Sevierville, TN

I didn't attend "Rocky Top", but I had Julian as a clinician at a honor band for a week. He was very much a ##### to the flutes. There was this one entrance that we worked on for an hour. He kept fussing "loudly" about the flutes (the two girls playing that part) intonation. After about 15 minutes, the girls would take turns playing the part. He would still say they were not playing in tune with each other. At one point, he cut them off immediately after the count-off yelling about it not being in tune. The girls had not even attacked the note yet. It was the worse honor band expirience I ever had.

BTW, he would also grunt when conducting. It was very annoying. It was particularly funny at the beggining of "Fanfare for the Common Man". He would grunt with the bd/tymp parts. "uhn........uhn uhn..."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The decision was made by the directors who were available at 6:00. MCL did not attempt to persuade anyone on what to do since we understood this show was primarily about the junior corps competition. We deferred to the junior corps and they had legitimate reasons for opting for a standstill performance...

What's most surprising to me is that there was apparently no "irate school groundskeeper" upset at what would happen to "his field" if a bunch of out-of-town "band kids" spent the evening marching on it. But I realize this show was not in the northeast...

Patrick's right, too. Broken ankles would be a real problem for us Caltrate-overdosed, Geritol-swilling, all-age corps members. We are all so frail and brittle. (j/k!)

BUT JUST ONCE, I would like to see what would happen if the Cabs, Vanguard, Cadets, Bucs, Cavaliers, or Brigadiers went out on the field and did their entire show in 1" football spikes.

Just once...!

We performed on a wet field in Des Plaines, IL in 2003, presumably because it was our home show (even though we didn't march at Michigan City one year because of rain, who knows..) and we had 17 guys fall in one night, myself included. That 3rd movement drum break was vicious on dry ground, so when we did it on really slippery grass, we had so many guys tumble. What an awful night...