Columbia, MO Review

It's just because you said something negative about the Bluecoats! Whatever, you were totally objective. People need to re-read how you discuss the visual (color guard, drill) and musical woes of the Scouts right now. You haven't said anything others haven't, including their potential. You also raved about the Bluecoats guard and percussion. Give me a break - your review was one of the better ones I've seen this year.

thanks...I won't even respond to the post above yours...because I think I did a very good job of being as "open-minded" as possible when discussing Bluecoats...because it's only the Bluecoats fans and alums that have replied...no one for the things I said about Blue Stars...or Memphis Sound...or Pioneer. As you said, I was more critical of the Scouts than of the Bluecoats, but that's quite alright. At least I know others can see that... :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean finals, or for the Madison show this Sunday?

sorry...finals...

NO WAY!!! That totally rules!! Now at least I'll know where to find him.. (Who's Cathy? Last time I saw him it was just him.. I don't think I know Cathy).

Anyway, thanks for remembering and getting back to me. Now I've got ANOTHER reason to look forward to finals week!

Stef

Cathy is a long-time Scout volunteer from madison area, I believe. She seems to know everyone so I figured you knew her as well...lol but ya, otherwise it's just him...

thanks...I won't even respond to the post above yours...because I think I did a very good job of being as "open-minded" as possible when discussing Bluecoats...because it's only the Bluecoats fans and alums that have replied...no one for the things I said about Blue Stars...or Memphis Sound...or Pioneer. As you said, I was more critical of the Scouts than of the Bluecoats, but that's quite alright. At least I know others can see that... :)

I understand where they are coming from because they have high hopes for this season, but opinions are opinions! I think the Scouts learned their lesson from the past two years about peaking early. Will they get that beast under control? I hope so, but that remains to be seen. You're not the only person that has said Bluecoats drill is less than demanding. I have a good friend in the midwest who has seen everyone and she thinks, "Cavies and Phantom are going to bury Bluecoats at finals". She also said she isn't sure Madison's going to be able to pull this show off! We'll see.

Edited by gellio

I understand where they are coming from because they have high hopes for this season, but opinions are opinions! I think the Scouts learned their lesson from the past two years about peaking early. Will they get that beast under control? I hope so, but that remains to be seen. You're not the only person that has said Bluecoats drill is less than demanding. I have a good friend in the midwest who has seen everyone and she thinks, "Cavies and Phantom are going to bury Bluecoats at finals". She also said she isn't sure Madison's going to be able to pull this show off! We'll see.

You think Madison has been peaking early? I sorta disagree.

Last year, they didn't even get a real ending put on their show, and the season ran out before they could finish. And the guard never improved from mid-season on. They had a GREAT early season, but they didn't have the training...and possibly the staff...to keep the momentum going. I don't think they peaked at all.

And as for Bluecoats this year....I think they have a very very well-written show with one of the best guards in DCI. I really do believe that. I just think it's a show that needs some oomph from the hornline which will probably come much later. I saw them in Lexington last night, and they had sooo many phasing problems and dirty drill. I didn't think the hornline marching was clean at all. I felt that they were being carried by their guard and their drumline. Maybe this isn't true....but that's what it seemed in Lex. I believe that they will add more excitement as the season goes on by cleaning and gaining volume and confidence with their horns. It's a very good show.

Like I think I said, I enjoyed your review and even your criticism of the Bluecoats show (in particular, b/c that is what is of the most interest to me to discuss at this point). My only problem was of your complaint about the song choices ... things like that happen all the time and it really isn't that big of a deal. That's all.

I hope you're wrong about the Bluecoats' show, but I can't say for sure b/c I haven't seen anything. The only thing I know for sure is that the music for their ballad is simply an awesome song ... the original is sung by Sting and the theme music for an Italian TV show.

For those wondering where the volumn and impact are in the horn line -- that's the Bluecoats' way (read: Dave MacKinnon's way) ... that comes later in the season when the members should be better able to handle it.

