Completely Comprehensive Powder Springs Review

Venue: Atlanta Brass Classic

Date: June 23, 2006

Let me start off by saying this won’t be a conventional review. There are plenty of others on this very message board, so why bore you? I hope to give you guys some insight you might not get from other reviews…so here goes. Forgive me for the errors, It was 1:36 AM after the show when I started this and 4:12 when I finished. Now that’s dedication.

Little bit of background about me before we begin: I'm 17 years old (a guy) and played clarinet in my high school's marching band for four years (Lassiter High School, if you're wondering). I love drum corps and never want to see it include woodwinds in any way, shape or form. I'm just a fan though, as I obviously have never marched.

First I’ll give my initial impressions of the corps and their performance. Then I’ll grade each corps by this…what I thought about how the show was performed, regardless of how it was designed. Next I’ll share how I thought the show was from a design standpoint, regardless of how it was performed. Moving on I’ll add what needs to be fixed about the show from both viewpoints. Here’s where it gets interesting. Though drum corps has many different facets, there are about twenty or so aspects I look for when I determine how great a show a show truly will be come finals night, so I’ll say which requirements the show met and give it a “requirement rating.” Next explain how the audience around me reacted to the show, and basically how the show will be perceived by the general DCI-viewing public. And finally, I’ll give the show a letter grade based on its potential for the performance and design to improve by finals, and then a letter grade for the performance tonight.

A note on the ratings first off: I’m rating the shows compared to every other drum corps show I’ve seen. My favorite shows, Cadets 2000 and Santa Clara Vanguard 1989, would receive an A+ on this scale, and I’ll be rating accordingly.

Actually though, let me begin by talking about the venue. McEachern is a great place for drum corps, excellent facilities, food, and great layout. It’s just a place you can go at the beginning of the season and have that warm feeling in your heart seeing everyone there, just like you, for the activity you love. I went with a friend, a fellow drum corps fan, and we had seats close to the top on the north 45 yardline—couldn’t have been much better. Very comfortable seating as well. Behind me was a Spirit alum and his two young sons—in front two middle-aged couples from which I could tell the husband had been involved with drum corps. The bandos seemed to have stayed home as the Cavaliers were not at this competition, so I was mainly surrounded with drum corps fans—always a plus.

Now, on to the shows.

Corpsvets

Since they were in exhibition, I won’t do an in-depth analysis. This was a great show and seemed to be designed very well for the performers. It was short, but I don’t think that was the full show. They are MUCH improved from last year, both design- and performance-wise. Great visual program that is just right for them, performed solidly. The members seem to really be “selling the show” and exhibit a confidence unseen from them by me.

Overall rating: D+

Let me take this time to mention my “requirements” as mentioned before. They are, in no particular order:

1. Melodic, coherent writing

2. Complexity of music

3. Maturity of music

4. Originality

5. Volume

Excitement

6. Power

7. Goosebumps

8. Tears

9. Beauty

10. Lushness

11. Emotion-arising capability

12. Captivating ability (genuinely WANTING to watch the show and wanting to see what’s next)

13. Maturity of design

14. Fullness and richness of overall product

15. “Big”ness (you KNOW when a show is “big”…will it stand out from the rest of their productions?)

16. Memorability

17. Worthiness (will it stand against the best drum corps shows of all time)

18. Nuance

19. Polish

And most importantly

20. Complete corps-audience connectivity (is EVERYTHING the corps performs what the audience WANTS to hear and see? Are the corps and the audience on the “same side,” or does it feel like the corps is going AGAINST the audience? Will the audience clap politely for the corps or clap as a way of expressing how they feel? Will the corps lift the entire audience to their feet at the end of the show…before it even ends?)

Teal Sound

Intial Impressions: They did what they needed to—show exactly the difference between senior corps and junior corps. They had that “drum corps sound” right off the bat, that sound that puts you in another world and is like any other sound you’ve heard before. I was looking forward to seeing where this show was going.

