Greatest Show on Earth - July 1 - Bridgeport, CT

I agree, 2004 DCA show was horrible. If it wasn't for the newly established and supposedly one-time performance only by the Park City Pride, the stands would have only had 1/2 the total attendence. The landscape has changed in Bridgeport, once a major player, along with the Newark NJ. area as mecca's of Drum anf Bugle Corps. One contributory factor was that ST. Raphael's Parish was right down the street from Kennedy Stadium. They sponsored 3 Drum Corps at one time, the Golden Buccaneers were the show piece. Many parishoniers lived near or around the stadium and attended any and all Drum Corps events held there. You would attend one of St. Raphael's shows and the stadium woud be packed with knowledgeable Drum Corps fans. Sadly, the decline of youth orientated programs which were the major factor to the participation and success of the many Bridgeport area junior progams that began in the 50's, crested in the 60's and eventually died in the early 70's.

I do believe the Barnum Festival has been on the decline for many years, due to the many factors listed above. The GREAT STREET PARADE is and has been for the past 20 years non existent. Poor marketing and lack of advertising by the Barnum Foundation for it's 2 major showcases, Parade of Champions and the Great Street Parade has contributed its demise. Hopefully, they will smarten up and provide the people of Bridgeport with a classic showpiece of great Drum Corps competition.

I however do not agree with those who say Bridgeport should'nt have occured the 1st week of July because of a show in Dover NJ this year or on Long Island last year. The Barnum has been held for over 50 years. Though it has been suffering due to bad administrative decisions lately, it is still a major showcase in the northeast for Drum Corps. Don't blame Barnum for scheduling conflicts. They still are a Major player for this activity. Last time I checked Allentown was 70 miles from Dover NJ while Bridgeport was 90 miles away. Yet nobody complained about Allentown detracting from the audience.,

My opinion is Barnum should be re-established to provide the people of Bridgeport with the Drum and Bugle Corps competitions they have been have so sorely been missing over decades. Present a Junior DCI and All-Age DCA show, imaging the great Dream Shows of the past.

Like the clip from Field of Dreams, "build it, they will come".

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You hit it. Up until last Saturday night I have Not been to Bridgeport since 1988 or 1989. I will tell you from the old "golfer hole" field to its new turf, Bridgeport has a great field. I feel the problem is that Drum Corps started the Last week of may until the first weekend of September. Through out the late 80's the corps were not ready until the end of June. That I feel is the real problem. And then the question is "how do we fix it"?

I agree, 2004 DCA show was horrible. If it wasn't for the newly established and supposedly one-time performance only by the Park City Pride, the stands would have only had 1/2 the total attendence. The landscape has changed in Bridgeport, once a major player, along with the Newark NJ. area as mecca's of Drum anf Bugle Corps. One contributory factor was that ST. Raphael's Parish was right down the street from Kennedy Stadium. They sponsored 3 Drum Corps at one time, the Golden Buccaneers were the show piece. Many parishoniers lived near or around the stadium and attended any and all Drum Corps events held there. You would attend one of St. Raphael's shows and the stadium woud be packed with knowledgeable Drum Corps fans. Sadly, the decline of youth orientated programs which were the major factor to the participation and success of the many Bridgeport area junior progams that began in the 50's, crested in the 60's and eventually died in the early 70's.

I do believe the Barnum Festival has been on the decline for many years, due to the many factors listed above. The GREAT STREET PARADE is and has been for the past 20 years non existent. Poor marketing and lack of advertising by the Barnum Foundation for it's 2 major showcases, Parade of Champions and the Great Street Parade has contributed its demise. Hopefully, they will smarten up and provide the people of Bridgeport with a classic showpiece of great Drum Corps competition.

I however do not agree with those who say Bridgeport should'nt have occured the 1st week of July because of a show in Dover NJ this year or on Long Island last year. The Barnum has been held for over 50 years. Though it has been suffering due to bad administrative decisions lately, it is still a major showcase in the northeast for Drum Corps. Don't blame Barnum for scheduling conflicts. They still are a Major player for this activity. Last time I checked Allentown was 70 miles from Dover NJ while Bridgeport was 90 miles away. Yet nobody complained about Allentown detracting from the audience.,

My opinion is Barnum should be re-established to provide the people of Bridgeport with the Drum and Bugle Corps competitions they have been have so sorely been missing over decades. Present a Junior DCI and All-Age DCA show, imaging the great Dream Shows of the past.

competition.

--------------------------------

---------------------------------

I was part of the Drum Corps glory day’s way back when, in Bridgeport, and our corps The Park City Pride is trying to bring them back…check out the Jr. DCI show we are holding….

http://www.theparkcitypride.org/Special_Ev...2006_PayPal.htm

I agree the BF has real problems, I even had family members who didn’t attend this year because they wanted to see a good old fashion corps competition, and then some alumni exhibitions.

We hope to see you all at our show, July 29th.

"Build it and They Will Come":

EXCELLENT write up!!!! Bravo!!!!

Elphaba

Thanks for the kind words on your review....but I was actually hoping for a FULL review of all the corps in the show....since I was not able to see everyone (par usual) because we usually go on so late. I always like to hear how well my co-horts in the other corps made out with their performances!!!

Anyone else want to chime in and give their opinions???

(I would LOVE to hear what Mr. John Ratzenberg (if that is how you spell his name) of "Cheers" fame thought of the show and all of the corps who performed!!!)

Yeah, but he should do it as Cliff. b**bs

I feel the problem is that Drum Corps started the Last week of may until the first weekend of September. Through out the late 80's the corps were not ready until the end of June. That I feel is the real problem. And then the question is "how do we fix it"?

I don't know, but let's face it, both DCA and DCI really about have about 8 week long competition seasons these days,............................my memories of the early 80's includes contests starting the first weekend in June with many two show weekends,................................ back then corps got maybe 12 contests before Labor day, now most corps don't even get six,.................

But now with all age exploding across the country, there will be more opportunities,...............................and with that, it will sort of begin the "fix" you are looking for,...................... and as a matter of observation, I think DCA will have to look at the possibility of a 35-40 corps prelim format in the not to distant future,......................

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the kind words on your review....but I was actually hoping for a FULL review of all the corps in the show....since I was not able to see everyone (par usual) because we usually go on so late. I always like to hear how well my co-horts in the other corps made out with their performances!!!

Anyone else want to chime in and give their opinions???

(I would LOVE to hear what Mr. John Ratzenberg (if that is how you spell his name) of "Cheers" fame thought of the show and all of the corps who performed!!!)

Ratzie loved it ... I think he was duly impressed with Bridgemen, as was I.

I heard a couple of years back the BF Committee decided to drop the competitive Champions on Parade for an alumni show largely because they felt corps weren't ready, and therefore fans weren't getting their money's worth.

I also heard there was a drum corps person on that committee who agreed with that position.

Is this urban legend, or is it true?

The Barnum was a one of a kind contest, and it breaks my heart to have to choose between Skyliner show in Dover and ANY Champions on Parade show in Bridgeport, be it alumni or competition corps.

I grew up in Ct., and the Barnum is in my blood.

Mark Riley

didnt they go junior the first year after it wasnt all DCA...DCI is less ready in late June early July than DCA is usually