Columbia, MO Review

Actually I just listened to all three shows and from what I heard the Scouts version of incantations sounded more like the Southwind version than the bluecoats version from last year. And this years distorted has some similarities but Bluecoats have obviously used different sections from the pieces than what the scouts used.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

re-read my original statement in my review about it...I realize it happens...but this music was brand new to drum corps...and only done 2 years prior...it's NOT well known. Which, if it had been, it would have made their choosing it somewhat logical. but I was just really surprised to hear 2 different (as it was pointed out) songs from the same Scouts show in THEIR show in 2 consecutive seasons. Plus with it being so close, it will draw a lot of comparisons.

*shrug*

Looks like "Ride" has gotten pretty popular since Blue did it 2004 also.

well, at least I admitted my bias...and then also said I was TRYING to be subjective. But honestly, I think I was much more complimentary of Colts and Cavies...

From the web, objectivity/subjectivity in reporting as defined by the BBC:

"How would you define objectivity and subjectivity in reporting as far as the electronic media is concerned?

Being objective is about being balanced; we try to be as objective as possible by giving the best view. Subjectivity in journalism is opinionated. "

So, if you were trying to be opinionated, I'd say you succeeded...because bias and subjectivity are effectively the same thing. If objectivity was your goal, I don't think it was achieved. Other than that, a pretty good review.

Actually I just listened to all three shows and from what I heard the Scouts version of incantations sounded more like the Southwind version than the bluecoats version from last year. And this years distorted has some similarities but Bluecoats have obviously used different sections from the pieces than what the scouts used.

I disagree...while the arrangements weren't exactly the same, I recognized them within 2 bars...not saying I'm a musical genius or anything...only pointing out how obvious it seemed...

"How would you define objectivity and subjectivity in reporting as far as the electronic media is concerned?

Being objective is about being balanced; we try to be as objective as possible by giving the best view. Subjectivity in journalism is opinionated. "

So, if you were trying to be opinionated, I'd say you succeeded...because bias and subjectivity are effectively the same thing. If objectivity was your goal, I don't think it was achieved. Other than that, a pretty good review.

well, I'm glad someone here decided to point that out...if that's what the first poster intended, he should have just stated that at first. ok, I meant to be OBJECTIVE...it was like 4:00 in the morning and I didn't really feel like proof-reading myself...and then I went and repeated it, thinking someone was questioning my review of scouts...

sooooo...sorry for the grammatical error everyone. I'll do my best from now on to not make one again. :D

Edited by BigBadMadMan

*shrug*

Looks like "Ride" has gotten pretty popular since Blue did it 2004 also.

really? looks like Colts are the only other div 1 corps to do it.

corpsreps doesn't even list Southwind doing Incantation, but looking back, I seem to remember it being the case...

and Bluecoats have pulled not 1, but 2 songs from that same 2003 show...so basically half of the show.

really? looks like Colts are the only other div 1 corps to do it.

corpsreps doesn't even list Southwind doing Incantation, but looking back, I seem to remember it being the case...

and Bluecoats have pulled not 1, but 2 songs from that same 2003 show...so basically half of the show.

Actually 1/3 of the show since Madison had 6 songs listed for the rep in 2003.

Southwinds 2005 show lists Incantations as one of the pieces, it was during the section were they sang part of it.

Actually 1/3 of the show since Madison had 6 songs listed for the rep in 2003.

Southwinds 2005 show lists Incantations as one of the pieces, it was during the section were they sang part of it.

6 songs but 2 were just little snippets. The song they did last year was Scouts 2003 closer...and the song this year was the 2003 opener...so it's roughly ( or slightly more than) half their show from 2003.

Actually, I found his review to be pretty interesting - more substance than most previous I've read by all posters - and refreshingly NOT totally blind to the the present 'difficulties' of 'his' favorite corps. I know all the Bloo supporters won't like this review, but then again, it had far more substance than the total hype kind of review - meaning it brought about points to consider and was not so ambiguous...and that goes for all his corps performance descriptions.

Good review, and thanks for taking the time.

You gave your opinion, and that's all you need to do.

I do disagree with you on Bluecoats show. I don't think people realize just how hard that show is. Their horn and percussion books are amazing, and the visual and guard programs are top 5 quality. Yes, they do seem to be cleaner than many, but I would rather be there than to be dirty with a lot of work to be done. The Bluecoats have plenty to clean and tweak, but they also have the advantage of having firm control of what they DO have, and that gives them legs going into mid-season and beyond.

Just remember that shows with perhaps too much dirt and demand can ultimately backfire, because there is limited time to clean and tweak the right elements. Madison has a wonderful show and they are very dirty, but there is no guarantee that they clean it; and even if they do, does this mean they will beat Bluecoats, or Phantom, or SCV, etc.?

Just some considerations for those of you putting too much emphasis on the demand aspect.

Jonathan