The Cavaliers 2007 Percussion

With regards to endorsements... just how lucrative are endorsements for caption heads or instructors? What kind of money can they earn from an equipment manufacturer?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With regards to endorsements... just how lucrative are endorsements for caption heads or instructors? What kind of money can they earn from an equipment manufacturer?

Well, I doubt Casella will leave. Why hire him to write for just one season? By the way...he is not their Percussion Caption Head. His title is Percussion Arranger.

Question for anyone in the know: Is Casella on tour with the Cavaliers? Has he been out on tour with Cavies at all this summer, or did he just come to camps before the summer got going? From what I hear, his last couple of seasons with SCV, he was just the arranger. He came to camps, but he didn't go on tour with them, and didn't spend much time with them in the summer. I remember his early years with SCV, he was a very hands-on instructor in additon to writing, and he was a GREAT ensemble technician too. Does he/has he done any teaching or ensemble work with the Cavies this season, or is he strictly their percussion arranger?

By the way: I think it would be great if the Cavies went to Pearl Drums. I love the sound of Pearls, especially tenors and basses. His writing seems to come even more alive with the sound of Pearls (not that they sound bad on Yamahas...not at all!!) I think his writing, together with their current teaching staff, could even make Ludwig Drums sing! Casella didn't switch SCV to Pearls...they had used Pearls for years and years, and when he became SCV Caption Head and Arranger, SCV just continued on with them since they already had a long a successful relationship prior to his arrival. And I have a feeling that after a few years of SCV Percussion success under Casella, Pearl offered him an endorsement contract of some kind which he has had up until now. So who knows, maybe he'll become an endorser for Yamaha instead, or if he truly likes the sound and quality of Pearl better, he'll try and switch the Cavies over to them.

As far as endorsements go, it actually can get in the way and get messy. That is partially why Jim left SCV in 2005 (he started off the early part of 2005 still with SCV). But then problems with what sticks/mallets they were going to use (he endorses Innovative, Mr. Gusseck-who was caption head- endorsed Vic Firth), caused some friction, so Jim left so that there wouldn't be any endorsement conflicts. It shouldn't be that way. Just because an individual professionaly endorses/uses particular mallets, sticks, drums, whatever, doesn't mean that the group they are working with should HAVE to use those products too, especially if they have a long and proud tradition using something else, or their caption head wants to try something else or endorses something different than the arranger.

I dont think the Cavaliers, more than 50 years old with much tradition and respect with many WC & drum titles behind their belt, wouldnt have any problems saying "adiós".

If this is just speculation, then leave it as boredom...if it has any ring of truth, one just has to ask "who exactly is cassella?"

BTW, there isnt that huge of a difference of percussion products. depending on how you arrange, tune, combination of keyboards, selection of heads, mallets, sticks, etc. have more of a difference. behind the scenes with customer support, hardware maintenence, durability may be the bigger comparisons.

Chevy vs. ford, Mercedes vs. bmw, coke vs pepsi, pearl vs. yammies....its all in the marketing to the public and a bit of mouth to mouth propaganda. why do you think iPod is so popular...quality? guess majorly again, it ranks very low compared to even generic brands.

Edited by walder

why do you think iPod is so popular...quality? guess majorly again, it ranks very low compared to even generic brands.

Quoted for Truth.

I had an Archos MP3 Jukebox for about 4 years before the first iPod came out. It survived 2 drum corps tours. That thing was one of the most rugged pieces of technology I have ever owned. Now I have an IRiver. It is also a great player. I don't think I will ever buy an iJunk.

Just because an individual professionaly endorses/uses particular mallets, sticks, drums, whatever, doesn't mean that the group they are working with should HAVE to use those products too.

That is the point of the contract. You promise to use their equipment, they promise to give you discounts, sometimes free stuff, etc.

My own personal educational endorsement contract states that all groups I teach must use the equipment of that company unless otherwise approved by them in special situations.

I do think the organization is bigger than the individual though. The fact Yamaha has horns and Pearl does not makes this an open and shut case to me. Yamaha is not going to give up their horns absed on one individuals contract. When the Cadets switched to Yamaha, I know the drumline staff wanted to stay with Pearl but the organization contract with Yamaha won out.

Pearl is beginning to have some serious issues remaining competitive and keeping their market share. Dynasty has horns and is virtually taking over the indoor percussion activity. Yamaha has horns. Even Ludwig has horns. Pearl has no connections to a horn company. Groups are definitely more likely to go with a group that can put horns and drums into a discounted package.

I dont know what will happen with the Cavaliers and Jim Casella but two other similiar situations currently:

Colin McNutt and Madison- He endores Pearl they are a long time Yamaha corps. This is his third year there.

Paul Rennick and Phantom: Paul just became a Dynasty endorser thru his UNT teaching gig. and Phantom is still w/ Pearl Drums.

Who knows where this will lead.

As far as endorsements go, it actually can get in the way and get messy. That is partially why Jim left SCV in 2005 (he started off the early part of 2005 still with SCV). But then problems with what sticks/mallets they were going to use (he endorses Innovative, Mr. Gusseck-who was caption head- endorsed Vic Firth), caused some friction, so Jim left so that there wouldn't be any endorsement conflicts.

:spit:

[

QUOTE(KenDrum @ Jul 3 2006, 11:32 PM) *

Paul Rennick and Phantom: Paul just became a Dynasty endorser thru his UNT teaching gig. and Phantom is still w/ Pearl Drums.quote name=dmfootworks' date='Jul 3 2006, 09:47 PM' post='1458349]

What a relief for Phantom, I would say.

:spit:

funny stuff.

And probably true ;)

--

doug