Performance: Exceeded my expectations. Imagine my surprise when I saw these kids in the stands after the show and figured out they were primarily high-schoolers. This did NOT show on the field…they do the drum corps activity justice, and their youth isn’t made readily apparent in the least bit. These kids deserve a LOT of credit for doing what they’re doing. Yes, there were definite ensemble issues, but it seems like these kids are being taught well and are heading in the right direction. Visual I would not expect too much more from such a group, VERY impressive. Issues? Of course. Nothing that can’t cleaned up, though, to make for a great performance.

Design: This show just screamed, “Great coherent, melodic writing.” No, I wasn’t aware of any of the pieces, or a theme, but the show just “made sense” to me. It’s a greatly designed product for the kids, and I approve. The show was entertaining and definitely representative of drum corps.

Needs to be fixed: Not much. The kids need to keep at it and keep doing what they’re doing.

Requirements (met requirements are in bold):

Melodic, coherent writing

Complexity of music

Maturity of music

Originality

Volume

Excitement

Goosebumps

Tears

Beauty

Lushness

Effectiveness of drill

Emotion-arising capability

Captivating ability

Maturity of design

Fullness and richness of overall product

“Big”ness

Memorability

Worthiness

Nuance

Polish

Complete corps-audience connectivity

Requirement Rating: C+ (10/20)

Audience Reaction: They dug it, and understood it, and approved.

Potential Rating: B-

Actual Rating: C-

Final words: Great show!

Magic

Intial Impressions: Love the uniform. Expected to “wow” me from the beginning than Teal Sound; they did not, and I was disappointed. THE DRUM LINE IS SICK. Viewing them warming up they were the real deal. These kids are for real.

Performance: Adequate but underwhelming…even scored on the same sheets I would but them behind Teal Sound. They have very loose control of the ensemble and have not really met that characteristic drum corps sound nor are approaching it. The effort is totally there, though and with help they can grow to new heights. Sound is way-too trumpet heavy and frankly, quite harsh. Enormous potential in this group, however. Excellent soloists as well.

Design: Immature. “Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring” is taken completely out of context and completely lacked in originality, more “tarnished” than “rearranged.” The theme seems like a gimmick, it’s ineffective in portraying “Joy.” There were aspects of the design I enjoyed, though, though the source material was limited the opener was arranged quite well and flowed, it was ust ineffective. Ballad was very enjoyable, voiced well and does what it needs to. “Chaos” was just a waste. This piece is done, over with, kaput, and has no business in being in a DCI show until the ‘30s or ‘40s. Show designers must take into account other corps’ shows when designing their own. Unfortunately, this piece did not work within the context and the arrangement left a lot to be desired…most importantly it dropped the originality and maturity of this show. The last number was very well done, however, and brought the show to a great finish.

Needs to be fixed: Ensemble needs be built from scratch; members need to “sell” the show and gain confidence.

Complexity of music

Maturity of music

Originality

Volume

Excitement

Effectiveness of drill

Goosebumps

Tears

Beauty

Lushness

Captivating ability

Maturity of design

“Big”ness

Memorability

Worthiness

Nuance

Polish

Requirement Rating: F (6/20)

Audience Reaction: Loved the drumline.

Potential Rating: C-

Actual Rating: F+

Final words: Members need a better product to work with.

Southwind

Initial Impressions: Kid behind me (around 7 years old) says, “Well Dad, I guess Southwind ‘gets the point’!” Laughed literally for 30 seconds. Audience seemed unfamiliar with the corps….having not seen them live I didn’t know what to expect.

Performance: Again, like Magic, too trumpet heavy. Their blend is better, though, and it’s more characteristically “drum corps.” Closer in achieving the true drum corps “it’s unlike anything else, and it’s amazing” sound (you all know what I’m talking about). Confident visual performance.

