Huntington, WV (Drums Across the Tri-State) Review

Well my first review, here goes.

I arrived at the stadium, and since I had the money to spend on seats I splurged. $20 and I was right on the 50 just under the sky box at Joan C. Edwards Stadium, in other words, KILLER seats.

First of all, I am a high school graduate, Im a low-brass player, but I can play any brass instrument, as well as mallet percussion. I marched a local corps a few years back, and last year toured on the Southwind Support Staff. I will be rough on the brass and pit more than anything because thats what I know more about.

National Anthem by Darian Sanders of Phantom Reg. Not bad honestly, but I was hoping Lincoln Brass Quintet (local group) would make an appearance. But on to the corps!

The Magic of Orlando (56.75)- The swaying circles at the beginning is a little bando for me, but nicely done even with holes in the hornline. Percussion right off the bat, very impressive! And the first brass hit is really good. Unfortuneatly thats about as good as it gets for the hornline as a whole. LOTS of holes in the hornline made the performance not what it could have been. The guard work at the beginning is good, and i think they will improve as the year goes on. The percussion as a whole is pretty solid, a couple of runs in the bass line need cleaned but other than that they were pretty good. Brass line, whoo boy. The opener is pretty solid, and at first I thought that I was in for a show. Then it starts falling away. First, TRUMPETS, BE CAREFUL! You guys are trying to sound like a huge trumpet line and you are spreading and over balancing the rest of the hornline. That being said, I could use some more mellophone. The ballad ("One Day I'll Fly Away") the mello duet is really nice but I noticed when your lead went into the upper register, it sounded a bit weak and pinched off. LOW-BRASS...WOW! Although I did notice one of your contra players kinds meandering around in the backfield looking lost. As far as execution, they do pretty well, but there are some issues with feet and hitting the right spots that could be addressed, and there are some holes. Overall I think their score was a little low, but around the area.

Southwind (62.25)- Ok I will admit Im a bit biased (:lol:) but WOW!! The talent of this corps is off the chain! Right off, trumpet soloist at the beginning WOW! The opening hit on this is...oh man there isnt a word in the english language! And LOW-BRASS b**bs! The high-brass also does very well and the fusion of "In Spring, the Time When Kings Go Off to War" in the high brass and "Firebird" in the low brass is AMAZING! And that Southwind percussion section from last year? OH MY GOODNESS! First of all battery, :lol: Im tellin ya, its like butter! Pit, I adore you! "Claire de Lune" is GORGEOUS!! The ballad, I seriously about threw some dollar bills on the field! That was ear candy hardcore! Guard, NICE NICE NICE NICE! on the execution, but I dont care much for the guard unis. As far as execution, there are some REALLY nice moments in the marching, but there are a couple places that looked like they need cleaned. But overall a good performance. This corps is bound for semis, and I could see them in the Top 12!

Spirit from JSU (71.45)- First of all NICE UNIFORMS GUARD!! I like the throw back to the old school! The opener is REALLY slammin, I like it alot, and PIT...oh man pit...soooooo good! The hornline, WOW! Ladies and gentlemen, Spirit is the real deal this year! Screamers that would make BD blush, and just LOADS of insane licks, and a bari solist that just absolutely made me grin from ear to ear. (I kid you not the guy has some KILLER chops!) :D The whole show is really well designed, mad props to the design staff. Guard, overall very nice, a couple of drops, and one member that didnt know the whole show kinda took away from it. I think Southwind had a better guard. And overall this show is very well designed. Should make finals.

Intermission

Carolina Crown (74.1)- I regret that I missed this show as far as visual, but they sounded REALLY good.

The Cadets (78.95)- Ok, Im sorry but I just dont like the show. There isnt enough brass in this show, the percussion and guard do a very nice job but, just not enough brass for me. And whats up with the girl with the microphone?!?!? I can live with vocals, but the girl basically walks up and down with a microphone singing "AAAAAH!!" and "WHERE ARE WE?!?" the entire show. Im sorry but she is really distracting and takes away from what little hornline there is in that segment of the show. *maybe turn her mic down a little*

The guard looks really good, and the tables (though I dont get their purpose in the show) are a really neat prop, and the part where the girls are on the table and the guys pick them up is really cool! But like I said, not enough brass. BUT the percussion, WOW! Very nice! However not enough brass, too much singing, and KILL THE DOOR!!! Alice, Queen, Hatter, and Rabbit...go back through the door. Im sorry, but this show didnt really deserve to beat...

(p.s. if this came across as mean, Im sorry, but its just my personal opinion..I need some more brass...)

Phantom Regiment (76.5)- First off, YOUR DRUM MAJOR IS A PIMP! The pulling the baton out...SWEEET! Guard, WOW! The flags and the uniforms, it was GREAT! The flags all through the show were VERY nice. The guys, nice job telling the story of Faust, you all really sell it. AWESOME!! Hornline, OMG I LOVE YOU!! :lol: (Especially that low brass section :lol: ) 'Scynthian Suite' is amazing! Ballad = EAR CANDY (and again I love low brass) The trumpets to baris, WOOOOHOOO! Loved it, and that drumline...OH MY GOODNESS! The entire show...AAAAAAAAAWWWWWW GAAAAAAWSH!! I LOVE it. This show is very well designed. To the design team at Phantom Regiment, you guys hit this right on the nail! I cant say enough good stuff about this show. DCI-Champions anyone?!? I think the one phrase I could think of to describe this is 'total package', and/or 'solid'. I really really really like this show.

p.s.: did I mention that Phantom has a REALLY REALLY REALLY good low brass section? :P :lol:

Post-Show: when scores were announced there was kind of a collective gasp in my section when it was announced that Phantom Regiment had lost to Cadets.

If you get to see Phantom's encore...DO IT! I didnt recognize the first piece (sorry :worthy:) then its like solid straight ear candy and butter. 'Canon', then the last movement of the '89 show, then the grand-daddy Phantom song of them all..yes thats right..ladies, throw your babies and gentlemen drool in awe..'Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral'!!

Overall, really good show. Picked up 2 new shirts from the Southwind booth. :)

Sorry but I forgot my camera at home, but if anyone else who attended the show has some, please post them. :)

Well thats it. I hope you enjoyed it. :)

Good luck to all the corps from tonight's show on the rest of your season!

Edited by DCIDanny

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alice, Queen, Hatter, and Rabbit

You know, I guess I'm an absolute numbskull, but it didn't even occur to me that that's who they were supposed to be. Nor to any of the friends or family members who I talked to after the show.

I heard the Phantom encore @ Lisle...that first piece is from the '82 show...the opening of Spartacus...AND, WOW...what a way to start an encore!!!

Are we allowed to post recordings of the encore? If so PM me and I'll send you a link

If not I'll delete this post if someone telling me otherwise also messages me

Thanks for the speedy review. :)

Hey, you didn't thank me for *MY* speedy review, and it was posted at exactly the same time as Danny's! - :lol: - LOL

And yeah, Sprit's bari soloist was probably the best soloist I heard all night. Good stuff from Spirit.

Are we allowed to post recordings of the encore? If so PM me and I'll send you a link

If not I'll delete this post if someone telling me otherwise also messages me

Please post if u can!!!!