is still dirty and not scoring as well in performance captions. Cleaning it up will obviously help your GE scores, but not as much as a well designed show.

You could have the best design and concept in the world but if it's dirty, whether early or late in the season, why are people more "forgiving?" Is it because corps try to "push the envelope" at the expense of execution?

Of course, if you want a show that was not only poorly designed AND poorly executed (mostly poorly executed), I can think of one off the top of my head 'cause I saw it LIVE in Madison:

2002 Madison Scouts (14th place)

(Sorry, Scouts fans and alumni)

Edited by jlhiatt