Design: It works to an extent. Not original in the least bit, but at least in this case the source music is used quite effectively. Also from a design perspective the show represented the theme of duality very well and some VERY creative things were done on the field. Claire de Lune, however, was not represented will and the arrangement didn’t seem to fit well into the show…Phantom 1994 pretty much put this piece to rest, this show tried to represent it in the same light and did not do nearly as good as a job. Enjoyable, however. Visual design is very satisfying and works with the entire show. The designers tried hard with this one, and got many things right. Overall pretty good.

Needs to be fixed: Clean up the ensemble.

Complexity of music

Maturity of music

Originality

Volume

Excitement

Power

Goosebumps

Tears

Beauty

Lushness

Captivating ability

Maturity of design

“Big”ness

Memorability

Worthiness

Nuance

Polish

Requirement Rating: D (9/20)

Audience Reaction: Loved the drumline.

Potential Rating: C+

Actual Rating: D+

Final words: Nice job, I look forward to seeing this show again.

Boston Crusaders

Initial Impressions: After intermission (and $4 poorer) I was ready for the “big boys.” I expected a lot from Boston. Uniform is great and the corps has great field presence.

Performance: They sold it! The corps is sounding great and they know what to do. Boston has a much better product than last year and the kids know it; they are getting into the show and taking it to the next level. Some issues need to be resolved but they are on an EXCELLENT track. Way to go! Members are confident and show you that they know how to march and play.

Design: First maturely designed program of the night. The staff really thought this one out, and it shows. Flows well, arranged well, great all around! The musical design of the program was VERY satisfying and I witnessed a great musical performance throughout. Unfortunately, I don’t understand the theme of this show or how it is represented with the music and drill, which could be considered a design flaw, though perhaps it’s up to personal interpretation. Visual design is a HUGE step above last year and incredibly enjoyable. This is most definitely the best designed Boston show since 2000 by far. Nice!

Needs to be fixed: Just keep doing what you’ve been doing!

Complexity of music

Maturity of music

Originality

Volume

Excitement

Power

Goosebumps

Tears

Beauty

Lushness

Captivating ability

Maturity of design

“Big”ness

Memorability

Worthiness

Nuance

Polish

Requirement Rating: B- (13/20)

Audience Reaction: Excellent performance.

Potential Rating: B

Actual Rating: C+

Final words: My expectations were exceeded. Loved the show!

Cadets

Initial Impressions: Excited, trying to stay open-minded, but aware that there would be aspects of this show that did not fall within the drum corps idiom and would ruin an otherwise amazing product. Uniform backs are nonsensical and mock tradition. Way too many props, took too long to enter the field

Performance: There was no question. The Cadets were on fire tonight and were clearly the best performing group tonight. This is best June drum corps can sound, and boy did they sound amazing. Blew me back into my seat, made me want to stand up and scream. The demand on them is insane and I see only minor flaws (for June, of course). They tore the field apart as well marching-wise. Some minor tears in the ensemble, need to try harder to stay together, but they know exactly what they’re doing. They are the Cadets, after all.

