Drums on the Ohio 6/27

I think the effect of the mic'ed bass drum escaped the original poster. I take it that with the drill in pattern that represents and EKG the bass drum parts are to represent a heartbeat.

The two of these serve as the element that connexus (connects us): a heart. (although sometimes I wonder)

You took the words right out of my mouth! The mic'ed bass is meant to carry the heartbeat sound throughout the show, and that is definitely an EKG monitor. Might help some people to relate to the show better if that's explained.

I was at the Evansville show -- my impression after the Cadets show was that most people were a little stunned, and not in a good way. There was polite applause at a couple of impact points, and a little more polite applause at the conclusion of the performance. Spirit got a standing ovation, Bluecoats got one, zip for the Cadets. Even the rabid Cadets fan sitting next to me was shocked. And yes, there was "booing" when Bluecoats were announced in second place. The "Blooing" came when they exited the field after their performance, and at the close of their encore.

Cadets 2006 is just a weird, weird show concept, and focused way too much on the "star" performers. Alice (although I couldn't have identifed her as Alice if I hadn't already known what the show was about since she was just a blonde girl dressed in yellow 60's-era psychedlic attire) is apparently the intended focal point of the show. I couldn't bring myself to watch anything but her, and occasionally the other three very unattractive characters. I actually want to see the show again, and I plan to consciously try to focus on the rest of the production to see what else is going on out there. I don't fault the marching members at all; the design of the program is out of control, and they deserve a better vehicle than they've been given.

As for the singer, she is apparently talented, but her vocals in the intro were completely drowned out by the excessively loud pit. The only part that was audible was "history repeating..." -- until that point I had no idea what she was singing. The part in the ballad was better, but I found myself wanting to hear the horns and not the voice; again, the voice was so distracting that it's hard to pick up what's happening behind her.

With all that said, I want to add this: last year's Cadets show was my favorite of theirs, and my favorite of the year. I loved it from the first time I saw it and couldn't wait to see what they added as the season progressed. I thought it was funny, light-hearted, innovative, and completely deserving of the gold last year. This year's show seems muddled, derivative, and campy in comparison. Not my cup of tea, Alice!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! We didn't do that as far back as MY day...we had no concert in 72, and we marched in 3...4...5...and 6.

:ph34r:

Sorry Mike....hyperbole. Just trying to make a point!

DW

Then I hope he has a chance to come to Madison to see the outcome. Let's see if he remains disappointed...

Irving

Fan of the Arts

How arrogant to think that he hasnt seen enough already to form a relevant, sincere opinion. He dont like it ? He dont like it....period.

~G~

How arrogant to think that he hasnt seen enough already to form a relevant, sincere opinion. He dont like it ? He dont like it....period.

Unlike in your world, peoples opinions CAN change about a show they see in August from what they were in June. It's not like that's never happened before, and it's certainly not arrogant to take a "wait and see" attitude. As critical as I've been so far of what I've seen, I'm actually eager to see the show again to get another take on it, as I'm sure many things have been added and adjusted, and of course I expect it to be further along from an excellence standpoint as well from the last time I saw it two weeks ago.

~G~

~G~

What's arragant about me hoping he gets a chance to see another show; especially in Madison? I'm not looking to pick a fight -- but it sounds like you are.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Hey ! You know so much about me, care to elaborate on "my world" ??

Tell me what you mean.....

~G~

Can I give it a shot? :)

Irving

Fan of the Arts

You took the words right out of my mouth! The mic'ed bass is meant to carry the heartbeat sound throughout the show, and that is definitely an EKG monitor. Might help some people to relate to the show better if that's explained.

Well, I agree with this ... to an extent. If you have to explain it, maybe it is not working quite right. I still contend the effect would have been what they were looking for if the bass drum was either not amplified or turned way down. It kept the break out of the battery and the drum break from being as dramatic and IMO, covered up a beautiful ballad.

.... The "Blooing" came when they exited the field after their performance, and at the close of their encore.

Quite true. I always love going to a drum corps show when the Bluecoats are there. The new fans think people are booing when they are bloooooing. Last night, like at most shows, I explained to several fans that it was a positive thing and that they were saying "Blue" not "Boo".

There are two reasons IMO why the Cadets did not get a great response: a) the show shocked some people, and B) they did not parade in front of the crowd like the rest of the corps did. Too many props to move kept the kids from getting some appropriate applause for their efforts.

Some of the booing came when they announced the results. People were really stunned that the Cadets show won. Really stunned. I don't think it resonated with the fans very well. Certainly the Bluecoats (my objections aside) had a show that the fans really thought was much better.

Jim

~G~

~G~

Arrogance would be for me to say something like -- the kid is only 14 years old; what does he know about what he likes and doesn't like!

The kid is 14 and a band member. He could be a marching Cadet member one day; or SCV or...[fill in the blank]. Anything to keep him on that path.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

the last thread i said-and retracted- something negative about the review because it seemed to be someone with a very strong madison bias telling me that the bluecoats were ripping off Madison 2003 and that the only reason blue was doing well was due to the fact that they were in his eyes marching a very weak book, drill-wise... kiiinda got to me a little and i responded in kind--

in terms of this review- you let a bass drum ruin an entire show for you because thats all you could focus on- i was more just prodding for more info- like "what would the show have been like if the amps were unplugged and that bass drum wasnt bothering you so much?"- thats all- not upset- i apologize if i seemed too critical- i do appreciate your review and the time you took to write it-

once again - you need to learn to read and get over yourself. that reviewer NEVER said anything about bluecoats ripping off madison. he said he didn't understand why they would play the same song madison played, which would make that song be played three years in a row by two different corps. he was mistaken and he acknowledged the mistake. he also never said the only reason bluecoats were doing well was because they had an easy show. he said the drill wasn't very demanding, and he's not the only one who's said that. learn to comprehend what you are reading.