Themed Shows

I was looking at corps who have played music from theatre and films and it is a pure recipe for success

you tell me if i am wrong ??

Cadets 84, west side Story 1st place

Santa Clara 89, Phantom of the Opera 1st place

Blue Devils 98, Romeo and Juliet and West Side Story 1st Place

Cavaliers 2004, 007 1st place

I dare say I have missed other corps of but it goes to prove that film and theatre shows are a success with the crowd and judges

most drum corps shows DO have stories behind them now.

That's just one thing that comes with change... I applaud the Blue Knights for trying to be all about the music, but I think it could hurt them in the long run (flame suit on.)

I think that you're saying that corps who have totally evident storylines win... like romeo and juliet, west side story, and so on... if so, then I disagree.

Phantom Regiment had two shows back in the early 80's (81 and 82) that were based around the central story of Spartacus... they got 5th and 4th repsectively.

Also, SCV 88 did Phantom of the Opera, and came in 2nd.

88 Phantom, Romeo and Juliet... 6th place. 91 Phantom played Phantom Voices, in which they used Nessun Dorma, Pagliacci, and Bacchanale... all of them are opera shows, yet Phantom still got 3rd.

Madison 05, and SCV 90 played Carmen... 6th and 4th.

SCV played Miss Saigon in 91, and got 4th.

Point in Case: I could go on for a while listing shows that had an obvious story line, but still didn't win (in many cases didn't get top 3.)

~>conner

I dare say I have missed other corps of but it goes to prove that film and theatre shows are a success with the crowd and judges

No championship for them in 1998, solely Cadets that year.

1997, however, featured music from As Time Goes By, Casablanca, and the musical Chess

I was looking at corps who have played music from theatre and films and it is a pure recipe for success

you tell me if i am wrong ??

Cadets 84, west side Story 1st place

Santa Clara 89, Phantom of the Opera 1st place

Cavaliers 2004, 007 1st place

Well, define a "theme." Garfield 1985: "A Bernstein Portrait." Is that any more/less thematic than "One Hand, One Heart?" (BD '94) Cadets used only "Stonehedge" in 1998 to win. Theme?

1988: Madison's "non-theme" versus SCV's POTO. bzzzzzzz

Phantom's 1996 "Whatever Cesario Dreamed Up for a Really Long, Meaningless Title." Theme?

Crown's 2006: "In.stink.y" or whatever it's called. Is that a theme, or is it putting makeup on a sow (or painting the peacock)?

Interesting question which brings up more questions.

Well, define a "theme." Garfield 1985: "A Bernstein Portrait." Is that any more/less thematic than "One Hand, One Heart?" (BD '94) Cadets used only "Stonehedge" in 1998 to win. Theme?

1988: Madison's "non-theme" versus SCV's POTO. bzzzzzzz

Phantom's 1996 "Whatever Cesario Dreamed Up for a Really Long, Meaningless Title." Theme?

Crown's 2006: "In.stink.y" or whatever it's called. Is that a theme, or is it putting makeup on a sow (or painting the peacock)?

Interesting question which brings up more questions.

Yes, questions like, "what are you smokin, dude?"

Garfield 1990 was A Bernstein Celebration. Garfield 1985 -- while all Bernstein music -- had no title. It was just Jeremiah and selections from Candide.

And "Defiant Heart" was a "really long meaningless title?"

Edited by ScribeToo

Yes, questions like, "what are you smokin, dude?"

Garfield 1990 was A Bernstein Celebration. Garfield 1985 -- while all Bernstein music -- had no title. It was just Jeremiah and selections from Candide.

And "Defiant Heart" was a "really long meaningless title?"

I remember 1985 Garfield did in fact have a title. Was is A "Bernstein Portrait"?

I remember 1985 Garfield did in fact have a title. Was is A "Bernstein Portrait"?

I didn't recall there being a title so I doublechecked on Corpsreps -- they list other years with titles.. not 85.

The best corps wins. The best show wins. Most importantly (in my experience) the best staff wins.

Whether it is a theme (Godfather)

or a title (Machine)

or a manufactured string of words (In.Trance.It).

This is relatively recent.

Until theme/titled shows became the schizznit, noone had a title unless they based their show on a musical. When I taught SCV, in 1986 and 1987, our shows had no title - noone's show did.