Design: Whoops. Jay Bocook has written a masterful, wonderful brass book full of excitement, and the Cadets drumline is performing the greatest stuff they have in a long time. Unfortunately, all of this material is ruined and cannot be enjoyed. The show as a whole has so may repulsive elements that its merits are fore more easily overlooked. The opening segment with the drill from last year’s show WOULD have been will done…if there was not a singer singing a ROCK AND ROLL chart. Instead of paying attention to the show, everyone in the audience is wondering why someone is singing. She is completely distracting, adds nothing to the show, and takes much away. I’ll said it before and I’ll say it again: every single millisecond the members produce needs to be able to be applauded. When the opening segment was done, people didn’t know what to do. I mean, anyone can sing, and the segment wasn’t entirely impressive. The man in front of me shouted, “NOT DRUM CORPS!” and I agree. It wasn’t. The opener, on the other hand, was amazing. Spectacular. INCREDIBLY written…Jay Bocook is a genius. It doesn’t get much better than this, guys. This was the highlight of their show. It was fast, loud, melodic, and completely awesome. There were no vocals to be heard. The next feature, the percussion feature, was the worst production I’ve ever seen in drum corps in my entire life. Yet I witnessed the most amazing percussion production in the world. Guess what? It’s ruined. Completely and utterly ruined, peed upon, if you will. Characters talk back and forth with nonsensical statements that MOCK and RIDICULE the performance aspect of the show. The thing is, these statements don’t make sense. A male guard member exclaims, “I swallowed that two hours ago.” I have no idea what this means, nor did a single person in the audience. (Frankly, I have no desire to hear about a male guard member “swallowing” anything, if you catch my drift.) NO ONE got was going on and everyone was wondering why a great feature was being ruined. NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR CHARACTERS TALK IN A DRUM CORPS SHOW. It’s adding something completely foreign, annoying , CHEESY, and just plain STUPID. The ballad was completely beautiful until the singer came in, Best ballad I’ve ever heard, ruined. I come to drum corps competitions to hear drums and bugles. I didn’t. I heard an amateur, averagely talented singer on amplification system. The singing adds nothing to this piece, she completely sticks out and doesn’t blend in at all, and she’s so LOUD. It makes want to cry, because the Cadets have a product that could be AMAZING and for no reason whatsoever they’ve decided to ruin it. And it’s not just me, the majority of audience members feel the same way. I am the HUGEST Cadets fan in the world and I can’t enjoy this show. At all, no matter hard I try. And THAT’S when you know when you’ve ruined the show. I imagined this ballad in my head with the brass only and it was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever heard. However, with the singer, the ballad was terrible, disgusting, horrible at best. The rest of the show was amazing and I loved it, loved Jubilee Games and how the ending from last year crept in. By the way, the story made no sense, and the dialog IN NO WAY helped explain it. What, then, are they there for if they can’t even do THAT? I had no clue what was going on…loved the music the brass and percussion played though.

Needs to be fixed: Remove any sort of vocal performance entirely from the show. This MUST be done in order to give the show any sort of credibility or audience acceptance whatsoever. This show in its current form is the worst drum corps show I’ve seen in my entire life, and close for many people. It has the potential to be the best, most amazing show in the world for so many...incredible shame something like this is going on and I’m deeply saddened.

Complexity of music

Maturity of music

Originality

Volume

Excitement

Power

Goosebumps

Tears

Beauty

Lushness

Captivating ability

Maturity of design

“Big”ness

Memorability

Worthiness

Nuance

Polish

Requirement Rating: C (11/20)

Audience Reaction: Why

Potential Rating: C-

Potential Rating under pre-2004 rules: A+

Actual Rating: D-

Final words: What a waste. Can’t wait till 2007 when the Cadets will wake up from their “dream.”

Phantom Regiment

Initial Impressions: Here. We. Go. This is why I came tonight and paid $25 for good seating. I was on the edge of my seat in anticipation. I had fallen in love with this show from the APD and pretty much memorized it from start to end. This was the first corps from which I knew exactly what to expect and what was coming next, which in my opinion is the most enjoyable way to view a show. Could not WAIT to see this show live. Very classy field entrance.

Performance: Yup. This is drum corps, and who better than Phantom Regiment to show it off? From beginning to end they were on fire: their sound is “almost” there and blends great, just a great ensemble all around. Drumline is the real deal as well. Both the technical and lyrical passages were played with great proficiency, and marching was top-notched. Phantom reminded me why I love drum corps.

