Completely Comprehensive Powder Springs Review

This calls your assessment into question and is an aspect of your overall analysis that you may seek to tighten in future reviews.

:laugh:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Venue: Atlanta Brass Classic

Date: June 23, 2006

(Frankly, I have no desire to hear about a male guard member “swallowing” anything, if you catch my drift.)

Wow, you could have made yourself out to be opinionated just fine without putting this in there.......

and

Pardon me if I'm a little miffed but you said the Cadets kids should be applauded but then bash the Cadet who sings in the show..... <**>

Wow, you could have made yourself out to be opinionated just fine without putting this in there.......

and

Pardon me if I'm a little miffed but you said the Cadets kids should be applauded but then bash the Cadet who sings in the show..... <**>

He didnt bash her, he gave his opinion on how it came across to him. Get over it. And the Cadets could have easily presented a show without putting the "swallowed" part in it. Cant have it both ways hon. It was a fine review, can't wait for yours.

~G~

I agree with the others... this was a great review!

Sure wish you could come out West for the Concord Show (30th) and Stockton Show (1st) B)

Keep up the great work.

Great review man! Very descriptive, hope to see more like this. Side note: It brightens my day to see a high school woodwind player state that woodwinds have no part in drum corps, you should pass the note to a few corps directors. From a former 6-year flute/piccolo player, go contra. Really. Just do it, you know you wanna. Because as amazing as it is from the stands, it's really out of this world to be on the field.

EAT 'EM UP BOSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Lassiter High School, if you're wondering)

Boo, hiss!

Sorry, the one guy I've met from Lassiter was an arrogant #####. B)

Boo, hiss!

Sorry, the one guy I've met from Lassiter was an arrogant #####. B)

Who was he? I probaby know him.

Think what you want of my former school...I was just proud to be part of a program that in its 25-year history has never used any form of amplified voice, and won't...ever. This might be why I'm so anti-amplification...I never understood the need for talking during a musical activity. Isn't it music's main selling point that the activity is inherently limited for a reason and forces the performers to communicate not in normal ways but through their instruments? That's why I go to live musical performances like drum corps shows in the first place, to see how the performers will deal with this limitation. I don't approve of mixing two completely different activities into one and destroying the integrity of both. Maybe the New York Mets should also have professional unicyclers on the field in addition to their baseball players...same exact idea as what's going on in DCI.

Wow...

I'm sorry, but I can't believe all the "Great review!" remarks you are getting on this. Don't get me wrong, your review was obviously well thought out and constructed...but, your comments on the Cadets just killed it for me. In my eyes, you lost all credibility with that one.

Anyone who has read my posts in the past knows that I am VERY anti-amplified voice, but it's the WAY that you stated it that wrecked it for me.

By the way, you do NOT know how all of the audience felt. I seriously doubt that you handed out questionaires to the entire audience after the show. Please stop saying that everyone felt the same way you did, because you don't know HOW they felt.

That being said, I am very wary about seeing the Cadets this year. I will see them on July 23rd, right after San Antonio. Our opinions are pretty much the same (from what I'm reading) as far as amped vocals. I believe they are unnecessary and distracting. I am worried about all the amped vocals in Cadets' show this year, and I really, really hated last years show, honestly. I am hoping to like this year's show, but I'm afraid, just like you were, that the amped vocals will "ruin" it.

Actually, I know that a few amped vocals won't "ruin" the whole show or piece...that's just silly to think that. However, it does have the capability to ruin my ENJOYMENT of the show or piece. I think this was what you meant when you said the piece was "ruined" in your review, but perhaps not...

I really want to like Cadets this year. Reviews like this make me doubt that I will, but I'm trying to keep an open mind (yes, it is hard due to my bias).

By the way, please can the "bando" comments. Did you ever march in high school band? Oh wait, you went to Lassiter, so yes, I guess you did. Don't bash something that you yourself were once a part of (not to mention that high school bands are where the majority of drumcorps members come from). Cavies fans do not = bandos. I should know, I am a Cavie fan (and Santa Clara Vanguard, Phantom Regiment, Cadets, Bluecoats, Blue Devils, etc...fan) myself.

In closing, I respect your right to your opinion, and your right to express that opinion. I just wanted to interject the thought to you that when you go "a little overboard" (imo) like you did with the Cadets review, you lose credibility, and people are less likely to take you seriously. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Respectfully,

I would totally agree with Cardman's comments here. The review was going ok until the comments on the Cadets.

What we do in Drum Corps is essentially art so people's reviews of the subject pieces are bound to be opinionated but there needs to be an element of respect. You can say you don't like something without being disrespectful to the people putting their huge effort into trying to entertain the crowds and gt a step closer to perfection.

I agree about not assuming that everyone agrees with your opinion.

Although I wasn't there, when I read your review I immediately associated the "swallowing" remark with Alice in Wonderland, which I know the show is based on. In view of that I can imagine the things Cadets are doing are artistically very much inline with the shows theme.

I'm (controversially perhaps) quite pro-amplification, if it enhances a product. My assumption, and it is an assumption, is that Cadets have a lot of issues to iron out yet with the mix of the vocals in the rest of the show but I imagine it is very tasteful from what I've heard about the show.

Not a "great" review, simply a very average review that was completely ruined with some dis-tasteful, disrespectful remarks.

Simply my two-penneth!

cheers