Music is "kewl" Allentown Review

Like it or not Cadets will likely be your 2006 champions.

:lol:

I'm a little shocked by how straightforward you are when you say that.

but, I'll just disagree. Not get mad at the blatantnes of your statement, because The Cadets are obviously a frontrunner to win DCI this year. I'm still of mindset The Cavaliers will prevail this year, and if a corps beats them, it will be BD.

~>conner

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw, G, nice review. I think it's great that you decided to at least give The Cadets a chance before getting a hotdog.

~>conner

At Allentown in 1991 Cadets were booed (roundly) for beating a certain other corps

Um...what? Now, I know my memory is kinda fuzzy regarding stuff from 15 years ago, but I clearly remember hearing by the food truck in the morning that Cadets had placed 4th at Allentown that year...and had lost to Crossmen in the process (as well as BD and Cavaliers). Who the heck did they beat to get booed? Boston? Spirit? Florida Wave???

The only time I can remember Cadets being booed in 1991 was when they were (mistakenly) announced in 1st place at the first competition against Regiment...I think it was West Chester, though, not Allentown.

You're not alone George. I followed the Cadets all winter and saw how good this corps could be. Don't let people beat you down about the Cadets. First, you are entitled to your opinions (just as the anti-Cadets folks are), and second, you're correct on your assessment of the Cadets. If they can clean this show, they will be in a league of their own by the end of this season. What a stellar job their design team has done this year.

The thing is...

It sounds like you guys never take into account how good the OTHER teams can be as well. It's like some of you guys believe that while Cadets will keep perfecting their show and getting better, Cavaliers and Blue Devils (who are clearly the other front-runners right now) are just going to stagnate. Let's face it...everything that George said about the Cadets can be said by someone else regarding the other two corps, simply because it is biased opinion (is there any other kind?)

But you know what? The fact is, good as the Cadets are, they've won only one title in the last 5 years, while Cavaliers have won 3. Previous success is no indicator of future performance, but...it's hard to count out the guys from Rosemont simply because they have just as good a design team as Cadets do. So do Devils for that matter. It's not a foregone conclusion, and for some of you to sit here and boldy proclaim that your favourite corps is DEFINITELY going to win the title is a tad arrogant.

As a follower of a corps that only rarely sniffs a chance at the title, and has historically not been as good as Cadets, I'm beginning to wonder if all this success hasn't bred an awful lot of unrealistic expectation on the part of the fans, and a bit of smugness as well. I suppose it can be viewed as a defensive shield against the many Cadets detractors out there...but I am starting to believe a down year or two would be the best thing that could happen to the Cadets. Statistically speaking, no "dynasty" can stand. It might be the best thing to shake off the "hanger-on"s that surround a successful program. Not to mention that stagnation isn't good, ever.

I suppose it can be viewed as a defensive shield against the many Cadets detractors out there...but I am starting to believe a down year or two would be the best thing that could happen to the Cadets. Statistically speaking, no "dynasty" can stand. It might be the best thing to shake off the "hanger-on"s that surround a successful program. Not to mention that stagnation isn't good, ever.

uh - they've only won once since 2000 - that's been the "downer" era you speak of IMO. They also lost the "edge" I used to love about them - and starting about mid-last season - started to fall in love with again. A lot of us "looked the other way" for few years when Cadets lost the edge to Star, and then to Cavaliers - then we grew bored and more and more critical. Cadets have regained that edge now - they do the unexpected, out-of-the-box thing that has been sorely lacking most years since 1991.

The shake-off period you speak of has already happened IMO.

Um...what? Now, I know my memory is kinda fuzzy regarding stuff from 15 years ago, but I clearly remember hearing by the food truck in the morning that Cadets had placed 4th at Allentown that year...and had lost to Crossmen in the process (as well as BD and Cavaliers). Who the heck did they beat to get booed? Boston? Spirit? Florida Wave???

The only time I can remember Cadets being booed in 1991 was when they were (mistakenly) announced in 1st place at the first competition against Regiment...I think it was West Chester, though, not Allentown.

In Allentown AT prelims.

I think he's talking about prelims when they came in 2nd, ahead of us (Crossmen) in 3rd and BD in 4th. I don't recall any specific booing. If memory serves, I was standing on the concourse talking to a friend and the scores were being put up on the board on the track. I remember hearing cheers for us beating BD, but no boos. But who the heck knows, like you said, it was 15 years ago!

The Cadets were booed at a couple eastern shows that season. Kingston, NY was the one I recall the most. I guess the crowd thought we should have beaten them, so they booed. Seems like it was a combination of not caring much for the Cadets show or massively approving of our show, because I don't recall any booing at any other shows other than east coast shows where it was pretty much us and them competing for first place. All the regionals and other shows in midwest and south, I don't recall any booing. Just in the northeast.

Now if we could only find a way to generate 1.21 gigawatts (sp?). Anyone have a DeLorean?? :)

uh - they've only won once since 2000 - that's been the "downer" era you speak of IMO. They also lost the "edge" I used to love about them - and starting about mid-last season - started to fall in love with again. A lot of us "looked the other way" for few years when Cadets lost the edge to Star, and then to Cavaliers - then we grew bored and more and more critical. Cadets have regained that edge now - they do the unexpected, out-of-the-box thing that has been sorely lacking most years since 1991.

The shake-off period you speak of has already happened IMO.

Oh, I don't think that really qualifies as a down period. I mean, 1989 and 1991 were much poorer productions (although, to be honest, I really dig 1989 for entertainment value). SCV didn't win the title for 4 years while still placing 2nd...I wouldn't categorize it as a down period for them, nor would I categorize 5 years of Top 3 finishes as "down." Would you? Really? Regardless of whether they had that "edge" you say you need, can you really say they were down?

How about yours, you might want to cover that up. :P

After reading both your words, I think it drives home the point that no one can ever speak for the rest of the audience. Two people, two very different thoughts as to what the rest of the audience thought of the show, and it just so happens both of you think the audience agrees with you. The only thing we can ever ask a review to do is to give us the author's opinion. Biased or not, I've generally come to determine who is biased on these boards, and which way they lean. Speaking for any else, though, is purely speculation.

When I read a good review, and there have been a few, I usually can't tell who the writer favors unless he comes out with it. On the other hand, it seems most of you reviewers can't wait to dimiss the good just to list your 'this is what I don't like about the shows'. Unfortunately it seems like the Cadets have gotten the grunt of that -- I wonder why? Are they really that bad?

George my hat goes off to you for making such a brave and bold statement about Cadets repeating (you said; like it or not). Let's just say if we were at a wedding we'd be sitting on the same side of the church. I saw the Cadets in Westminster, MD last week after already seeing them several times and they are starting to make the necessary additions to their production. Their show has so much potential and there is lots is the workings - why don't you just take the time to ask the kids who perform. The only corps I know who places members by their souvenir truck. Make a visit and see what's up; they have no secrets. I can tell you this; come August there's not a corps who can turn it up like the Cadets no matter what their placement is going into championship week. Its a safe bet to say the Cadets will be performing very late on championship night in Madison.

Irving

Fan of the Arts