Completely Comprehensive Powder Springs Review

Says you. However theres plenty that will feel the opposite, wether seeing it or hearing about it. You already know if you want to hear a singer or a brassline, waiting for the event is hardly gonna change ones mind. Some just have low standards and accept anything and everything thats thrown at them , unaware that there IS accounting for taste and you dont have to just "drink the kool-aid" to be a fan (borg) of a certain corps or idiom. You can be a fan and not have to jump on every bandwagon to prove loyalty, You can draw the line.

Where do YOU draw the line ? When is your personal acceptance level challenged ? Would you then mind others jumping al over you telling you how narrow-minded you are and you should just "accept" what your corps is doing ??

No, hopefully, we all have brains, use them, make decisions with them, and dont follow blindly like sheep just becuase we think we have to.

~G~

All I'm saying is I believe the audience is smart enough to come to their own conclusions not guided to it. Contempt prior to investigation [Herbert Spencer].

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think what you want of my former school...I was just proud to be part of a program that in its 25-year history has never used any form of amplified voice, and won't...ever. This might be why I'm so anti-amplification

There are hundred of thousands of schools who can claim the same thing, honey.

Cheers, :blink:

Sean

w/Stp:

Edited by SeanOwenSullivan

By the way, you do NOT know how all of the audience felt. I seriously doubt that you handed out questionaires to the entire audience after the show. Please stop saying that everyone felt the same way you did, because you don't know HOW they felt.

I was there. Most the ppl around ME understood it. Some ppl were even out of their seats clapping during parts.

Sean

w/Stp:

Clarification to what is being said on the field. It is not "swallowed" the phrase is "I think I saw them two hours ago". Anyone who has seen the Cadets perform this year would know 'swallow' is not being said. I hope this has been helpful.

Actually, I thought he said swallow, too - and I was there. Either way LOVED the show!!! If you get back out with them tell them to keep up the great work on a fantastic production.

Sean

w/Stp:

"are you okay?"

"Yeah.....I just threw up a little in my mouth.."

I was actually angry watching this show last Thursday night. Angry because it's not drum corps anymore, angry because someone (ONE) is trying to take the activity in the wrong direction, angry because they are getting much more credit than they deserve, angry most of all because they will continue to win based on WHO they are, rather than WHAT they do.

A good analogy at the moment (I know this is gonna hurt) is if MLB declared the current Atlanta Braves to be division champions right now based on the fact they have won the last 783 years in a row instead of taking into account they have not done well (an understatement) so far this season.

How can you enjoy a brass line when it's covered up by a wailing woman on a loudspeaker?

How can you judge a brass line when they don't play for 3 minutes at a stretch and then spend much of the show playing background chords for the wailing woman on the loudspeaker?

How can a judge give that horn line so many more points than a horn line that plays its buttocks off for an entire show?

How can the audience be expected to pay attention to what the actual performers are doing on the field when our attention is grabbed by roadkill in a red teddy? ALSO AMPLIFIED....?!?!?!?!?

I used to love them. I really did. Now they just make me angry. I used to love drum corps so much in my younger days that I would give almost anyone the benefit of the doubt. Maybe I'm turning into that crotchety old "you kids get off my lawn" guy, I don't know.

I'll see them again a couple of times this season. I think that will be my time to visit the souvie area. I feel sorry for their kids, who will bear the brunt of abuse from those who don't like it. I want to boo, but the kids would think I'm booing them, and not the upper decision makers, which is what I would be doing.

I'm new to the DCP forum, and I know many will bash me. I have spent the last 30 years watching drum corps, and I feel entitled to an opinion. I have embraced change through the years, and welcomed new concepts to the activity. But this is like deciding to add a checkers board to a football game.

angry most of all because they will continue to win based on WHO they are, rather than WHAT they do.

How can you enjoy a brass line when it's covered up by a wailing woman on a loudspeaker?

How can you judge a brass line when they don't play for 3 minutes at a stretch and then spend much of the show playing background chords for the wailing woman on the loudspeaker?

How can a judge give that horn line so many more points than a horn line that plays its buttocks off for an entire show?

How can the audience be expected to pay attention to what the actual performers are doing on the field when our attention is grabbed by roadkill in a red teddy? ALSO AMPLIFIED....?!?!?!?!?

