Great time in Stockton

Wow, what a great crowd and show at Moonlight Classic. There was a fantastic turn-out Saturday night, and the crowd was showing lots and lots of love for all the corps. It's always so good to be in an audience that's extra keyed.

I arrived at the stadium a couple hours early for some tailgate action with some longtime friends. I was practically in a tri-tip food coma until we headed over to see the start of the show. I'd seen River City Regiment nip at Renegades back a couple weeks in Modesto and was looking forward to this match up. So the Renegades enter the field, and like always, I feel for the members who have to wear those black smocks when it's about 100 degrees out. Evil, indeed. But the Renegades' show was summed up best by the person sitting behind me. "That was OK," she said when Renegades were done. There's definitely some fun moments in the show, like the lip trills of death, but the program just feels kind of flat in the stands. And I'll say it again: If you're going to do "Stairway to Heaven," why do you leave out the best part of the song (e.g. the "As we wind on down the road" section?) What this arrangement needs is a couple of solo sops going nuts on Jimmy Page's outro solo, while the rest of the corps honks through a A-/G/F progression. Think of how much build up there'd be. C'mon Renegades! It's boring as a ballad ... Now River City Regiment comes on, and they're no Clean Machine by any means but this corps has shown major improvement in all sections, especially guard and drums. I love the heart that they're putting into this year's "en fuego" show, and it is connecting up in the stands. And even though their brass is about half the size of Renegades, River City Regiment has better blend and quality. Believe me, in past years I'd see RCR come on the field and think, "Great, I just drove 45 mins. to see 8 horns with one screamer limp around the field." That's no more. So congrats to RCR and let the competition begin.

After the senior corps, I headed back to our tailgate soiree, and then went to watch some corps warm up. Even though I'm an SCV guy, I spent most of the time watching BD's drums and brass. And all I can say is "THEY BLEW MY FACE OFF!" Wow, what a fantastic and talented group of kids that BD has. The drum line is just burnin' (to quote Chuck Mangione) and the bass drums were just killing me with their rolls. Whew ... and then I went over to hear BD's brass and they were just awesome. They were pumping HUGE amounts of quality sound and are very much in-sync as a line. I love their warm-up exercises, with all the "space" chords and weird flexibility exercises, and when they hit triple-forte, best hold on tight. Loved it!

So now we're heading back to the stadium, and the crowd sounds especially loud in the distance. Perfect ... And we get to our seats right as Blue Knights are coming on. BK really has a solid corps this year, and I can see why they're just a few points below SCV. They have a lot of control over their show and are marching with confidence. I especially like the way they spread the field. I just wish I liked their music more. I'm not always big on that concert-band mumbo jumbo sounding stuff. And then BD comes on and in two seconds I can tell how much better they are now than back in Modesto. The brass and drums were just killer ... shoot, so was the guard. But as much as I like the kids, I just don't like the "Godfather" show design that much. Now I've always been a huge "Godfather" nut, but the movie trilogy doesn't have a whole lot of memorable musical themes. You have the main theme (done by BD's sop soloist), a sweeping theme when the Corleone family is mouring, but that's about it. I do like the way BD plays with those themes (especially the jazzy variation of the theme), but it's like this: It took Francis Ford Coppola three movies to tell the "Godfather" story; can a corps really tell this story of family honor, murder, immigration and assimilation, and underworld mayhem in just 12 mins.? I'm not so convinced.

Anyway, SCV caps the evening, and I'm saying, "Yes! GO SCV!" I really enjoy this show design, with all of the movement and trickiness in the brass book. The guard also looked like it was having a good night. SCV just needs to get better control on this show, because it has huge potential. But I'm rooting for them and feel like they can pull it off ... So after the corps are done, we get the treat of a combined SCV/BD horn line playing some fanfare kind of thing. (anyone know what song that was?) The sight of both hornlines - red and blue next to each other - was truly majestic. Too bad it wasn't very in tune. And after the scores were announced, SCV gets to do an "encore" performance and woo! they were great. The drum line was especially fierce, and some more of that fire needs to come through when they're on the field. By the end of the standstill, many people jumped to their feet. I know I did. And then SCV's brass line played "Clowns" while the rest of the corps huddled up and hugged, and that always gets a lump in my throat. What a way to end the day. Congrats to all the kids out there marching and playing their hearts out. It's really been a fun drum corps season.