- R -

P.S. -- Please forgive all of us Bluecoats people for being excited ... we're just so proud of our team and all that they have accomplished in the past few years. The Bluecoats just hired their first full-time employee (executive director) a couple of years ago and just their second full-time employee (operations director) this past offseason. I don't know for sure, but there certainly aren't many corps out there that "young" the development of the "organization." It's nice to see and we're oh-so proud of everyone involved.

Like I think I said, I enjoyed your review and even your criticism of the Bluecoats show (in particular, b/c that is what is of the most interest to me to discuss at this point). My only problem was of your complaint about the song choices ... things like that happen all the time and it really isn't that big of a deal. That's all.

I hope you're wrong about the Bluecoats' show, but I can't say for sure b/c I haven't seen anything. The only thing I know for sure is that the music for their ballad is simply an awesome song ... the original is sung by Sting and the theme music for an Italian TV show.

For those wondering where the volumn and impact are in the horn line -- that's the Bluecoats' way (read: Dave MacKinnon's way) ... that comes later in the season when the members should be better able to handle it.

- R -

P.S. -- Please forgive all of us Bluecoats people for being excited ... we're just so proud of our team and all that they have accomplished in the past few years. The Bluecoats just hired their first full-time employee (executive director) a couple of years ago and just their second full-time employee (operations director) this past offseason. I don't know for sure, but there certainly aren't many corps out there that "young" the development of the "organization." It's nice to see and we're oh-so proud of everyone involved.

You SHOULD be VERY proud of the Bluecoats. They have come such a long way since 2000...and they are one of the corps I enjoy most. It's just that this has turned into Bluecoatsplanet then when someone offers an objective review that happens to discuss the lack of demand in the Bluecoats drill - he's put in front of a firing squad.

I am sure their show is very well designed - but design can only take you so far. If corps A and B perform at the same level, the bigger marks should go to the corps with more demand.

I mean I haven't even seen the shows. My friend said Cavies do a lot more in their show than Bluecoats (or Phantom) and they're already beating them. She also said Phantom's show was her absolute favorite. I can't wait to see everyone.

Be sure and watch for the pin ball machine in the Cavies Show. It is on the playback from the Columbia show. The reviewer was right, this show keeps you busy, there is so much to watch. If you went, did anyone hear the typewriter? My son is in the front ensemble and he plays an old typewriter in one of the movements. True to Cavalier form they will keep adding stuff until finals and I can tell you this will be one heck of a show. Anxious to see the Blue Devils especially if they are scoring in the 80's already. Too bad Sevierville was rained out tonight. Would have liked to have seen the Cavies - Cadets matchup.

Thanks for the review, for those of us who have boys (and girls) in the corps it is almost like being there with them.

Edited by nero14

Edited by nero14

sooo... say you had 50 bucks in your pocket right now... and you've got to bet it on the bluecoats placing 1-5 or 6-12... and you're gonna go 6-12?- (i have to kinda assume that from the torrent of bluecoats negativity and pessimism...)

are you a betting man? :)

and looking at your posts- you just seem so upset at the bluecoats--

where's the love man? loving madison doesnt mean bagging on blue and trying to un-hype this season with every fiber of your being (over the last 2 weeks-- you are like a broken record)

when you watch the show with green goggles- yeah, blue's not gonna look so good-

maybe try a review with a pinch of favoritism instead of shovel-full... yikes

lol you obviously didn't read my review...

and I certainly haven't had the time to spend the past 2 weeks of my life bagging the Bluecoats. I haven't made any derrogatory or mean-spirited comments about them on this board at all...certainly not intentionally. What they do is what they do...I gave an honest assessment. I mean, of course I'm going to pull for my corps, however, I was just as (or more so) tough on the Scouts than I was on anyone in my review. I think I gave as best an impression of my first viewing as I could have.

if my sig, screen name, and fleur-de-lis logo weren't shown, I highly doubt you'd be able to deduce anything about my allegiances from that review...

Edited by BigBadMadMan