Birmingham Scores

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A well done Cadets show with narraton <**> amped singing <**> a lackluster drum feature <**> and a hornline that doesn't get to shine <**> .

Thanks, but no thanks.

The talent is :laugh: but the execution is <**> .

Edited by SF2K4

A well done Cadets show with narraton <**> amped singing <**> a lackluster drum feature <**> and a hornline that doesn't get to shine <**> .

Thanks, but no thanks.

It is obvious that you have no musical intelligence. The Cadets hornline has a plethora of opportunities to shine. They are shining in almost every single moment they are playing. They have wonderful balance and blen, great versatility, a good dynamic range, and awesome virtuosity on their instruments. Also, the percussion line is one of the best in the world and is featured quite well.

Oh no! Some members of The Cadets said something and sang and it was made louder by an amp. Oh my God! That must make it a bad show. Certainly less enjoyable than Southwind.

What? I couldn't hear the sound of your amazing hornline over the sound of a TEA PARTY. You don't get it, do you? You want us all to love the Cadets simply because they're talented. NO ONE is disputing that they are! You know why I don't like the show? Because narration is stupid. It sounds stupid, it's a stupid idea, and it detracts from what I go to drum corps to see: brass, percussion, and guard. Yes, it does make it less enjoyable. I don't find any form of narration enjoyable, never have. BAC 2004? BD 05? Cadets 06? Never changes, still doesn't sound good and still makes the show worse. And I'm all for singing, but for God's sake, this isn't American Idol ######! I didn't come to listen to vocals, I came to listen to an amazing hornline and percussion section. Oh, they're there, you say? Behind the vocals? And I'm just to musically declined to notice? Well guess what? Personally, I think I shouldn't have to strain to notice the talent of the hornline because, and maybe I'm totally off base, but isn't that what this activity is all about? Brass, guard, and percussion? I mean, excuse me for assuming that 72 people on the field may have more important things to do than be background music for some pop star.

You're obviously just trolling, which is very sad, but this whole attitude you present is ignorant. Just because someone or a group is good doesn't mean they use their talent well. Look at the Yankees. Had probably the best pool of talent the past few years thanks to oodles of money, and guess what? They suck. Point? It's not WHAT you have, it's what you DO with what you have... and quite frankly, what Southwind is doing with that they have is more entertaining than what the Cadets are doing with what they have.

OK, OK. I understand now. Before now, I had never realized that some people may find horrible show design, nasty intonation, and terrible execution to be more enjoyable than a well-done Cadets show. My B.

Sometimes a " well done " steak can seem overcooked to some and undercooked to others. You come off a little intolerant of other people's personal tastes. I've enjoyed lots of Cadets shows over the years. 2005 was not one of them. Doesn't mean they should not have won. They were good. But their show theme seemed incoherent to lots of people and the integration of their musical and visual components seemed disjointed to this poster despite the fact the judges felt differently. I'll reserve judgement on Part Deux of their 2005 theme used here again in 2006 until I've seen them.

Edited by X DM

What? I couldn't hear the sound of your amazing hornline over the sound of a TEA PARTY. You don't get it, do you? You want us all to love the Cadets simply because they're talented. NO ONE is disputing that they are! You know why I don't like the show? Because narration is stupid. It sounds stupid, it's a stupid idea, and it detracts from what I go to drum corps to see: brass, percussion, and guard. Yes, it does make it less enjoyable. I don't find any form of narration enjoyable, never have. BAC 2004? BD 05? Cadets 06? Never changes, still doesn't sound good and still makes the show worse. And I'm all for singing, but for God's sake, this isn't American Idol ######! I didn't come to listen to vocals, I came to listen to an amazing hornline and percussion section. Oh, they're there, you say? Behind the vocals? And I'm just to musically declined to notice? Well guess what? Personally, I think I shouldn't have to strain to notice the talent of the hornline because, and maybe I'm totally off base, but isn't that what this activity is all about? Brass, guard, and percussion? I mean, excuse me for assuming that 72 people on the field may have more important things to do than be background music for some pop star.

You're obviously just trolling, which is very sad, but this whole attitude you present is ignorant. Just because someone or a group is good doesn't mean they use their talent well. Look at the Yankees. Had probably the best pool of talent the past few years thanks to oodles of money, and guess what? They suck. Point? It's not WHAT you have, it's what you DO with what you have... and quite frankly, what Southwind is doing with that they have is more entertaining than what the Cadets are doing with what they have.

Not trying to split hairs, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but the tea party is during the percussion break. The reason you can't hear the horns there is because they aren't playing. In fact, I believe that the only time the hornline is playing at the same time as vocals is during the ballad. Also, during the percussion feature there aren't any vocals that I remember during any actual playing, it's all in the rests. The only place that you could possibly consider that has vocals "over" anything is the ballad. If you are so caught up in the few places with vocals that you can't hear the hornline and drumline then ok, but its not because the vocals are OVER anything (again, that excludes the ballad). The reason some people get defensive is because of your use of hyperbole. Does that warrant some of the replies you've gotten? Certainly not. I'm pretty sure that the members of the Cadets know that there will be plenty of people who don't care for certain aspects of their show, they don't need people getting overly defensive on their behalf because it just feeds the mentality that some people on here have of the "borg"

I think that a lot of people on here need a lot thicker skin when it comes to their favorite corps. For every show there are people who are going to love it and there are people who are going to hate it, and both kinds are perfectly entitled to their opinions, and both will state their opinions on DCP because thats what it is here for. It's when people start getting defensive and thinking their opinion is the right one and everyone else is wrong that the forums go to ####. If someone posts something that you don't agree with, feel free to respond with something like "Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but here is what I think and why I think it." It would certainly be a much more pleasant place to read if that was the case.

So in summary, for those of you who read a post and get horribly offended and feel the need to insult the poster because of it, STOP, take a deep breath, think about what you are about to post, and then just don't post it :P

I think that a lot of people on here need a lot thicker skin when it comes to their favorite corps.

The corallary to that is that a lot of people need to not become overly offensive towards corps they don't like as well. You can get your point across without being purposefully hostile, and people are more likely to listen to what you have to say when you aren't trying to be offensive.

The "over the sound of your TEA PARTY" bit was just for humor :P .

But my point was that the show seems to rely heavily on narration and vocals when what I want to hear is the hornline and battery. That's the point I was trying to make.

Man, drum corps adds so much drama to my life :P .

The "over the sound of your TEA PARTY" bit was just for humor :P .

But my point was that the show seems to rely heavily on narration and vocals when what I want to hear is the hornline and battery. That's the point I was trying to make.

Man, drum corps adds so much drama to my life :P .

and my point was that you are entitled to that opinion just as much as I'm entitled to the opinion that the show doesn't rely as heavily on narration and vocals as you make it out to. Yes, they are there, and yes they are a substantial portion of the show, and no I don't think that they are all the greatest thing ever put on a football field, but the sum of the narration is about 8 short sentences and I think the singing fits very well.

I haven't timed it, but I would say that singing excluded the total amount of vocals to this years show are less than last years. Quite a bit less now that I think about it