Drums on Parade - Madison

OK...so, it's 1am here in Chicago, but I'm wired from just getting back from Madison's home show, Drums on Parade. A wonderful venue (James Madison Memorial HS Stadium), a perfect night for drum corps (after earlier threats of thunderstorms), and - according to the public official who gave a welcome introduction to the crowd, the oldest annual drum corps show in North America (just taking her quote, so don't blame the messenger)...

REHEARSAL/CLINIC - The Scouts did a clinic in the afternoon for about 150-200 students and attendees of the show. It was pretty much like every other clinic...except for the beginning when the sections break off and invite folks to observe where they have interest, either brass, percussion or guard...added a nice touch, especially when the brass section had a volunteer come up and conduct the tuning cord, which was a cute little touch.

THE SHOW:

There were 8 corps performing this evening - 1 Div.3 (Capital Sound), 1 Div.2 (Colt Cadets), and the rest Div. 1 (in order of appearance - Pioneer, Bluecoats, Colts, Cavaliers, Capital Regiment, and Madison Scouts). A nice lineup, but I was still hoping to see Blue Stars, who were in Dixon, IL headlining a small show, with only a few other groups. Would have been nice to have those corps here and make this show really strong...but, can't have everything...

CAPITAL SOUND - Heard they had recruiting difficulties, and the numbers showed it (14/10/6). However, they are one of the few small groups that I've seen/heard that haven't tried to over-program their show. Music was accessible (Danny Elfman...some of his lesser known works), and the drill was condensed to the field...they didn't try to cover the whole thing. They had fun entertaining the crowd, with multiple soloists who weren't half bad. With a fuller D-3 corps, this show would definitely contend for a medal at finals. Kudos to their staff for giving the kids something fun, and to the kids for not letting size affect how they performed.

COLT CADETS - Another accessible show (I like this concept)...It's obvious these kids are still learning the craft...this is not a bad thing, just an observation. The show was based on music from police/detective shows (Dragnet, Charlie's Angels, and others). Entertaining, but their brass staff tries to let these kids loose too much, and they suffered a lot of intonation problems. However, they are cute, decent sized, and are working their tails off. I'm definitely a sucker for cute...and they have that in spades. Yes, there are technical issues...but, hey, they came, performed and got a deserved standing ovation for it. Not too shabby for day's work.

PIONEER - They've definitely improved in the two weeks since I last them at Lisle. However, I still think their Emeraldscapes show is way too esoteric for them. Their percussion is still way advanced from their horns & guard. However, their brass seem to want to let loose, but this show doesn't let them. I am truly convinced that, with a show other than the standard Irish-themed ones that Pioneer puts out every year...and, more accessible music, the horns would let loose. I did like that they trooped the stands playing an Irish piece (don't know the name, but it's probably the corps song). A nice departure from simply marching by. A definite plus!

BLUECOATS - I was really surprised that they drew the final spot before intermission. A major departure...but, I guess that's how scheduling goes nowadays - anyone can go on at anytime. OK...another MAJOR improvement since Lisle. Horns...OMG!!! Guard...AMAZING!!! Percussion...YEAH!!! The total package that everyone out here has been talking about. Their opener (from Cirque du Soliel) is fast/furious and energizing. Guard is really in sinc here, and could be in-line for the guard title this year. Horns a sharp, crisp and movin'...love that. Only percussion issue (and it was a constant theme this evening)...TURN DOWN THE VOLUME ON THE AMP!!! There is a steel drum utilized in this show (which is cool), but the volume drowned out a lot of the field percussion/brass sound. Amps are supposed to support the pit, not overtly magnify it. However, in the grand scheme, this is my favorite BLOOOOO show...PERIOD.

INTERMISSION...just the right length (15-20 min)...gave time to stretch and wander briefly, but not enough to get bored.

COLTS - This show is definitely going to compete for spot on Saturday night's line-up. Their show, based on As Time Goes By, is rock solid. Every section is strong, and the theme is constant throughout. While not as WOW as Bluecoats, I was still impressed by sound being generated, and the talent of the kids...Nothing stands out as being better, or worse...solid package.

CAVALIERS - The machine has added a lot since Lisle...and, I still haven't seen even half of the gags/kitsch/visual gems that Cavies have thrown into this production. Drill is very clean for this time of year, and the guard is clicking on all cylinders (the ballad choreography is particularly mesmerizing...great work between the duos and their equipment). The ending kind of fell flat for reasons I can't explain...probably just a glitch. However, there is a feast for the senses in this show. Absolutely fantastic!