I used to love them. I really did. Now they just make me angry. I used to love drum corps so much in my younger days that I would give almost anyone the benefit of the doubt. Maybe I'm turning into that crotchety old "you kids get off my lawn" guy, I don't know.

Or how about it is because of what they do. I'm not goignt o go into design because there are some elements I wish weren't there myself, but how can you say they win performance captions because of who they are. Did you even watch the show? I haven't seen it, but I'm positive they are performing great and at a higher level than most. Have you read all the reviews on here. Everyone complains about the design, but most everyone is very impressed with the performance of the members.

In regards to the review, I thought it was great. So what if it bashed The Cadets a little. The way it came across to me was about as objective as you can get. I know Hrotgar doesn't like amps and all that, but he did word everything well. I also know he spent time really thinking about what was said and it shows in his review. Props to you man. Even though there were negative things about my home team, it was a pleasure reading it because I know it was stated constructively. I was very impressed.

"are you okay?"

"Yeah.....I just threw up a little in my mouth.."

I was actually angry watching this show last Thursday night. Angry because it's not drum corps anymore, angry because someone (ONE) is trying to take the activity in the wrong direction, angry because they are getting much more credit than they deserve, angry most of all because they will continue to win based on WHO they are, rather than WHAT they do.

A good analogy at the moment (I know this is gonna hurt) is if MLB declared the current Atlanta Braves to be division champions right now based on the fact they have won the last 783 years in a row instead of taking into account they have not done well (an understatement) so far this season.

I'll see them again a couple of times this season. I think that will be my time to visit the souvie area. I feel sorry for their kids, who will bear the brunt of abuse from those who don't like it. I want to boo, but the kids would think I'm booing them, and not the upper decision makers, which is what I would be doing.

I'm new to the DCP forum, and I know many will bash me. I have spent the last 30 years watching drum corps, and I feel entitled to an opinion. I have embraced change through the years, and welcomed new concepts to the activity. But this is like deciding to add a checkers board to a football game.

Wow......welcome to DCP. I wont bash you, I agree with you, of course the pro ampers will say "figures" but, I too have been involved a long time since 1979 and feel your pain and know what you mean...hopefully, this will all correct itself before I have to make some tough decisions.

~G~

Yes, I watched the show. Remember I said I was angry as I watched it?

I have nothing against the performers. I feel sorry for them, as they are being asked to be a part of something that could be, and should be, a lot better.

If the judges were to judge all the corps having never seen them before, dressed in plain black, no identifying marks, and no preconceived idea of who was who ( I know this is quite hypothetical - I can spot BD or Madison from a mile-away parking lot), I am confident that Cadets right now would be in 7th or 8th or 9th place.

Right now, they are NOT performing at a good level. Their feet are all over the place, and the horns, as stated by a long-time corps instructor, judge, and educator I know, are playing like a "#$^%$# junior high school band!" Percussion is pretty good, but, again, who can tell for all the ^%$&^%$ distractions? It just feels like they are trying to hide stuff instead of putting it out there and saying, "here it is....judge it on its musical/visual merits"

What pains me is that, yes, it will get clean, and then there will be only the "artistic" elements to complain about....and they won't be changing! We'll still have to attempt to watch a drum corps show in between the crap.

And, no matter what he actually said, if it sounded like "swallow" in the stands, then that's what we heard. Personally, I have no clue what they said because I was straining to hear and pay attention to the drum corps which was performing in the background behind all the crap which was vying for my attention.

And the Cadets could have easily presented a show without putting the "swallowed" part in it.

~G~

The story I remember; Alice in wonderland didn't "swallow" anything. She got lost......does this help with the story?

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Umm....hello? The little bottle with the sign "Drink Me" on it? And she does...

I read your review again on the Cadets. Are you sure you were at the same show I was at? Even a Cadet hater can clearly see this show has a ton of potential (whether they admit that or not). Thank God the adjudicators can see that because you've already told the Cadets they are wasting their time. Give yourself some time and I'm sure you'll come around [wink, wink].

actually, last year when the Cadets came through Powder Springs, I turned to my buddy and said "There's your champion, dude". Last year's show had it all, in spades, and with all things being equal, if the Cadets and the Cavies took their shows to the best they possibly could, Cadets were going to win on design. Guess what? They won.

This year's show doesn't even come close to the show last year. I have always been a huge Cadets fan, but this one just isn't going to do it for them.