Design: Perfect. There, I said it. This show is designed perfectly from beginning to end. The theme is conveyed immaculately, with no need for narration or invasive props, just good old guard acting that we’ve come to know and love. Phantom tells a story through their music, a moving, emotional, heart-wrenching story. The music chosen for this story probably couldn’t have been better. The opener starts out jarring and chaotic and transforms into a huge, awe-inspiring monster. After the very effective pit interlude this piece just keeps going and going until it’s abrupt finish. Great source music, great arrangement. The ballad is beautiful and poignant, and the added baritones are a nice bonus. Incredibly melodic and lush…by far the best ballad of the night. Musical ideas are born and come to fruition, and the entire ballad is just really well done. The Corigliano is just amazing, I love all the licks and it fits incredibly well into the show, and the members are selling it. Like the rest of the show, visual design was incredible. And now the best production on the field tonight: Phantom’s closer. This. Piece. Is. Amazing. Beautiful, lush, melodic chorales progress and progress, and when the baris and mellos hit their climbing fanfares and I was grinning from ear to ear. This show brought out emotions in me never felt before. I was on the edge my seat as the corps faced backfield…Faust was being saved, good was conquering evil…I waited in anticipation as the pit played their segment, just waiting…and then it happened. Like magic, the corps turned around and launched into a final push unlike anything I’ve heard before…what was going on on the field was simply beautiful. Glorious. Amazing. Awe-inspiring. Emotional. And as I was enveloped in this huge sound, I looked at the snareline crabbing across the field and that look in their eyes, and I just lost it. I completely lost it, and started crying tears of joy. This. Is. Drum. Corps. This is why I’m a fan, why I get on DCP and argue my point to no end…it’s shows like these that I want to see for the rest of my life. The corps continued and brought the Faust motif back as a reminder and finished the show with glorious chords. I stood up 10 seconds before the end and started clapping, and only after the corps was completely off the field did I sit down…and wipe my tears.

Needs to be fixed: Drill was slightly dirty,

Complexity of music

Maturity of music

Originality

VolumeExcitement

Power

Goosebumps

Tears

Beauty

Lushness

Captivating ability

Maturity of design

“Big”ness

Memorability

Worthiness

Nuance

Polish

Requirement Rating: A+ (20/20)

Audience Reaction: Speechless.

Potential Rating: A+

Actual Rating: A-

Final words: Take it home, Phantom! Thanks for showing me what drum corps is all about. A completely moving and emotional experience.

Spirit of JSU

Initial Impressions: Interesting to see what these guys will pull off this year. They look excited.

Performance: Nice! Best I’ve ever seen Spirit, no comparison to last year. I can’t go into much detail, but this is a great ensemble, marching and visual.

Design: Compared to last year’s Broadway show (no corps should ever do such a show, sorry) this was a welcome change. I loved it! Great musical and visual design the whole way though. Blue Shades, though unoriginal, was well done. Loved the ballad.

Needs to be fixed: Just keep on working and they’re a possible top 10 contender!

Complexity of music

Maturity of music

Originality

Volume

Excitement

Power

Goosebumps

Tears

Beauty

Lushness

Captivating ability

Maturity of design

“Big”ness

Memorability

Worthiness

Nuance

Polish

Requirement Rating: C- (11/20)

Audience Reaction: Gooooo Spirit! Excellent show.

Potential Rating: B+

Actual Rating: C

Final words: I am LIKING what I’m seeing. Keep up the good work.

Overall, it was a WONDERFUL show, and seeing Phantom Regiment tonight will be something I remember forever. It was unlike anything I’d seen or heard before. Emotions were had that only drum corps can bring out. Phantom Regiment reminded me why I love the activity…I’ll remember myself sitting there on the edge of my seat, sobbing, for the rest of my life. I’m pulling for them to win this year…I went over to the souvie booth after the show and bought a bumper sticker, which I will place in a blatant location on my car tomorrow. I’m also dedicating next week as Phantom week on my iPod, during which while driving I will blast such classics as 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1996, and 2003 from my car for the world to hear.

I skipped the Cadets souvenir booth. George Hopkins, do you see what your ideas are doing to even the greatest of Cadets fans? Unfortunately, I now have to disregard 20+ years of complete masterpieces. Sorry.

Again, I’m glad I got to witness one of my greatest passions tonight, drum and bugle corps, tonight, and I wish EVERY corps the best of luck for the 2006 eason.

Edited by Hrothgar15

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Nice review. Nice to hear Boston and Spirit on track. Phantom you would expect to be there or there abouts.