CAPITAL REGIMENT - There was a lot to like about them, and a lot to scratch you head about. The show is based on life: work/rest/play. OK, why do so many corps have to do shows with esoteric themes like, "Life," "The Elements," and other such obscure themes? I just don't get the entertainment value in doing something that gets my mind wandering away from the performance and focused on other things. This is a small rant, but needs to be said (sorry Cap Reg, you have to be the recipient)...This is not a bad show (guard costumes are bright and cute), and it's not being executed badly. However, there's not enough to capture the audiences attention, and they suffer in a lot of ways. Kids are working hard, and put out a solid product. Just really don't care for the show concept.

MADISON SCOUTS - OK, so a lot has been said about this show..."What are they playing?" "It's not Madison." Well, it is Madison. Yes, it's different, but the horns have a Madison flare to them, and the corps members carry themselves like the Scouts of yesteryear. I'm very mixed about this show, in terms of whether it works for me...There are great moments, like the openning with the horns body movement while the bass drums are literally running through them...The openning horn hit is in-your-face Madison, and I always like a Myron Rosander drill. I get the guard uniforms, but they are WAY TOO BUSY (my first reaction when I saw them was, "oh look...Madison is doing the Lion King...I kid you not). The actual guard performance is solid...actually, rather strong...but, these costumes/uniforms just distract way too much. I don't think Madison is suffering from the show concept...rather, from execution. There are brief moments of sheer brilliance...then, a lazy mistake. Attention to detail is a big achilles heal for them. The have the enthusiasm, but are really lacking, dare I say it, passion (while on the field, mind you - their standstill concert was another story all together). If they marched like they play standing still, we'd be talking about a possible third championship.

ENCORE - Madison came out and simply shook the stands from their foundation. After I thought they ran out of gas during the competition, they suddenly found a second wind and delivered a goose-bump creating earthquake of sound and passion that I want to see them employ on the field. They performed their opener, followed by Ice Castles....Sweet. Then, the moment of the evening...All alumni were invited down to the track to join the current members in singing Never Walk Alone to the rest of the audience (most of whom were still there). What an incredible feeling of joining the brothers for this emotional moment...yes, I eat the traditional stuff up.

Anyway...enjoy, comment, disagree...but, that's the way I see it.

woo hoo! i hope that gets some other people excited about DCI this year- i know it did for me! thanks!

Thanks for the great review. Wat to go.

I think I was the one sitting behind you earlier during the clinic. I used that 'Lion King' analogy at least 3 times last night, told you I would steal it.

Anyways, about the steel drum in the Coats show, I don't know if I agree with the drums being overpowering, but I do take issue with whether or not it fits the program at all. One minute you're hearing this awesome riff from the hornline, then they all cut out and you hear . . . steel drums? Didn't fit for me.

Great review, thanks. Did you review in order of performance? Bluecoats went on before intermission AND Capital Regiment?! No offense to CR, but the Bluecoats were in the top 5....top 5 corps should NOT precede a semifinalist corps except on rare exemptions (home show, etc). Did the rules change this year and if so why? Fill me in....

DW

Great review, thanks. Did you review in order of performance? Bluecoats went on before intermission AND Capital Regiment?! No offense to CR, but the Bluecoats were in the top 5....top 5 corps should NOT precede a semifinalist corps except on rare exemptions (home show, etc). Did the rules change this year and if so why? Fill me in....

DW

The performance lineup was:

Capital Sound

Colt Cadets

Pioneer

Bluecoats

intermission

Colts

Cavaliers

Capital Regiment

Madison Scouts

I don't think performance order is in any way governed by anything.. and I believe this show (with the exception of Scouts) is a random order draw from among Div I.

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

DW

Yeah, I was a bit disturbed by Blooo going on when they did, and also felt Cap Reg got jobbed by performing between Cavaliers and Madison. However, since the "smaller" show lineups are determined by a "blind draw," it means something like this could happen. Not really fair for either Bluecoats OR Cap Reg.

NOW ON A SIDE NOTE: I forgot to mention that I was, and still am, very disturbed that Pioneer wasn't even represented at "Retreat" (quotations because I do not consider what is currently being done with simply drum majors/guard captains to be a real retreat)...why, for the love of all that's holy, could they not stay? Their next city is home, which is less than 100 miles away. Now, I don't know the circumstances, but I can't imagine something sooooooooo drastic that they had to leave before the finale...

OK...Rant over.

Hey Marc! Greetings from sunny Southern Cal bro! B) Miss you out here, esp. during drum corps season.

I really wish I could see Cavaliers, Bluecoats and Madison live. Guess that's one of the perks about moving back East (well, "eastward" anyway).

I can hardly wait until Denver, CO, on the 15th and San Antonio, TX, on the 22nd when all of these guys bang into each other! Should be quite a collision! b**bs

Then, the moment of the evening...All alumni were invited down to the track to join the current members in singing Never Walk Alone to the rest of the audience (most of whom were still there). What an incredible feeling of joining the brothers for this emotional moment...yes, I eat the traditional stuff up.

Scout alumni or not, that had to have been pretty amazing! :blink: