Sevierville, TN

When I marched in the POTS in 92 & 93, that number was over 1000. One of the trombones always kept the counter attached to his tuning slide...

I'm not a big fan of all the changes Sousa and the gang have done. Rocky Top = Choppy Top. In '98, the Alma Mater was switched from concert Ab to F and from a flowing 6/8 to a choppy 2/4 or 4/4 (can't remember). Then there was the whole canning of Romines and Schallert. :lol:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude! another POTS alum? i marched there 2001, 2002, and 2003! some good times, some bad... but it was always just nice to get to play however the crap loud i wanted to play all the time without someone in the tower telling me to back it down afew decibals! hehe

and a trombone player counted how many times we played rocky top in 2002- the total? 757 and you know thats not an exaggeration- and yeah... my problem with sousa and ryder is that they were not sensitive to the whole DCI scene-

My first year (92) was Dr. Julian's last year. Then Sparks took over before he got canned. My 2nd year was Romines first year as the #3 guy. The #2 that year was Rat P, er.. I mean Pat Root.

I'm not a big fan of all the changes Sousa and the gang have done. Rocky Top = Choppy Top. In '98, the Alma Mater was switched from concert Ab to F and from a flowing 6/8 to a choppy 2/4 or 4/4 (can't remember). Then there was the whole canning of Romines and Schallert. :lol:

Would this be the same David Romines that is now the director at UGA?

If it is, I studied conducting in the same class he did at USM.

I'll withhold further comment.

I think his first name was Jeff or something. Not really sure, so I'll defer to those younger guys...

yeah totally- i thought it was great- its just i havnt seen but maybe 2 senior corps in my entire life, and i dont know what the standard is... i dont know what a "good" senior corps is- so i have no frame of comparison- i know what a good div 1 corps is so i can review with confidence... same goes for div 2- i just dont have a frame of comparison...

One other very important thing to realize when seeing a senior/all age corps at a DCI show is that our season is almost a month behind DCI's. Our championships are on the first week of September. So basically, you are seeing us during a time that is equivalent of a DCI corps' "Memorial day camp weekend". So, give us ALL (not just MCL, but every senior corps) another month or so to add all of the bells and whistles that will make our show...our SHOW (including musical modifications etc.) and I think you will like us whole lot better.

Thanks for the great (amd timely) review by the way!

i guess it would be best if i just left my opinions out for those corps just to be fair to them...

No! Not at all! Keep it coming! We are a drum corps too and at the contest, so you most certainly SHOULD include us and THANK YOU for doing so! Like I said, just keep in mind the time frame as you do in the future. Again, GREAT REVIEW!

Edited by torn8o

I checked the UGA music page, and it's not the same guy. The Romines at UT was an alumni and he was shown the door so Sousa could bring in who he wanted.

My brother was a trombone player and he marched in '95-'96. He was there for Sparks' last year, and he really liked him. Sparks was a trombone player, so that probably had something to do with it.

Is the legend true about Julian? Does he really not like fat people? :lol:

Since you asked, the legend goes that once in a drill rehearsal Dr. Julian was checking the forms, and an especially heavy girl was in the line. Well, she was apparently so big that she appeared to "stick out" of the form. He looked down the front of the form and told her to move back. Then he looked at the back of the form and told her to move up. Finally, after giving up on the perfection he demanded, he said "I looked in front, then behind, G*d #### it, girl, lose some weight!"

Since you asked, the legend goes that once in a drill rehearsal Dr. Julian was checking the forms, and an especially heavy girl was in the line. Well, she was apparently so big that she appeared to "stick out" of the form. He looked down the front of the form and told her to move back. Then he looked at the back of the form and told her to move up. Finally, after giving up on the perfection he demanded, he said "I looked in front, then behind, G*d #### it, girl, lose some weight!"

That story was alive an well when I was there. It had been embellished a bit with more cruelty from Julian than what you said, but the setup was the same. My high school band director went to UT back in the late 60s-early 70s and he would do his Julian impersonation.

At homecoming in '98, Julian conducted the Alma Mater and in the original drill set, I was going to be right in front of his ladder. I was quite chunky at the time and the stories I had heard put the fear of God into me, so I was relived when the set was changed. :sshh:

Edited by KungFuCharlie

dude! another POTS alum? i marched there 2001, 2002, and 2003! some good times, some bad... but it was always just nice to get to play however the crap loud i wanted to play all the time without someone in the tower telling me to back it down afew decibals! hehe

We had roughly 55 trumpets and I was "C-15", the last guy on first part. We had quite a number of characters just on first part. One of the 1st trumpets (a future Southwind & Madison sop) actually got picked out of the pregame formation during practice because he was playing so loud. It was probably because in on the long chords in the little fanfare that starts pregame, there's a split in the first trumpet part. Nobody ever played the lower split until one day in practice, Matt and I decided to do it. No knowing what notes the 2nds and 3rds were playing, we figured it would fit in. Turns out the lower lead split changes the entire color of the chord by grinding against the 2nd part's note. Feeling mischievous, we decided to just blast these notes. When I went and listened to recordings of pregame on the CDs, I noticed that the final chords of the various songs are hardly ever a straight major chord. A lot of them have a 9 thrown in there.