Interested in your comments on The Cadets. Personally I do not like shows with 'too much' vocalisation. Its been around for years and does'nt always detract from the show (thinking Garfield during 'I don't know how to love him' in the 70's) but I agree lines need to be drawn in some respects to maintain the integrity of what Drum Corps is (or is it was) about.

Will be interesting to see how this show develops during the season and how it fairs against BD, Cavies, SCV etc.

Cadets

Initial Impressions: Excited, trying to stay open-minded, but aware that there would be aspects of this show that did not fall within the drum corps idiom and would ruin an otherwise amazing product.

listen - thanks for the review - BUT honestly, since you knew it would "ruin an otherwise amazing product" it doesn't sound very "open-minded" / and that's ok - all of us go into performances with pre-conceived set of biases - likes & dislikes.

That has to be one of (if not the best) review I've ever seen here. Kudos!

Excellent Review. Nice job. You called it like you saw it. I enjoyed your write up on Phantom and Cadets. I saw Phantom in Toledo and they have a wonderful musical book. I felt their visual design was their weak aspect, but I know changes will be coming, and many, many tweaks.

Have not seen the Cadets, but I felt your review of them was honest and well done. Thankfully, there were a number of corps for you to "get into" last night, so seeing a show like Cadets doesn't ruin the whole experience. I would say this, give them some time. Either they will find the answers to their problems, or they will abandon the problems. They are usually good at making adjustments throughout the summer.

Nice review on Boston, too. My former colleague, Dr. Jesse Ayers, was one of the composition teachers for the young lady who wrote the original orchestral music that they are performing. I know he is dying to see the corps in Cincinnati.

Jonathan

I have to agree with what a few other people are saying--give them time. Last year early on--most of the people around me had no idea what the show was about--and I being a HUGE Cadets fan also was saying WTF?? I was actually pretty upset after the first viewing. By championships I was sold! Entertaining--well done--pushing the envelope (which is big in DCI these days). That being said--I still enjoyed Phantom's show in 2006 over Cadets--I still thought Cadets should win. Phantom's was more emotional and as a certain announcer would say "gets me where I live"--the one thing we have to remember is--sometimes the gets me where I live is who should win and sometimes the pushing the envelope should--until August, I'll reserve my judgement as for which one I am going for this year--without seeing a single show right now, I must admit, I'd full on ball to see Bluecoats get their first championships--but until I see all (or any shows for that matter) I will sit in dream! LOL

I'd say you got a little overheated, but then suddenly I remembered me sitting in Madison in 2002 going NUTS that the cavies won with such a BAD show IMHO. and then 007 and I was like oj--Cavies are my yankees (yes I am a loser for New England Red Sox area)...

Good review overall though--I liked the approach.

I think this kid gets it.

Loved the swallowing comment. Way too funny.

Good point about us all approaching corps with some preconceived biases. On that same note, I often wondered what the scores and placements would be like if in the first competitive show of the year, the judges had no knowledge of the Corps whatsoever before them. In other words, each of the competing Corps wore street clothes, with no visible Corps insignia's or any way for the judges to know the competing Corps identity. In this competitive evaluation of Corps, the judges would have no prior knowledge of the Corps before them either,, ie their name, their history, their show theme, nor their instructional staff, etc. A ' blind " evaluation ,if you will..... Theoretically, the placements, scores, point differentials should be the same as if these judges knew who was before them. I'd be curious to see what would happen. Those who have faith in the judging community would be relieved to see the placements, scores, and point differentials pretty much the same. Those who have less faith in the judging community would be able to see the training, experience, etc of the judging community superceding the judges own biases they take to a competitive evaluation of disimilar shows and concepts portrayed before them. But if the placement, scores and point differentials were somehow much different, in this " biases free" ,blind judged competition, then .....well....... we'd at least know the judges had more training to do. Either way, It certainly would be interesting and enlightening to say the least. But I'm not holding my breath for this type of bias free judging some day either. As you said, we all have biases. And my guess, the DCI judging community is not about to enact such a bias limiting test like this anyway.

Edited by X DM