Edited by mello916

Was also at the show. I really liked RCR's show...small, small group, but man did they put out a sound. Great drumline and brass!

Not a huge fan of Renegades show this year, at least not yet. I know they have had membership problems, and if anyone can overcome those and still end up on top, it is the Renegades. I have learned to never count out the Renegades!! I thought they fixed the drumline problems, but if I recall, there was only a 2 person tenor line, and 4 in the snareline, and 4 basses. What happened!??! Maybe they are still learning the show. The brass looked a bit smaller as well, and it looked like the colorguard did not have their work completed for the end of the show. But despite membership issues, I think the 2005 edition of Renegades was my absolute favorite: show design, musicianship, drill, special effects, and GE. Just cool all round. Last year rocked! The 2006 edition, so far, has not had that special something. Can't quite explain it. I know that I'm not a big fan of the music selections this year, or maybe it's just the arrangments. I dunno. But the members are working so hard, so we'll see what happens. But to me, playing Stairway To Heaven just seems, well, too "Senior Corp-ish." I know, I know. Flame away. That's just my lame opinion, so don't take it too serriously. But with the talent the Renegades has in both its members and staff, they have been great at thinking outside of the box. But when you start playing rock songs on the football field, or "new and exciting arrangements" of old, standard drum corps classics, it begins to get too much like college marching band, or feeds into that Senior Corps stereotype. Renegades: you guys and gals are seriosly talented! Staff: Amazing who's who of drum corps, with talent galore! Continue to push the boundries of drum corps. And personally, I just get tired of a soprano parking and screeching over and over again. I know you guys have some crazy talented horn guys who can sreech like nobody else, but it just gets old after a while.

Mandarins: like the old unis better. Playing a lot of jazzy stuff. Reminded me a lot of recent Blue Devils, with individuals in the snare and tenor lines breaking off and ramming little solos here and there.

Esperanza: Love their sound and style. Way to go.

Blue Knights: dark show. I love that dark stuff, espeically when performed well. ONce they clean up some more, and start emoting a bit more, watch out!

Blue Devils: first devs show I have really liked in some time. I liked the theme. I tend to really enjoy shows with some type of theme, even more so if there is a story being told with the music and visual package. Not as many individuals breaking off on their own and ramming or screeching little solos every 5 seconds. There is some of that, but not too much. Love the music.

SCV: I'm a huge fan of this all-original show. Good stuff. Brass sounds awesome. Way to go brass!! Drums seem to be improving, but I don't care for the arrangments. Not bad, but I have come to expect a lot of new sounds and textures from SCV percussion sections. This edition is different. But overall, nice show SCV.

P.S. so what do I mean by pushing the envelope, thinking outside of the box? Well these drum crops shows come to mind: SCV 1991, Star 1991, 1993, Cavies 1991, 1992, SCV 1994 and 1995, Renegades 2005, Blue Devils 1995, Cadets 2005.

Edited by yellowbusredux

anybody watch div 2/3?????

impressed with BDB...loved the original music. Large corps, lot's of room to improve and maybe add some more to the GE package. The members really seemd to be emoting throughout the show. Cool stuff.

Thought SCV Cadets were a bit larger than last year. Enjoyed their music as well, but the brass sound was lacking (intonation and overall volume). Percussion is strong, but it sounded like they had an off night. Marching technique was good, and in general, SCV Cadets oozed class and tradition. Would be nice if they could add some more folks to the brass section and put some more emeotion into their show.

I missed Fever's performance tonight. Sorry.

impressed with BDB...loved the original music. Large corps, lot's of room to improve and maybe add some more to the GE package. The members really seemd to be emoting throughout the show. Cool stuff.

Thought SCV Cadets were a bit larger than last year. Enjoyed their music as well, but the brass sound was lacking (intonation and overall volume). Percussion is strong, but it sounded like they had an off night. Marching technique was good, and in general, SCV Cadets oozed class and tradition. Would be nice if they could add some more folks to the brass section and put some more emeotion into their show.

