Brief Allentown Impressions

2001 Cadets, an awesome show, and quarters-performence perhaps one of the bten best performances , for me, of all time.....it was so good, when it gets so good, its like an out of body experience, I remember during the end of the OTL, I looked up so I couls just see the corps in my view..and said, this is history on the making. THe intensity and wmotion of 2001 Cadets quarters is/was one for the ages. Ill take that anyday than the $#@!#!@!# I saw on the field this past weekend.

Im sorry but strains of "festive overture" takes more talent than yelping into a microphone "Where are we ? "

~G~

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Cadets rehearsal at Allentown, and George (the topic author) is right, the beginning of the show is absolutely ridiculous (The air drumming needs work, though). The ballad is fantastic, with the use of voice tastefully incorporated. The Tea Party section is WGI-ish, with Devs 2003 solos all over the place. The percussion book is head and shoulders above Phantom in difficulty. Consequently, they are quite dirty. If they can clean it up, no one will touch them.

That's not to say Phantom is bad, far from it. Phantom is squeaky clean, and in the lot they came at you like you stole their blankie.

~B

I love 1998 too, my favorite from them actually. I said 19 88, sorry.

Since 2000, I think the Cadets' best show was 2001

Yeah, it's interesting when you take a look at the multitude of styles the Cadets have tried. They seem to be at their best when they do shows like 2000, 2001, 1998, 1992-1997, all the 80s except perhaps 1988. I liked last year, but it wasn't my favorite show. Not sure what I will think this year.

2001 was an interesting year. I think their was so much hype about BD early season, and then Cavaliers passing them mid season, that Cadets 2001 somehow got lost in this shuffle. I saw them in Erie, PA, the only time they beat the Cavaliers, and I could not believe how good that horn line was, and the drums. WOW! And I also was at quarterfinals in Buffalo and I could not believe they were not first. I brought the director of bands from the Dana School of Music with me and he was so blown away by the Cadets that he was simply at a loss for words when they did not win quarterfinals. Maybe they didn't quite deserve the title, but I though they should have won high brass and drums, but I am sure the judges had a reason for putting them in 3rd after they won those captions most of the season.

Jonathan

Your review was not the only positive review of The Cadets. You're right. HOWEVER, no one else has yet to go on and on about how this show could win a championship, or how this and that was superior to every other corps. I guess the majority of reviewers must of have just failed to see it, right? :laugh:

A lot of reviewers failed to 'see it' last year either, right up to champs.