I missed Fever's performance tonight. Sorry.

Soooo...was Pacific Crest not at this performance?!?! :laugh:

yeah, they were there

i didnt watch though

i just watched SCV's drumline parking lot and the end of BD and all of SCV's performance

Yes, I thought they had a good show. I've always liked the City of Angels music. They played really strong, though it seemed like there were some balance issues here and there, as the melodies weren't always cutting through the way I would like to hear them.

As for the person asking about Div. II/III, here's some thoughts (I didn't take notes or anything, so bear with me):

Impulse - I love the soundtrack to Charlie and the Chocolate factory, so it was enjoyable to watch. The hornline is smaller this year, and they're being dwarfed a bit by the sound of the battery, not because of its size but because of the intensity they pplay with. Led to some balance issues early on in the show. What I really missed is the corps' personality. In previous years they would come on all yelling, running, and screaming, with antics reminiscant of VK. None of that at all now, and with a show like this it kind of screams for it. The show doesn't end - it just stops. I guess the closer isn't on there yet? Made for an awkward finish.

Fever - Another corps smaller than in previous years. Some real intonation problems from the uppers right at the start. Lowers were much more solid. I don't think this show is finished either...but it seems to have a good design to it. Will enjoy seeing how far they go with it.

BDC - Well, you have to love this show. Much larger this year than in previous ones, and the playing quality has improved immensely. Still a couple of the little ones who haven't quite got the sense of when to start and stop, and put horns up or down, but you don't tend to care. They have a deep well of exceptionally talented soloists, including one contra who is really solid. I can't recall ever hearing BDC play music at this level before. The theming was perfect, connected with the audience. I don't think I could get tired of watching this show. And, you got to love the Ghostbusters encore as the rest of the corps is marching off. Great job!

BDB - Holy crap these guys are on fire! Corps much larger this year, plays and marches with great intensity and very well. In previous years, I haven't enjoyed their programs to be honest, but I really enjoy this years. Was thoroughly enjoyable to watch and hear.

SCVC - I also had trouble getting into SCVC's music the last few years, and this year doesn't seem to be much of an exception I'm afraid. I think the drill is a bit too difficult, and is coming off as being not so clean. But they do perform with some intensity, and you can tell they are working hard out there. I particularly enjoyed the ballad though, although it hasn't reached it's full potential yet. Should be really, really nice by the end of the year.

PC's show was one of my favorites of the night. I did not get back to the stands until after the div II/III corps, bit I did see all of the div I.

PC's show is reminiscent of my era of junior corps (80's) and I really enjoyed it. The music was more like the 80's, but with todays precision both musically and visually. I would like to see more corps go in this direction since it seems so much more fan friendly. I believe they got the best crowd response behind BD and SCV.

Esperanza's show did not grab me at all. Their brass seems a bit weak, but that may be due to the large number of brass they have added recenetly. Their performance was fine, but the show was not memorable.

I saw the Cascades bith Friday and Saturday and I think their show has a lot of potential. I felt they should have been above Esperanza, but I can see how the scores went the way they did since Cascades are not as clean. I am sure they will make up ground quickly.

Mandarins show is much cleaner then two weeks ago, but I think their brass will hold them back this year. I hope they surprise me and make semi's again. I am always rooting for my local corps.

Blue Knight's had very impressive drill, but I could not get into the music. It reminded me a lot of the recent Blue Devils books with big hits, chopped of music and big chords, but an actual melody was hard to find. The music did not seem to go anywhere. The beginning, middle and end all sounded prety much the same. One thing that was relly cool is a swirl drill that starts with one guard member and then ends up with most of the corps involved. It was very fluid and reminded me of how schools of fish move.

BD and SCV have improved greatly. There have been plenty of better reviews then what I can give so I will leave it at that.

Thanks for the kind words about our show this year. It helps to know people are actually enjoying what we put on the field.

Edited by Jeffreelancer

Thanks for the review! I love the style, made me feel like we were sharing some drinks after the show. :laugh:

Of the corps that I won't get to see live this year, BK is the one I most wish that I could. They're music is right up my alley, and if you can appreciate the show without liking the music, I have a feeling I'll be more than pleased.